• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

softest shooting full size 9mm

Either a 226 or a 9mm 1911 for production handguns.

The softest shooting 9mm is a race gun but I'm assuming that isn't what you want to hear. If you want a soft shooting production gun buy a threaded barrel and put a comp on it. 226 or 1911 would be good for that and each has their advantages.

What is the purpose of the firearm and why do you want a "soft shooter"?

The softest shooting 9mm is a race gun but I'm assuming that isn't what you want to hear. If you want a soft shooting production gun buy a threaded barrel and put a comp on it. 226 or 1911 would be good for that and each has their advantages.

just a range gun for a new shooter who is petite with smallish hands

yes...she has done well with a SR22..now wants to move up to 9mm

Cool. I'm not a big ruger fan, but the SR22 is a great way to start.

9mm is pretty soft overall ( sorry, state the obvious I know) so, like I said, I would focus on grip size and comfort for the person. M&Ps are pretty well suited to a good number of hand sizes. The SR9 and SR9 already have slim grips, but are not a modular. The VP9 might be worth considering....

perception of recoil and muzzle flip is based on a lot of things. One of the biggest that's over looked is the gripping of the gun to mitigate the movement caused by recoil

Proper grip fit / comfort will probably be more important that "softest shooting" a 226 or a 92fs are huge in small hands

This. Doesn't really matter how "soft" it shoots if she can't hold onto it properly. As much as I like my Sigs they are bricks, though the E2 grips are helpful for the small handed types.

I'd think a single stack full sized pistol in 9mm would be what she wants. Like a Star Super Model B in 9mm (a 1911-style pistol chambered in 9mm, single stack 8rd mag)

What "race gun 9mm" is soft shooting?

9mm 1911s are pretty soft shooting, IMHO. Low bore axis, comfortable grip, etc. STI spartan 9mm and kin.... CZ 75/SP01 is a close second...

-Mike

M&P 9, HK P30L, Sig P320, Ruger SR9, CZ 75 - IMO probably the softest shooting 9mm's out there.

everytime i shoot the M&P 9 I am reminded how soft that gun shoots - impressive.

im gonna throw in the 1911 9mm as well. single stack will work better with the smaller grip. the model b recommended is a great option as its very affordable

Something like this:View attachment 134835

But that suggestion was before the op qualified the request.

Based on the info, the 9mm 1911 that is suggested before in a single stack design for a smaller grip would be ideal though not cheap.

I think you confusing "soft" and "flat"

Major PF is Major PF.... the gun may stay flat, but the comp needs lots of gas to do so and make PF

Last edited:

Based on the info, the 9mm 1911 that is suggested before in a single stack design for a smaller grip would be ideal though not cheap.

Something like that probably wants major PF to cycle and while it may shoot flat I wouldn't call it soft.

I'd agree that a steel 9mm 1911 is the way to go.

Open guns like the limcat in the picture are 9 major or 38 super, 9mm major are not soft, they are harsh to down right violent if they are a shorty. They shoot flat, but they slap your hand pretty good. they usually don't run well on 9mm minor unless they are made for steel

SIG sp 2022. The quality of a SIG, but comes with interchangeable backstraps, and won't break the bank. Very similar in size to a P229.

I realize the pic I chose is 9 major but they can be built for 9minor as well, just with fewer holes in the comp. Shooting factory 9 out of a steel framed pistol with a comp will produce the least felt recoil. The 1911/2011 frame design allows you to set this up fairly easily.

Back
Top Bottom