Snowmobile first aid kit / extraction / tools

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
After reviewing the astonishing prices for pre-assembled kits, want to build my own.

Currently have a tackle box with a few combat dressings, large gauze pads, tape, scissors, formable splint, gloves, ointment, and Ibuprofin, Tylenol, and allergy meds. No idea if that actually makes sense for accidents. Have a different kit with survival stuff.

Good thread, I have a similar kit for ATV/SxS use. If I had a sled I would probably add the Klim Emergency Bivvy. If an extract is needed out in the field it could take some time. Keeping the patient from becoming hypothermic could be an issue. If the bag can't go around them because of the injury it can be cut to be used as a blanket.

You may already have this or something similar in the survival pack.

A tourniquet,
a few triangular bandages for splinting and or slinging,
some large safety pins,
a small bottle of chewable aspirin,
an Albuterol inhaler if you can get one from your doc,
a good, small LED flashlight
a good pair of tweezers
some kind of glucose or sugar packets, hard candy
cough drops
some alcohol prep pads
finger and thumb dressings that go over and around the tip of the digit. (fabric type)
salt packets
baking soda in some type of container
rolled gauze/kling
a couple of rolls of vet wrap

A tourniquet,
a few triangular bandages for splinting and or slinging,
some large safety pins,
a small bottle of chewable aspirin,
an Albuterol inhaler if you can get one from your doc,
a good, small LED flashlight
a good pair of tweezers
some kind of glucose or sugar packets, hard candy
cough drops
some alcohol prep pads
finger and thumb dressings that go over and around the tip of the digit. (fabric type)
salt packets
rolled gauze/kling
a couple of rolls of vet wrap

Why chewable aspirin (not regular)?
What is baking soda for?

giphy.gif

I have a similar kit (minus scissors) stored in a wide mouth Nalgene bottle. It seems to fit better in the ski-doo storage trunk and is definitely waterproof
That is a good protip.
Good thread, I have a similar kit for ATV/SxS use. If I had a sled I would probably add the Klim Emergency Bivvy. If an extract is needed out in the field it could take some time. Keeping the patient from becoming hypothermic could be an issue. If the bag can't go around them because of the injury it can be cut to be used as a blanket.

You may already have this or something similar in the survival pack.
The size and cost of some of the rescue bivys out there make it kind of a no brainer to have in just about any kit for any activity.

For a cheap rescue bivy, you can use two large contractor grade trash bags, and a mylar sheet. Very little space and weight. Wrap the whole body with mylar, then slip the lowers into one bag, and the pull the second bag over the uppers, with a hole in the bag cut for the head to poke out. Throwing in a bunch of hand warmer packs also helps.

Next problem is having enough drinking water. You may need more than you brought. If you don't want to deal with a pot, stove and fuel, a black water pouch may help, allowing solar melting of snow.

Some great advice above.
I would just add, consider individual medical needs and medications riders may need if riding far from town. If you are boondocking along the Canadian border it can take a long time to ride out, get cell service and have help arrive. A friend nearly had a very bad outcome from a migraine headache off trail in Maine--the entire event could have likely been avoided if he had his pen injector with him. Same goes for epi-pen, asthma meds, etc. Think about how to keep meds from freezing--some don't like that. Hard to inject epi if it's frozen.

For most of my vehicle kits, I start with an Adventure Medical Kit Adventure First Aid 2.0, replace the scissors with 5" EMT shears, add more gloves and some finger tip band aides. i also keep a couple Israeli bandages with it as they can double as a tourniquet if needed. I use it fairly frequently on trips and vacations, so I make sure to restock it regularly. I also organized the components into zip lock bags to make finding what I am looking for easier.

I have a toolkit made from HFT tools in a nylon pouch for anything on the sled I might need to replace on the trail. I've used it more times than I can count for snowmobile, truck, atv, etc.

If you are going out on a sled you need to be prepared to spend the night IMO. Fire starting materials including a length of hose to extract fuel from your sled is essential. I also carry a ripstop nylon shelter tarp, saw, etc etc.
We have tools and emergency supplies, looking for advice on first aid. My gut feeling is broken bones, concussion etc are more frequently a problem than cuts, for example. But I dunno.

We carry a lot of stuff for self-extraction: 100‘ of line, anchor shackles to use as blocks, eTool, folding saw, etc. And waterproof matches, stainless pot, chem lights, marking tape, etc.

Just realized I have a friend who works on an ATV / Snowmobile rescue squad in Vermont and I should ask him! But he Carrie’s a ton of gear in an Expedition-type sled.

Last edited:
For snowmobile accidents, the most common serious injuries are broken bones. Knowing how to splint broken stuff will be the most useful skill. If it's more than that, the best course is to get that person out and near a hospital is the best thing. Sometimes you can't move them. Shelter and fire need to be made. Cell phones can be used more and more remotely, but a sat phone works everywhere.

A Nalgene is great for a small kit as suggested earlier, I'm going to make up one now for my son to put in his sled's storage.

I've got a two up sled with a built in cargo rack and this Plano extra large storage box fits perfectly and holds a large first aid kit, self rescue equipment and trail side tools.
Amazon product ASIN B001ECQPUWView: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ECQPUW

This smaller version is also nice but check if it fits where you want to put it. I ended up using them for first aid kits for the family's trucks and cars.
Amazon product ASIN B009YSFT7SView: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YSFT7S

Remember to add a headlamp (flashlight at least), warm hat and spare gloves to your snowmobile kit. Tow straps, shovel and hand saw have been the most used tools beyond a spark plug wrench, spare plugs and spare belt. The most used first aid supplies have been band aids for minor cuts, ibuprofen borrowed from the kit at the end of a long day of riding and that's about it.

I have seen two more serious injuries in almost 40 years of riding - one set of broken ribs when someone missed a corner and rode the sled into some saplings and another incident where someone put their leg out at low speed going through a washout and broke their ankle and knee when the sled rolled onto his leg. Both were inexperienced riders either going too fast or riding in conditions they weren't ready for. The guy with the ribs rode his sled back to camp and went to the hospital the next day. The guy with the knee & leg injury had his leg splinted without ever taking his boot and snowpants off and met emergency services at the trailhead just a few miles away after riding double up back there.

Last edited:
This is part of our snowmobile kit. 100’ of nylon strap; two stainless anchor shackles; 10’ section to use as a tree strap. This allows a lot of purchase with fairly low friction.

The pot has two insulated cups, waterproof matches in a case, and five “flaming balls of death” AKA vaseline impregnated cotton.

And USGI entrenching tool. On top is a pencil and some trail marking tape. Have some tear proof/waterproof paper.

Not shown is a folding saw. Need some sort of wind break/cover/shelter, not sure if those Mylar blankets are worthwhile.

Have a separate box for first aid.

This sled has a secure case so we’ll be able to carry more stuff.

Attachments

• EF9402CA-4D51-4D48-B797-A49C91A89800.jpeg
    EF9402CA-4D51-4D48-B797-A49C91A89800.jpeg
    667.2 KB · Views: 6
Resurrection this because there are knowledgeable folks here and I did not want to start a new thread just for my question, which was prompted by the mymedic.com sale link in "Deals and Steals" (still overpriced).

My question is do any of you guys pack a small FAK when going on a fly-away vacation? In particular one where you will be landing and then touring around by rental car.

I have not done so in the past but am considering it for this summer's trip.
I do travel armed so a TQ and pressure dressing at a minimum might be prudent.

Thanks!

🐯

Back
Top Bottom