softest shooting full size 9mm

I'm a huge fan of the Sig P226.....soft, smooth, and easy to shoot.

Tried out my Walther PPQ .22 today - couldn't hit squat with it, so I pulled out the P226 to make sure I didn't have wall-eye vision - nope, no troubles with the Sig.

I think it's the sights on the Walther, and maybe cause it's so light, I'm way more accurate with the Sig.

Yah, I have a m&p 9 and the thing is super soft. I believe it's because of the weight of the slide. Curious what the slide weight of similar gun such as glock,ruger, 92fs, etc..

The CZ Shadow is nice.."softest shooting" goes to the Sig P226 X5 IMHO- a real tack driver to boot!

I own a SIG P 226 all stainless and a P 226 X5. Neither shoot as well as the CZ Shadow. The SIG X5 has the weight (several oz more than the CZ Shadow) but lacks its ergonomics. The P 226 is an old design that needs to be updated or replaced.

close to 2 months now, decided on a gun yet? my 2 cents, should be fairly heavy so all steel, 1911 style or beretta 92. i find most polymer guns in 9 have a bit of muzzle whip which to a novice woman shooter could be uncomfortable. but only the shooter can determine what is agreeable to them.

I found that an S&W 915 is relatively comfortable, maybe because of the grip shape and material. Just being a heavy gun does not necessarily help, as we have a Browning BDM pistol which is all metal but really has a sting when shooting, not sure why.
The 92FS was not bad but it's kind of light and the chunky handgrip is not really good for small hands.

P226 is a good choice, as as M&P 9 I think.

I found that an S&W 915 is relatively comfortable, maybe because of the grip shape and material. Just being a heavy gun does not necessarily help, as we have a Browning BDM pistol which is all metal but really has a sting when shooting, not sure why.
The 92FS was not bad but it's kind of light and the chunky handgrip is not really good for small hands.

P226 is a good choice, as as M&P 9 I think.

I would agree that being heavy doesn't make a soft shooter but I definately think it plays a big part in recoil felt coupled with a high bore axis. I've also seen shooters add a flashlight under the barrel and they swear it helps with muzzle flip. Not having a flashlight I can't verify that. Some guns just feel so right when you pick them up though too. I would take what you have learned from posts here and go hold all the guns your thinking about getting. Better yet go to the range and ask to shoot one of the members pistols. Most people are willing to help. I love people shooting my pistol just so they can check out the sweet trigger job. I find it especially enjoyable when my buddy shoots my m&p 9c and shoots it better than his own SR9 full size.

Last edited:
Another vote for Star Model B - if you happen to have a C&R license, you can pick one up shipped right to your door for under $300.

Good only because it's single stack, all metal and should be easy recoil. Other than that, I don't know why anyone would want one of these paper weights - 1911s are silly enough as a .45 in the year 2015. Having one in 9mm is even more useless.

Every once in a while it's good to poke the 1911 guys.

Back
Top Bottom