So What's Wrong with Glocks?

MaverickNH

NES Member
I'll admit I've had a few SIGs, and still have two (P220 & P239). A Kahr P45 and Kel-Tec P3AT. Shed a few SIGs, Kel-Tecs, Republic Arms and some I don't recall (no doubt all "crime guns" in 10yr).

But I've always pondered a Glock. Only shot one once (literally, one round) at a Randy Cain class in Lakeland FL, where everyone set down their gun and did musical chairs - all the 1911 and Glock people had no idea how to shoot a SIG. Good education...

What are the Pro's and Con's? Suarez seems to love them...

Pros-
-They work most of the time.
-They last forever.
-No really, they usually last forever.
-Tenifer treatment is durable. A Glock generally will not rust.
-Guns take abusive treatment very well.
-Guns have a low parts count/complexity compared to others.
-Factory service is fast in the rare event you actually need it.
-Mags are cheap and work most of the time if you keep good springs in them.
-Relatively high magazine capacity for their size
-Many models are thin (hard to find a gun thinner than a G19 with the
same capacity, for example )
-Low Bore Axis- only thing lower is a 1911 and maybe a few others; this means less muzzle flip.
-Customizable. (Triggers, basepads, mag releases, sights, all that crap)
-Cost (even in MA the guns are relatively cheap)
-One manual of arms (one trigger to learn)

Cons:
-Some hate the grip angle (doesn't point right for some)
-Some hate the trigger. (It's "different" from a lot of other guns. )
-Some hate the looks (Although they're not as ugly as a ruger P series)
-Some whine/hate that you have to pull the trigger to strip it.
-Some hate the mag release
-Some whine because of the plastic frame. (I call the whaambulance on this one)
-Some whine because the trigger is not as good as a 1911. Well, no shit, it's
not a 1911! [grin]

-Some hate glocks because everyone else has them. (I know a few people who refuse to buy them simply because of this... lol... )

-Some hate the Polygonal Barrel with poorly supported chamber (if you're a reloader, this damages the brass... most who reload for glocks end up getting an aftermarket barrel to fix any issues. )

-Easier to blow it up than other guns, especially with the stock barrel and brass which has already been weakened by said barrel. Not so much a problem in 9mm and .357 Sig
but can be an issue ih .40s and .45 ACP.

-Factory/Glock corporate frequently denies engineering defects, fails to issue real proiduct recalls, etc. Not usually an issue though.

IMO this topic has been [horse]'d quite a bit just about everywhere. I tell people, shoot one of the things, see if you like it or not, you'll either love or loathe the things, generally speaking. It literally is that simple. I have zero right now, but I'll probably end up with a 3rd gen G19 and G20 by this time next year. (I recently discovered that the 3rd gens fit my hands way better, so I dumped all my 2nd gen guns... )

-Mike

Last edited:
Pros-
-They last forever.
-Low Bore Axis- only thing lower is a 1911 and maybe a few others; this means less muzzle flip.

Cons:
not a 1911! [grin]

-Some hate glocks because everyone else has them. (I know a few people who refuse to buy them simply because of this... lol... )

-Some hate the Polygonal Barrel with poorly supported chamber (if you're a reloader, this damages the brass... most who reload for glocks end up getting an aftermarket barrel to fix any issues. )

-Easier to blow it up than other guns, especially with the stock barrel and brass which has already been weakened by said barrel. Not so much a problem in 9mm and .357 Sig

-Factory/Glock corporate frequently denies engineering defects, fails to issue real proiduct recalls, etc. Not usually an issue though.

IMO this topic has been [horse]'d quite a bit just about everywhere. I tell people, shoot one of the things, see if you like it or not, you'll either love or loathe the things, generally speaking. It literally is that simple. I have zero right now, but I'll probably end up with a 3rd gen G19 and G20 by this time next year. (I recently discovered that the 3rd gens fit my hands way better, so I dumped all my 2nd gen guns... )

-Mike

Super Double +1
Well said sir.

It's the trigger for me. I just can't get "surgical" with that trigger. (for as "surgical" as I can get)[smile] With my 1911 I can put two into a golf ball quick, at ten yards. With Gastons trigger, two in a soup bowl is as good as I can do.

go to Manchester firing line and rent one to see for yourself.

Some people love them. Personally I can't stand them - grip angle, looks, feel. The first time I picked one up I developed a bias against them. Just didn't work for me.

Liking a particular gun is highly personal IMO. You won't know unless you go shoot one.

Don't worry, we won't think less of you if you buy one (unless of course you trade a Sig for it, in which case you're a heretic).

I've had 4 - a G22 (second gen), a G36, and currently a G22 and a G27. I have never had a problem with any of them. I've also owned S&W wheelies and assorted other pistols. I find them to fit my hand perfectly and have no problem at all with any of the "cons" brought up in drgrant's post. If you'd like we can meet up sometime and you can shoot my two. Whatever you do MAKE YOUR OWN CONCLUSION and don't listen to what others say, including myself(unabashed Glock man).

Pros-
-They last forever.

Cons:
not a 1911! [grin]

-Mike

but it's sooooooo much fun. [laugh2]

same here - thanks to a trade, got a 3rd Gen G23... nice gun, looking forward to messing with it. i might sell off my ruger to fund the project (speaking of ugly Rugers). LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pro Glock, my 19 gen2 points perfect for me, goes bang when I pull the trigger, and I hit what I aim at.
It is ugly as sin, and installing the extended mag release was a good upgrade for 7 bucks.
Carries well, is light and easy to conceal.
The "bullseye" accuracy is nowhere near that of my Berretta 92F or Officers ACP, but I also really don't care if it gets tossed around or beaten on either. A good "tool" for the job.
Same offer, if you have never fired a Glock, feel free to contact me in CT and join me at the range.

I am much much more accurate with my glock than with my 1911's though I like 1911's better.

I carry a glock because they are indestructible. I don't care about any sort of wear and tear (if any). They are lighter than metal pistols.

I like the trigger. I like the triggers on 1911's. I can't stand SIG triggers but I also don't own one and haven't had too much time on one.

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

been a while since i used this. [smile]

After thirty years of carrying and shooting double action wheel guns, I simply can't abide any gun that requires me to remember to flick a manual safety off or on. I also can't abide any gun that, on it's own, decides to switch trigger pulls between double action and single action.

So now, I - who once swore that if you ever saw me with a plastic gun, you'd know Hell had frozen over - am carrying a Glock 35.

There is a documented case of a Glock that was recovered after 9 months on the ocean floor that had not a trace of rust on it. they rinsed it out with fresh water, dried and oiled it, and it STILL functioned perfectly. No steel gun can do that.

Chuck Taylor tried keeping count of how many rounds he could put through a Glock before it malfunctioned. At 219,000 rounds, he gave up keeping count, and it STILL hasn't malfunctioned.

Glock likes to brag that their guns are carried by about two thirds of the police forces in this country, and that the remaining third are split between 5 or 6 other brands. That should tell you something.

I also love the fact that they are both absurdly simple and absurdly inexpensive to work on or customize.

Regards
John

I own 3 Glocks. 2 G19's, one 2nd one 3rd gen, and a 3rd gen 23. I like them a lot but my only complaint is that it needs more of a beavertail for me. I have been working on trucks and heavy equipment since I was a kid and I have beefy hands but short fingers. To shoot it well my hand is near the bore and I get "Glock bite". I may buy one of the stick on beavertails that Dillon sells, we'll see. My 2 cents.

Yeah, got bit twice..doing a strong hand to weak hand drill.. Blood baptized the Glock..Looks peeerty, but packs a wallop!!

sicily_jump.jpg

im very happy with my g23. its my daily carry and its very comfortable in a unclemikes iwb.

[smile] perfect holster because they fit the M&P Compacts as well vice versa.

I'm a Don Hume guy for IWB, but my Uncle Mike shoulder rig fits all my guns except my SW 1911. it gets snagged on the front site.

the Don Hume holsters that fit Glock will fit a similar sized M&P [smile] - perfect reason to shop both if you buy a holster for ALL your guns like I do.

I'm a Don Hume guy for IWB, but my Uncle Mike shoulder rig fits all my guns except my SW 1911. it gets snagged on the front site.

the Don Hume holsters that fit Glock will fit a similar sized M&P [smile] - perfect reason to shop both if you buy a holster for ALL your guns like I do.

my p11 also fits in the holster. my mac-11 , well .............does not fit so well.[rofl]

I love 'em but used to hate them. Read my range report (scroll to the bottom). I have 5 of them now.

My carry gun is a G29 - which is a sub-compact 10mm that is a pussycat with the big round's recoil.

My tackle box/camping gun is an old Gen 1 bone stock G17. You can shoot it sometime if you want. I've shot more rounds through this gun than any other I own. I bought it used when it was already well worn. I've never had a FTF/FTE/FTF with it even once, and I'm not a fanatic about cleaning it. As ugly and worn as it is, it's one of the few guns I will never sell.

ETA: I shoot lots of hot reloads out of my G29, G20, and G30. I've equipped each of these guns with a KKM Precision barrel. These barrels are the best in the world. No worries about a kB here. The G17 still has the original Glock barrel because 9mm Glocks don't kB.

Derek will be along shortly with a nuclear bomb picture.

I'll never own a .40 S&W Glock because that caliber sucks.

Last edited:

I love my Don Hume IWB holsters for my GLocks. Great great great holsters. Highly recommended (oh, glocks are highly recommended, too!)

I love my Don Hume IWB holsters for my GLocks. Great great great holsters. Highly recommended (oh, glocks are highly recommended, too!)

I LOVE my Don Hume holsters!

SW1911 - PCCH

I can NOT believe I can hide this beast IWB!!!! But I can, with this holster only. I also have a tuckable holster that does NOT do to the job, due to where it riding a little too low for tucking.

Ruger 345 - IWB Clip on H715-WC

OUTFREAKING STANDING!

M&P9c - IWB Clip on H715-WC; same model no., but different holster that also fits the G23

OUTFREAKING STANDING!

**best thing is that they are actually molded to each gun for a nice snug fit**

the clip-on holsters even work with my thin riggers belt.... even though the model number is the same, they are actually molded to each gun. i found this out by accident when I orderd mine on gunners alley.

Last edited by a moderator:
So What's Wrong with Glocks?---
For me it’s a just a personal preference thing. I don’t like the sights, the trigger, the weight and I find them ugly with a “cheap” feel. I couldn’t find a single redeeming quality in the G-17 I had.

Others really like them, but a Glock is the only semi-auto that I’ve sold, I took a little bath to get rid of it and was happy to free up safe space.

I don’t hate them, I just don’t like them.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I carried a G-23 as a duty gun for years, and came to look at it as a great tool. Not a work of art, but a tool with few equals. AND it's in .40 S&W. Again, my choice, when the department was going to 9mm. Now that's a round I can't stand. It's all personal choice. Get what you like. It's hard to find a modern pistol that won't get the job done if you do your part.

Last edited:
Extreme reliability, simple to operate, very light weight.

1911s are nice too, as are sig......lots of quality pistols out there. Most of the "I hate this or that" is just internet BS.

Back
Top Bottom