• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

So what is the answer?

How can we stop rape, robbery and other crimes? Probably can't. The problem is that these school shootings have become such a hot topic. The villains get too much publicity. These shooters hate the world and they want to inflict mental anguish on as many people as possible. A school shooting does that in spades. On top of that the media makes the ar15 out to be some magic wand that anybody can use to wreak havoc. Hell, thanks to the media you can ask any non gun person what gun they would use and the answer will be the ar15. Read 'The Tipping Point' by Malcolm Gladwell.

Rare or not, the reality is that is the media are not going to let mass killings/school shooters drop from the headlines - it’s part of the gun, bibles, masks, abortion, immigration, gender identity, racism, climate change, etc. wedge they drive between Americans. Risk is severity of hazard x likelihood of occurrence, which is way at the bottom as drgrant notes, but ignoring them won’t make them (the killers, the media and the Leftists) go away. If there is an urge to "do something" more gun control is more people control, so better options need to be adopted, even if for an insignificant risk.

The solution below (media dialing back) ain’t never gonna happen. Next solution - shoot them sooner more often.

“We could meaningfully decrease gun violence if both sides were simply willing to give up their cheap rhetoric. How do I know this? Because according to the American Psychological Association, the individuals who become mass shooters are often directly seeking the media infamy we continue to grant them.

Western New Mexico University Psychologist Jennifer B. Johnston has found in her research that mass shooters tend to be in the midst of rampant depression, social isolation, and pathological narcissism; they are in part driven to such heinous crime by their desire for national attention.

And it is undeniable that the wall-to-wall coverage in the wake of these mass shootings—coverage that is amplified and jacked up by partisan political attacks that instrumentalize the shooters’ names and identities—makes the crime all the more tantalizing for these mass murderers.

“We find that a cross-cutting trait among many profiles of mass shooters is desire for fame in correspondence to the emergence of widespread 24-hour news coverage on cable news programs, and the rise of the internet,” Johnston has said. “If the mass media and social media enthusiasts make a pact to no longer share, reproduce or retweet the names, faces, detailed histories or long-winded statements of killers, we could see a dramatic reduction in mass shootings in one to two years.”
They all know this very well. Ever watch a sports game on TV and the camera suddenly cuts away from the field? That’s because there is a doosh who ran onto the field. They won’t show them or the sign they may or may not be carrying because it will encourage others to do it.

It doesn’t happen much anymore because people know that not even their face will get on TV, never mind their message.

Yea, but... man... language is hard. Being 100% precise all the time sometimes takes away from communication.

I'm pretty sure nobody was confused by my use of those words.

Actually... I take that back. I can totally imagine someone misreading that to mean something insane like, "black women are mentally unstable" or some bullshit. I'll be more careful in the future.

Good point. I was thinking of the kind of mass shootings that make white suburban people want to ban guns, not kind that happens to "other people". (people other than their tribe)

How over-represented are single-parent-household criminals? I honestly don't know the answer. I'm inclined to disregard that as a signifcant contributing factor simply because there's SO MANY single parent households in the US. Like saying "grey cars are overrepresented in collisions" is stupid because (it seems like) 90% of cars are some color that could be described as "grey" Even if EVERY SINGLE CRIMINAL came from a single parent household, the number of people from single parent households who are NOT criminals would make the metric basically meaningless. And we know for sure that there's a lot of shitbags whose parents stayed together.

And... just to extend that train of thought: How many people get stuck in abusive two-parent households because the non-abusive parent can't leave for financial reasons? e.g.: health care, rent, basic income, etc. One might argue (I would argue) that single payer healthcare would go a long way to breaking up f***ed up households, which would likely lead to healthier (less violent) children. A single parent healthy household is surely better than an abusive two parent one.

And furthermore, if two parent households are good idea, it's insane to force a woman who is not in a committed relationship to bear and raise a child by herself.

Exactly!
As to the single parent household, that describes like 80% of families today (statistic pulled from my anus) seems everyone is divorced these days so if I have my kids at my single parent house half the week (I do) and she has them at her single parent house the other half (she does) does that still make it a single parent upbringing by definition?

Nearly all of them are men, right? That's my point. picking on some feature that represents a much, much larger group is meaningless.
Percentage of male vs female mass shooters will skew towards men…as expected. And from a quick visual assessment, most appear to be under the age of 40. And with absolutely zero evidence or corroborating statistics, I would predict most to be members of a lower socioeconomic strata

But you cannot disregard common characteristics because they may be “problematic“ or “reinforce negative stereotypes“. That isnt meaningless…it is useful reminder that we should diagnose the common causes rather than search, at exorbitant length (and cost), for low probability causes.

”When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.”

I don't disagree, but in a "what can be done [by the government]????" discussion, things have to be quantifiable.
A good start would be to discourage not encourage single low income women to pop out kids like a puppy mill for a check .
I personally know a gal who was sitting there telling my brother "I gotta get knocked up by December before my checks drop "
Apparently after the kids turn five there is a reduction in the monthly check.
After, she would drop the crotch fruit who could have been fathered by half a dozen guys on family and split.

No one is "precriming" anyone. Restoring two parent families is a general net positive for society that would result in lower crime overall - I'm not calling anyone specific a criminal just because of their family situation.
I agree. But “restoring” the past? Not gonna happen…

Two-parent families where the wife stayed home, when there was no/minimal internet & no social media, when church and community were a greater part of our culture, when the failed war on drugs claimed 10-fold fewer lives annually, when the illegal immigrant population was lower and %white population was higher, etc. - the hands on the clock won’t turn back on so many changes in social structure.

We need solutions for our current social structure that respect our constitutional republican form of democracy, not solutions that require massive social engineering by whichever partisans are in power for only 2, 4, 8 years in a row.

Armed security in our schools. I've seen corporate and state offices that house hundreds of dickheads daily with real security. We send our most valuable assets to schools everyday with less security than the state offices in Albany or Boston. It's by design I am sure, you can't unarm a populace if there isn't sheeple outcry for it. The politicians don't send their kids to government schools so they dont care about the serf's babies getting murdered by the products they produce in these government schools.

As to the single parent household, that describes like 80% of families today (statistic pulled from my anus) seems everyone is divorced these days so if I have my kids at my single parent house half the week (I do) and she has them at her single parent house the other half (she does) does that still make it a single parent upbringing by definition?

That’s another great example of how useless it is to use “single parent household” as an indicator or predictor.

Percentage of male vs female mass shooters will skew towards men…as expected.

I hope you don’t think targeting all men as potential mass shooters is reasonable.

And from a quick visual assessment, most appear to be under the age of 40.

…or people under 40 s as a group.

And with absolutely zero evidence or corroborating statistics, I would predict most to be members of a lower socioeconomic strata

This is a great argument in favor of programs that bring families out of poverty.

But you cannot disregard common characteristics because they may be “problematic“ or “reinforce negative stereotypes“.

Right, but you can be super careful to not blame an entire large group based on a small number of incidents. e.g. It’d be stupid to target “men” as an at risk group simply because most mass shooters are men.

”When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.”

I don’t think that phrase works here. We don’t know that it could be one or the other.

A good start would be to discourage not encourage single low income women to pop out kids like a puppy mill for a check .

What ever happened to protecting children? How can that behavior be discouraged without harming the kids?

The assumption here is that all these women pumping out babies are doing it on purpose. Have you ever looked at the numbers? Nobody is getting rich by getting pregnant. It’s another reason abortion and other family planning should be legal and easy and safe.

I personally know a gal who was sitting there telling my brother "I gotta get knocked up by December before my checks drop "
After, she would drop the crotch fruit who could have been fathered by half a dozen guys on family and split.

Everything I’ve read says that is not the norm. And it sounds like she would have been a huge drain on society no matter what, I’m guessing “personal responsibility” wasn’t her strong suit.

They all know this very well. Ever watch a sports game on TV and the camera suddenly cuts away from the field? That’s because there is a doosh who ran onto the field. They won’t show them or the sign they may or may not be carrying because it will encourage others to do it.

It doesn’t happen much anymore because people know that not even their face will get on TV, never mind their message.
Same for those disrespectful, country hating arseholes, that don't stand for the National Anthem! They're no longer shown in the media until they end up having their mugshot taken for beating the women in their lives, getting busted for dope, or DUI!

That’s another great example of how useless it is to use “single parent household” as an indicator or predictor.

I hope you don’t think targeting all men as potential mass shooters is reasonable.

…or people under 40 s as a group.

This is a great argument in favor of programs that bring families out of poverty.

Right, but you can be super careful to not blame an entire large group based on a small number of incidents. e.g. It’d be stupid to target “men” as an at risk group simply because most mass shooters are men.

I don’t think that phrase works here. We don’t know that it could be one or the other.

What ever happened to protecting children? How can that behavior be discouraged without harming the kids?

The assumption here is that all these women pumping out babies are doing it on purpose. Have you ever looked at the numbers? Nobody is getting rich by getting pregnant. It’s another reason abortion and other family planning should be legal and easy and safe.

Everything I’ve read says that is not the norm. And it sounds like she would have been a huge drain on society no matter what, I’m guessing “personal responsibility” wasn’t her strong suit.
I have a friend that worked for the welfare department for many years .
Believe me , what you read is wrong.

It's not about getting rich , it's about never having to get off your ass and work a day in your life.
I've spent more hours in hundreds and hundreds of low income housing units than I ever care to count.
More people are perfectly content to live in their own filth and squalor with zero ambition to make a better life what so ever than you would ever think.
Not having to lift a finger is their victory.

I have a friend that worked for the welfare department for many years .
Believe me , what you read is wrong.

It's not about getting rich , it's about never having to get off your ass and work a day in your life.
I've spent more hours in hundreds and hundreds of low income housing units than I ever care to count.
More people are perfectly content to live in their own filth and squalor with zero ambition to make a better life what so ever than you would ever think.
Not having to lift a finger is their victory.
This is 100% true, and again this is from generational failure of our system that rewards shitty behavior.

That’s another great example of how useless it is to use “single parent household” as an indicator or predictor
I hope you don’t think targeting all men as potential mass shooters is reasonable.…or people under 40 s as a group.

This is a great argument in favor of programs that bring families out of poverty. Right, but you can be super careful to not blame an entire large group based on a small number of incidents. e.g. It’d be stupid to target “men” as an at risk group simply because most mass shooters are men.

The analogy works perfectly and the govt of El Salvador dropped the country’s murder rate by over 50% by doing exactly what common sense dictates

And as soon as the logical fallacies are being trotted out (“all” and “every” being the tell) the argument has been lost

The programs to lift people out of poverty have failed (mostly by design and look up LBJ’s comment…he knew) and you cannot lift people out of poverty by murdering babies (it w/h happened by now after 73 million abortions)

The underclass culture is real and it is normalized. Generational dependency on govt programs that penalize people for working or being married has taught the folks the rules - single parents get the money and those that work/marry don’t

Agreed.
It should not be ignored that the .gov has made it financially beneficial for women to remain unmarried and have multiple children. Single parent household are a contributing factor to multiple societal woes.

I also think the best way to deter people from from committing school shootings is to assure that shooters will be met with brutal, immediate, deadly force.
They should start encouraging the private sector to begin R&D on deterrent systems. I'm thinking electrified door knobs and push bars that can be remotely activated.
Remote controlled flame throwers...pressurized acid wash...collapsing floor over a pool filled with crocodiles or sharks. Sharks with fricken lasers.

WSJ on 2023 Graduates: "Mental-health support: An interesting distinction from former graduates is this class’s prioritization of mental health and well-being. They ranked benefits as the No. 2 priority when evaluating a company, and when asked what benefits they’re seeking, the top response was coverage for therapy. These young adults want to work for companies that will help them achieve career growth, and simultaneously give priority to their mental health."

The good news is that Gen Z knows they need mental health therapy. The bad news is that they need mental health therapy.

I was talking with a Zen center senior teacher a while back and he said that the younger folks they wouldn’t accept or would send packing 20 years ago are much of today’s young adult population. People who need psychotherapy, he said, not a weekend Zen retreat. An anecdotal story, but perhaps a Litmus test of current affairs.

I don't disagree, but in a "what can be done [by the government]????" discussion, things have to be quantifiable.
Get rid of alimony no fault divorces and women primary custody in family court and maybe you'll see a difference. But as it stands now it's all over
They're vermin. Exterminate them.
A final solution if u will?

Back
Top Bottom