So, what's next...

Hooper

NES Member
I have the CCW gun thing pretty much covered. In fact, like my wife's collection of little black dresses, I pretty much have a EDC gun for every occasion. So… What's next?

What I realize now is that's all I have. No longer guns at all. I want to get into target shooting. Probably not competition but just having fun at the range. Thinking S&W 686 SSR or maybe venturing into the 1911 arena. Would like to stay with the calibers I already have (9mm, 357, .38). Had a 617 and sold it [banghead]

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Best,

Hoop

I would go direct to long guns...

10/22 get you started, easy to practice practice practice
then a .223 AR
then something larger once your skills are up for it … .30-06 or 308 - The Ruger American Rifle, Remington 700, Savage, etc.

I would go direct to long guns...

10/22 get you started, easy to practice practice practice
then a .223 AR
then something larger once your skills are up for it … .30-06 or 308 - The Ruger American Rifle, Remington 700, Savage, etc.
Speaking of which, is it true the recently made Remington 700 are garbage? I keep seeing people saying to aim for an older Remington 700 or go with a Savage that the new Remington 700s are garbage.

Speaking of which, is it true the recently made Remington 700 are garbage? I keep seeing people saying to aim for an older Remington 700 or go with a Savage that the new Remington 700s are garbage.

Well I cannot comment directly on the 700 as I had wanted one for sometime, but then opted for the Ruger American Rifle due to cost factor and positive reviews. I am very happy with my decision, but would suggest the buyer due their own research on current quality of said rifles.

The new ones are not even in the same zip code as the older ones. Savage has always been more accurate out of the box, ever since they came out with the current design of their barrel nut. Aftermarket support for the savage is more complicated, due to different design changes, like action screw spacing and the most recent move of the Bolt release from the side to the front of the trigger guard. This one makes finding a stock quite a chore.

Looking to buy first long gun. Do I go with a 10/22 or make the jump to an AR like a M&P Sport?

Really would like someone to sell me on why I should get a 10/22 (takedown?).
10/22s are as reliable a .22 semi as you'll find. They're pretty cheap, and there are all kinds of parts and stocks and everything around.

and when the zombies come you'll be ready to harvest squirrel and zombie alike. Good luck finding ammo though.

Looking to buy first long gun. Do I go with a 10/22 or make the jump to an AR like a M&P Sport?

Really would like someone to sell me on why I should get a 10/22 (takedown?).

Stick with the AR. At least you can find ammo to shoot:/ Only half kidding.

A .22 rimfire is a great rifle to start with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a firm believer in a purpose driven collection. Everyone should have/need:

Full size service auto - Sig 226/220- Baretta 92-Glock 17 etc etc

Nice revolver - 686, 66, 629 etc etc

22 cal rifle - Ruger 10/22, M&P 15-22, Rem 597 etc etc

12 ga shotgun - Rem 870, Mossberg 500, Bennelli M2/M4 etc etc

Semi auto rifle capable of accepting a 30 rnd magazine. AR- AK, Sig 556 etc etc.

Scoped Bolt action rifle - Rem 700, Savage 110, etc etc

Pic your favorites, lather, rinse and repeat until you have a couple/few of each, and then start buying stuff for fun like lever actions rifles, 1911's, S&W 500's, optics, crossbows, safes etc etc

Mine is just fine, but it's not direct from the factory. The only thing I hate about it is the action.

If I could do it all over again, I probably would have started with a Ruger 10/22 and then work my way up.

These little black dresses you speak of.......

Oh yeah, rifles. Build an AR-15. Then an AR-10.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Training classes

This. Take some classes. GOAL has a great introduction to AR class. Sig has everything you could possibly imagine. They both let you borrow guns for free. See what you like and don't like, and get some great training along the way. Then go buy what you want.

ETA: Bleah. I must spread some reputation around before giving it to boilermaker again. Dammit.

I am a firm believer in a purpose driven collection. Everyone should have/need:

Full size service auto - Sig 226/220- Baretta 92-Glock 17 etc etc

Nice revolver - 686, 66, 629 etc etc

22 cal rifle - Ruger 10/22, M&P 15-22, Rem 597 etc etc

12 ga shotgun - Rem 870, Mossberg 500, Bennelli M2/M4 etc etc

Semi auto rifle capable of accepting a 30 rnd magazine. AR- AK, Sig 556 etc etc.

Scoped Bolt action rifle - Rem 700, Savage 110, etc etc

Pic your favorites, lather, rinse and repeat until you have a couple/few of each, and then start buying stuff for fun like lever actions rifles, 1911's, S&W 500's, optics, crossbows, safes etc etc

This is great advice. This, and training classes.

Have done many training classes. Advanced defensive handgun coming up this spring. Was fondling some Ruger Single Sixes today. Very tempted. Thoughts?

I can't coment on the Ruger Single Six, but I do have a similar type Heritage Arms I think. It's fun to shot but a pain to empty. I prefer my S&W 18-3, it is much easier to unload plus it's SA/DA.

I'd second the purpose driven collection. If I was in your spot I would be looking at the following:

12g pump
10/22
AR

The first 2 guns have their games as well as get you into the hunting world. The shotgun can also be used for HD. I would hold off on a .30 rifle until after the AR.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom