• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Snowbirds And Glocks (Again?)

I searched already-Could not find a specific answer.
I am a Ma. resident who owns a home in Florida that I live in 4-6 months a year. I am currently in Florida. A local dealer has a new Glock that I want (and he will sell me). When I come home how can I legally transfer it to Ma. I want to keep it permanently in Ma. Can I just get the gun home and fa it somehow or just transfer the frame? I want it to be 100% legal.

are you a Florida resident or a Massachusetts resident?

If you are a MA resident, I would question how a Florida FFL can sell you a pistol and deliver it to you here (read PS below)

Private party.... legally you need to be a resident, but what goes on between 2 individuals privately is none of my business.

Now if you are a FL resident, in theory when you come back to MA for the summer, you need do nothing except leave the high capacity magazines here

You are not a MA resident so you have no duty to record the transaction..... but we can have a discussion on holding a MA resident LTC with a legal domicile in Florida.

If you are a MA resident you have to eFA-10 within a certain number of days of it arriving in MA, leave the seller blank fill in the rest

EDIT PS: I know there are FFL's that will take the Federal ruling of "where you lay your head at night is where you are a resident" thing, and as long as you have titles, deeds, utility bills and the like in your name with a Florida address they will sell to you and it is legal. If the SHTF in the future, just have your lawyer say you were a FL resident at the time of purchase, and legally you were. I consider myself a FL resident when I am here and a NH resident when I cross the border back into NH for such matters

It was a lot easier when you could get a Florida state issued resident ID but they stopped that a while back when thay made it illegal to have drivers licences in more than one state. One of the things it allowed you to do, in addition to buy guns, was to get the resident rates on tickets for Mousewitcz and other tourist traps. There is a deep discount for FL residents at all the theme parks, but you need a FL license or ID to get it

Last edited:
I searched already-Could not find a specific answer.
I am a Ma. resident who owns a home in Florida that I live in 4-6 months a year. I am currently in Florida. A local dealer has a new Glock that I want (and he will sell me). When I come home how can I legally transfer it to Ma. I want to keep it permanently in Ma. Can I just get the gun home and fa it somehow or just transfer the frame? I want it to be 100% legal.
if you do have MA LTC - that you need to do is same if you just bought it or moved into state - you just go to this site:

click the 'Register' line - second on the left, do not enter any seller info and register it. that is all.

If you are a MA resident, I would question how a Florida FFL can sell you a pistol and deliver it to you here (read PS below)

Private party.... legally you need to be a resident, but what goes on between 2 individuals privately is none of my business.

Now if you are a FL resident, in theory when you come back to MA for the summer, you need do nothing except leave the high capacity magazines here

You are not a MA resident so you have no duty to record the transaction..... but we can have a discussion on holding a MA resident LTC with a legal domicile in Florida.

If you are a MA resident you have to eFA-10 within a certain number of days of it arriving in MA, leave the seller blank fill in the rest

EDIT PS: I know there are FFL's that will take the Federal ruling of "where you lay your head at night is where you are a resident" thing, and as long as you have titles, deeds, utility bills and the like in your name with a Florida address they will sell to you and it is legal. If the SHTF in the future, just have your lawyer say you were a FL resident at the time of purchase, and legally you were. I consider myself a FL resident when I am here and a NH resident when I cross the border back into NH for such matters

It was a lot easier when you could get a Florida state issued resident ID but they stopped that a while back when thay made it illegal to have drivers licences in more than one state. One of the things it allowed you to do, in addition to buy guns, was to get the resident rates on tickets for Mousewitcz and other tourist traps. There is a deep discount for FL residents at all the theme parks, but you need a FL license or ID to get it
ATF rules on dual residency are pretty clear:

Thanks for the help. I am a Massachusetts resident but I own a home in Florida that I reside in 4-6 months of the year. The FFL is willing to sell me whatever I want because I have a current property tax bill in my name -I am not asking him how or why. I just want to make sure that when I come back to Ma. that it comes back legally and permanently.

It is perfectly legal for the FFL to sell you a handgun in Florida since you own property there. If you have a Florida CCW you can take possession immediately. Otherwise there is a waiting period.

So much wrong here. ATF allows dual residency for purchases in the state that you are currently residing. As shown by Behind Enemy Lines

I am not asking him how or why.
See the post above yours.

There are lots of definitions of "resident." BATFE's interpretation is different than e.g. IRS's. While you're living in FL, you're a FL resident in the eyes of BATFE. So buying there is 100% legal.

When you come home, register via eFA-10 within 7 days. Folks above gave you the link. Then your possession is 100% is 100% legal. As noted, make sure you don't accidentally bring any post-ban mags larger than 10 rounds

There is no requirement to register when you move to the state that I am aware of.
There is a requirement to register if you hold a resident LTC and bring a firearm you own into the Commonwealth and intend on having it remain here beyond a short window.

If you move to the Commonwealth with firearms, then get an LTC, there is no backwards looking registration requirement, but anything you acquire and bring into the Commonwealth moving forward needs to have the registration completed.

There is a requirement to register if you hold a resident LTC and bring a firearm you own into the Commonwealth and intend on having it remain here beyond a short window.

If you move to the Commonwealth with firearms, then get an LTC, there is no backwards looking registration requirement, but anything you acquire and bring into the Commonwealth moving forward needs to have the registration completed.
That's a good distinction. I was only thinking of situation # 2 as "moving."

See the post above yours.

There are lots of definitions of "resident." BATFE's interpretation is different than e.g. IRS's. While you're living in FL, you're a FL resident in the eyes of BATFE. So buying there is 100% legal.

When you come home, register via eFA-10 within 7 days. Folks above gave you the link. Then your possession is 100% is 100% legal. As noted, make sure you don't accidentally bring any post-ban mags larger than 10 rounds
Yup. If you have a MA resident LTC, just FA-10 it within 7 days. And leave any post-ban 11+ rd mags in Florida.

It’s as simple as that.

i do not think you want to end up ever caught with any firearm while in MA that is not in that stupid database and binded on to your LTC. even if it is theoretically not required.

i do not think you want to end up ever caught with any firearm while in MA that is not in that stupid database and binded on to your LTC. even if it is theoretically not required.
MA has made you so fearful that you’re trying to comply with things that aren’t law. There are many lawful reasons why a gun of yours wouldn’t be in the database.

MA has made you so fearful that you’re trying to comply with things that aren’t law. There are many lawful reasons why a gun of yours wouldn’t be in the database.
yeah, i do live here for long enough to know better. i can always prove i am innocent when assumed by cops to be guilty.

Cite?

Do you want someone else to end up ever caught with any firearm while in MA
that is in that stupid database and binded on to your LTC?

Because every firearm whose acquisition you ever binded on to your LTC in that stupid database
will forever be binded on to your LTC in that stupid database.
Even guns whose sale to someone else you register.
Even guns you move out of state with.
Even after you no longer have an LTC.
Even after you die.

yeah, i do live here for long enough to know better. i can always prove i am innocent when assumed by cops to be guilty.
Massachusetts has a legal term
for someone who can prove that they are innocent
when assumed by cops to be guilty: guilty.

Some good, some bad, some trying to scare the OP for no good reason!!!

You do NOT transfer anything that you already own , period. You merely move your personal goods. You leave behind post-ban large capacity mags and register the gun within 7 days of bringing it into MA. Use registration option and SKIP the screen asking where you got the gun.

If you own/lease residences in two or more states, you can legally purchase in each state while you are residing there. BATFE is perfectly clear on this and even gives examples. Some FFLs won't deal, so you move on to another FFL who is proficient in reading plain English.

Enjoy!

This is so full of needless fear, uncertainty and doubt it hurts my head.

Buy the gun in FL. You are a resident of FL when you are down there.

Leave the standard capacity mags in FL.

Bring it to MA in compliance with the safe passage portion of FOPA.

Register it on the states eFA10 portal. Use the registration selection and leave the seller part blank.

Buy some 10 round cripple-mags

Enjoy the gun.

Don

Close the thread.

Buy in Florida.... go to strip club? Leave glock in Florida buy second glock for more money in mass.

Trying to help you out...but honey the guys on the gun forum said I had to hit the strip club

Cite?

Do you want someone else to end up ever caught with any firearm while in MA
that is in that stupid database and binded on to your LTC?

Because every firearm whose acquisition you ever binded on to your LTC in that stupid database
will forever be binded on to your LTC in that stupid database.
Even guns whose sale to someone else you register.
Even guns you move out of state with.
Even after you no longer have an LTC.
Even after you die.

Massachusetts has a legal term
for someone who can prove that they are innocent
when assumed by cops to be guilty: guilty.
Supposition:

You have a "Primary" residence in Massachusetts and a resident LTC

You have a Winter Home in Florida

You have a hunting camp in Pennsylvania.

You buy a rifle in Florida with the intent to deliver it to your hunting camp.

You fly to Massachusetts from Florida with your rifle, spend the night at your home in Massachusetts, then drive to Pennsylvania.

I would not think you would be required to register the rifle and it is not in Massachusetts for more than transitory purposes.

Similarly, if you have primary residence in Mass, but a Summer home in RI and purchased a shotgun in RI, and brought it to Duck hunting camp in Maine, would you be expected to register the shotgun in Mass as you drove through Mass to get to Maine?

Supposition:
It's like the Lenni Lenape Creation Story
supposition, supposition, supposition all the way down.
(Actually, they just have mud placed atop one turtle by a muskrat;
but let that go
).

In the first (sleepover) case you don't want to get caught by Mass.
There is no law absolving you of the need to register the transaction.
(Now, if you shipped it by some common carrier that happened to transit MA,
it's more arguable that you're not responsible for their routing and it doesn't obligate you).
Neither does the PRM have a special Gun Radar that reveals whether or how long
the gun tarried in Mass before moving onwards.
(Some powers in Mass want you to eFA-10 while still in Florida,
but crap in one hand and hold the gun-owners who file ASAP while out of state in the other,
and see which fills up first
).

In the second case you're actually covered by FOPA as you transit RI => MA => ME,
so you're allowed to possess the gun. It doesn't absolve you of the need to register,
but absent evidence you even drove through there's no way for the clock to start.

You do wrap your cell phone in foil after buying a gun, right? [shocked]

Supposition:

You have a "Primary" residence in Massachusetts and a resident LTC

You have a Winter Home in Florida

You have a hunting camp in Pennsylvania.

You buy a rifle in Florida with the intent to deliver it to your hunting camp.

You fly to Massachusetts from Florida with your rifle, spend the night at your home in Massachusetts, then drive to Pennsylvania.

I would not think you would be required to register the rifle and it is not in Massachusetts for more than transitory purposes.

Similarly, if you have primary residence in Mass, but a Summer home in RI and purchased a shotgun in RI, and brought it to Duck hunting camp in Maine, would you be expected to register the shotgun in Mass as you drove through Mass to get to Maine?
What about your caribou tag in Canada... or your whale tag in Seattle

What about ... your whale tag in Seattle
Gangs-spray-paint-a-rotten-whale-carcass.jpg

whale_8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom