• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

So, you want to shoot 3 gun?

Yeah, I'm definitely planning on that one if I can make the date. I had a conflict this year, or I would've been there. Topton is only an hour from my parents house, so I could get double use out of the trip.
Jeff,
I've said it before, many times, and will in the future too. The biggest difficulty with a team match, Topton, Sportsman's Team Challenge, etc, isn't the shooting, that's easy. It's getting a team together that will stay together. People get all excited and tell you "Yes, I'm In!" then back out.
Then, there's the drive to Topton. Yes, I've done it a bunch of times, starting back in the 80's, so I'm used to it. It's 5 hours for me, to some folks, it may as well be on the moon. Heck, the Friday commute home from Boston can be 2 hours and that's only 35 freakin' miles!
Anyway, if you can put together a team that will not bail, and shoot reasonbly well, you'll have a great time, a bunch of laughs and add to your 3 gun experience.

The 930 is heavy and feel like a piece of cheaply made crap to me. I'm currently looking at the Xtrema2 - seems that some people have had good success with them and Briley offers extension tubes and other work on them. It's pretty much either that or an M2 - I can't see paying $1000+ for a Winchester or Remington, no matter how good the reviews are.

The 930 is pretty heavy, but its built like a tank. Plus they just run, which means more than weight or price

Yup, I bought one, slapped some nordic stuff on it and it's 100% over 250 rounds so far. It'll probably get another 200 this weekend.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

The 930 is heavy and feel like a peice (-1 Spelling) of cheaply made crap to me.

That's the great thing about our country, freedom of choice.

I shot my $600.00 piece of crap at the OCT 16 match and did OK. I have only had the 930 (piece of crap) for about a year and shot maybe 800-1000 rounds through it, still waiting for my first failure.

Hope to see you and your Xtrema2 (extremely too) high priced shotgun at a match in the future.

David E.

The 930 is pretty heavy, but its built like a tank. Plus they just run, which means more than weight or price

True. I didn't like the report I saw somewhere that it started rusting pretty quick, but no one has said anything bad about the function.

That's the great thing about our country, freedom of choice.

I shot my $600.00 piece of crap at the OCT 16 match and did OK. I have only had the 930 (piece of crap) for about a year and shot maybe 800-1000 rounds through it, still waiting for my first failure.

Hope to see you and your Xtrema2 (extremely too) high priced shotgun at a match in the future.

David E.

I trust Berettas, I've had my 391 for about 12 years now with thousands upon thousands of rounds down the pipe without a single failure. I think I've cleaned it twice in that time. As for the Xtrema2, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the Beretta I bought earlier this summer.

That said, I'm holding off for now both because of a sudden lack of funds (thanks to an evil entity called DFAS) as well as wanting to see what Benelli puts out in their new 3-gun optimized M2.

That said, I'm holding off for now, wanting to see what Benelli puts out in their new 3-gun optimized M2.
From Benelli's team shooters, they are being built by Salient, a Briley employee claims they are being built there. Get an M2 Field and have the work done. It will be cheaper.

A couple friends of mine, that shoot a lot of 3 gun use them with good reliability. It's nothing more than a Winchester Super X 2.

A couple friends of mine, that shoot a lot of 3 gun use them with good reliability. It's nothing more than a Winchester Super X 2.

Seems like a nice gun and a local shop has them on sale for $800 for the basic field model. That said, I've always been of the mind that if I'm going to spend that much on a semi, it's going to be Italian (again).

Seems like a nice gun and a local shop has them on sale for $800 for the basic field model. That said, I've always been of the mind that if I'm going to spend that much on a semi, it's going to be Italian (again).
If you like Berrettas buy one.
Knuckle Dragger was inquiring about the FNH SLP Mk1. That gun is the same as the older Super X2 Mark 1 or 2.

If you like Berrettas buy one.
Knuckle Dragger was inquiring about the FNH SLP Mk1. That gun is the same as the older Super X2 Mark 1 or 2.

I know. I was looking really hard at it but I think I want a gun with a vent rib, not the cantilever mount that the SLP has. Does anyone use the actual Super X2 in 3 gun?

Field model? I've not seen one in the matches I've shot. I have seen a Super X3 field model at Topton.

Thanks. Just curious since $799 for one of those really isn't a horrible price, and Briley makes extension tubes and does custom work on them.

From Benelli's team shooters, they are being built by Salient, a Briley employee claims they are being built there. Get an M2 Field and have the work done. It will be cheaper.

I just picked up an M2 last week and have put ~400 rounds through it, its going out to Jeff at C-Rums for some work next week...for less than $400 dollars it should be very very similar to the Salient M2's at roughly ~$1000 less.

I just picked up an M2 last week and have put ~400 rounds through it, its going out to Jeff at C-Rums for some work next week...for less than $400 dollars it should be very very similar to the Salient M2's at roughly ~$1000 less.
You can get the lifter from Jeff, put on a Nordic extension and be even farther ahead.

Yep, the Nordic tube is on it already and Jeff is going to put the lifter on while he's got it. My ONLY complaint about the gun was that lifter, but I figured if I was going to have that welded up anyway, I may as well get the works! I leave for a month of business next week so I figured it was an ideal time to send it his way!

So, you want to shoot three gun. Would you be willing to work the match as a RO/SO and shoot also? Are you willing to run a timer? Score? help set up, help tear down? and all the other necessary activities a match needs to run?

This question would be for experienced ROs/SOs that know what is needed to run a match.

So, you want to shoot three gun. Would you be willing to work the match as a RO/SO and shoot also? Are you willing to run a timer? Score? help set up, help tear down? and all the other necessary activities a match needs to run?

This question would be for experienced ROs/SOs that know what is needed to run a match.

I'm willing to do everything needed to have a match other than step up and be the MD who makes it happen. I think there are plenty of others similarly situated. If someone posted tomorrow "I help run pistol matches at X club, I've decided to put on a multigun match, the BoD is on board, but I need staff", they'd get an outpouring of offers, mine included. So far, nobody has.

Sure

You know that I will.

That about says it all. Getting shooters to a match is not the problem. Having enough people to run a match is the on-going challenge.

New Bedford is running an RO course this spring. Anyone that plans to shoot USPSA regularly should take this class. Even if you don't plan or want to be serious about officiating at matches, the knowledge you'll get in the course will help you understand the game better and make you a better and safer competitor.

That about says it all. Getting shooters to a match is not the problem. Having enough people to run a match is the on-going challenge.

The last 3gun match I went to, they did not have ROs, or timers. On the first stage we were all standing around, waiting for the ROs to show up. Never happened, My team mate grabbed his timer out of the bag, I grabbed the clip board and got the squad moving. At the end of the match, after ROing the last team with a flashlight, we got yelled at for being on the range after dark.

The last 3gun match I went to, they did not have ROs, or timers. On the first stage we were all standing around, waiting for the ROs to show up. Never happened, My team mate grabbed his timer out of the bag, I grabbed the clip board and got the squad moving. At the end of the match, after ROing the last team with a flashlight, we got yelled at for being on the range after dark.

Was this in the state you now reside in?

I had a similar experience in a state west of RI where the RO was mostly a no-show (he started with us but disappeared early and for for most of the rest of the match), me an another squad-mate made it happen for our squad. Not what I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, I'm more than willing to help out and do my part as a shooter, but was not expecting to be the main RO for the entire match, not after paying a pretty good match fee to start with.

It all comes down to help. There are several clubs around that have the facilities (ranges, props, targets, etc), just not enough people. My experience with people 'showing up on match day to help' has been less then stellar. You need a solid list of confirmed people you can count on, who know what they are doing. You can't plan a 3 gun match with anything less (not if you want it to be a good experience for everyone).

I shot a match in Ma where the club member/RO DQ'd and went home leaving the squad on our own. It can happen anywhere I guess.

It all comes down to help. There are several clubs around that have the facilities (ranges, props, targets, etc), just not enough people. My experience with people 'showing up on match day to help' has been less then stellar. You need a solid list of confirmed people you can count on, who know what they are doing. You can't plan a 3 gun match with anything less (not if you want it to be a good experience for everyone).

For an active club, it is more difficult since staff is already very busy. You need that home club staff but you also need a committed travelling staff willing to show up and help.

I see a core group of probably 5 people that would be willing to do this. Unfortunately, that is not enough.

I plan to try and find such a group over the next year and see what happens. No sense in looking for a location or dates until a crew is in place.

I think the interest to shoot a match is there but the commitment to helping by a large enough group is really not. Most that work matches are already too busy. Hopefully a newer club will pop up for this type of event.

We're planning to run a 3-Gun match at Harvard next season. The crew wants to shoot one (or mainly, Al wants to shoot one) so we're going to run one.

As I mentioned in another thread, we love shooting 3-Gun, and we don't mind setting them up, but the shooters are generally not that interested. If we get 30 shooters at a 3-Gun, as compared to 80-100 at a typical pistol match, or 60 at a rifle match, or 50 at a shotgun match, it makes us think that most folks would rather have a 1-Gun match. A few years back we got really hooked on 3-Gun and ran three matches in one season. The first match had decent attendance; the second was kinda small; and the third was a nice little match that seemed like it must have been "invitation only." We kinda go with whatever makes people happy.

Back
Top Bottom