Snowbirds And Glocks (Again?)

Make sure you leave any postban high cap mags in FL and buy some 10 rounders for MA.

Bring home 2. Sell extra for $850. Use proceeds to buy 2-3 prebans. Lol

Or haunt FL gun shows for mostly FML U-notch mags for $50 ea.

Supposition:

You have a "Primary" residence in Massachusetts and a resident LTC

You have a Winter Home in Florida

You have a hunting camp in Pennsylvania.

You buy a rifle in Florida with the intent to deliver it to your hunting camp.

You fly to Massachusetts from Florida with your rifle, spend the night at your home in Massachusetts, then drive to Pennsylvania.

I would not think you would be required to register the rifle and it is not in Massachusetts for more than transitory purposes.

Similarly, if you have primary residence in Mass, but a Summer home in RI and purchased a shotgun in RI, and brought it to Duck hunting camp in Maine, would you be expected to register the shotgun in Mass as you drove through Mass to get to Maine?
You have a certain number of days to register something in MA after you bring it in. I can not provide a citation at this time. I'm busy parenting.

But based on that, you would not need to register it in MA in either case. Remember, MA laws can not restrict your activities in other states.
There is as close to zero risk, contrary to what AHM says, in either case.

The reality is that if the cops are looking into when you got something, you already have big problems. And if they do, cell phone and CC transaction records will show you to be in compliance with MA law.

i do not think you want to end up ever caught with any firearm while in MA that is not in that stupid database and binded on to your LTC. even if it is theoretically not required.
Really? So based on your "opinion" I can't ever borrow a gun from someone to go hunting or to the range?

JFC this state has done such a hell of a job scaring the sheep that people will comply with shit they practically make up in their heads.....just to please "the man". 🙄

Really? So based on your "opinion" I can't ever borrow a gun from someone to go hunting or to the range?

JFC this state has done such a hell of a job scaring the sheep that people will comply with shit they practically make up in their heads.....just to please "the man".
What do you mean "practically"? :rolleyes:

People here are afraid to exercise their rights WITHIN the law. Like you said, made up crap.

Every time you see someone put a trigger lock on their gun to transport home from the range - made up. Unnecessary. Does nothing.

Every time you see someone lock a pistol bag or case to transport home from the range - made up unnecessary (only large capacity rifles and shotguns must be in a locked container)

Every time someone asks "Is it ok to carry into ..." - made up, unnecessary unless its a school or college or very very limited number of other places. (Its the property owner's responsibility to let you know. Not your responsibility to ask or seek out the answer)

p.s. There are a number of ways for someone to lawfully own a firearm that is not on the states list. Its not a registry. Its a transaction database. There are also a number of ways for guns to appear on the database that you no longer own.

Every time you see someone lock a pistol bag or case to transport home from the range - made up unnecessary (only large capacity rifles and shotguns must be in a locked container)
Or contained within the locked trunk of the vehicle.

Just like the bread for your sandwich at the Jersey Shore,
it's your choice.

Yes, I should have included the trunk.

But still. Even that only applies to "large capacity rifles and shotguns".

So if you are going to the range with only unloaded pistols in your gun bag. Just put the bag on the seat next to you, if you want.

Yes, I should have included the trunk.

But still. Even that only applies to "large capacity rifles and shotguns".

So if you are going to the range with only unloaded pistols in your gun bag. Just put the bag on the seat next to you, if you want.
...and don't get yourself pulled over and asked out of the car. ;)

Its legal. I have a copy of the statute in my gun bag.

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(b) No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

Its legal. I have a copy of the statute in my gun bag.

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(b) No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.
I know that. I'm mostly joking, with reference to "direct control" language. There are examples of folks getting jammed up on the claim that they're not in control of the firearm, making it a storage violation when they get out of the car.

Ahh. but notice that the "direct control" restriction only applies to LOADED firearms. Which means loaded handguns.

Which means it applies to your carry gun. Not the unloaded guns in your range bag. So again. If you are going to the range with unloaded pistols in your gun bag. There are no restrictions on how you transport.

Its funny, It took me a while to grasp all of the subtleties of this statute.

Back
Top Bottom