*Solved*THANK YOU NES- removing a trigger lock without key suggestions

Middle earth and there's a battle brewing
~Thank you NES reps passed out..~

I ended up bashing a few times with a flat head and hammer to chip up the lock so the bit would grab. Plug in drill (after realizing the cordless didnt have the RPMs) and big bit. Drilled for a while then went back to hammer and screwdriver. Then the drill again. Second time with hammer and screwdriver got it in there good and rotated and it came off. THANK YOU ALL for empowering me to go at it with reckless abandon...

ITS FREE
View attachment 50148

(i havent shot it in a month because of this and i got some new toys for it for christmas that i havent been able to install)
Only jacked my hand once with the hammer and now my left hand feels a little dead inside LOL but it didnt cost me anything but some discomfort and small hole in my living room table prior to going down to the work bench.. I'm still a dumbass.

First i want to admit im a dumbass. I have a 10/22 that a few weeks ago i misplaced the key, i think i dropped it in the woods returning from a shooting trip and have not been able to find it. When i realized the key was misplaced, i locked it in another case to make sure that if the key was found in the house that my 14 year old or anyone else for that matter, would not be able to gain access to it. Not that he would he is very responsible and has taken the gun safety class and knows better (imagine that good parenting creates good kids!).

I am wondering what the best course of action is to get this lock off and get a new lock installed. I have thought about drilling it out but it looks like its going to be a major PITA. It is the type that has the long steel bar that goes down and when the key is turned matches up the two ridged sides to lock them together. Im pretty sure without going to look its a green remmington lock like they sell at Dicks (bought it there before i swore to never patronize them after Sandy hook knee jerk reation to stop selling evil sporting rifles..

Does anyone know if this is the best route or of any lock smiths that arent going to charge me 100 bucks to get it off. Any other suggestions or tricks are greatly appreciated.

and again you can rip me but i already know im a dumbass and its a waste of breath but feel free its your 1st ammendment right..

thank you for any and all responses/suggestions.

View attachment 50145View attachment 50146

Last edited:
I was so going to post the "call a locksmith" from Robin hood men in tights... but. I'll behave. Are you anywhere near me? East bridgewater.

If it's the kind where there is a spring loaded ratchet, you can often push in by the rubber gasket and push the latching bar out of the way.

If not, I recommend a rigid tension wrench and either a diamond or hook pick.

A locksmith should charge WAY less than $100 if you bring the gun to him, however, some may get squirrely about doing such a job.

I have several of those green Remington trigger locks. I have found that some, but not all of the keys work on different locks. Go buy a new lock and cross your fingers the key works. If not, drill it.

also this does not have a straight key its the one with the curved key there gentle U shape in the middle of the key which probably makes it harder to pick..

- - - Updated - - -

im in middleboro...

- - - Updated - - -

i also have the registration paperwork proving ownership..

If youtube picking methods are unsuccessful, I would suggest just using a dremel with an abrasive cutoff wheel to cut it off. There really isn't too many materials that I can think of that an abrasive disc can't handle.

No one is going to rip you for doing this - I'm sure any of us that have ever had more than one of these stupid trigger locks has lost a key at one time or another.

If it is the common type of trigger lock like I think you are talking about, I had to open one recently (lost the key [frown]) and used nothing more than an old flat bladed screwdriver and a hammer. After about 5 minutes of pounding and prying the screwdriver into lock mechanism, the mechanism pretty much just fell apart and I was able to get it off.

Drilling might work, too, but try it with the screwdriver. It's not like these locks are the really heavy duty, and it will probably break with a lot less effort than you think.

If you have brand and the number on the lock someone will have a key. I always get multiples keyed the same and salt my house with the keys so I can't lose them all

No small lock is worth being a "one of". Always get in identical batches.

I lost the key to a fire safe opened it in like 30 seconds with a bobby pin its pretty easy to rake most locks. Just lookup some standard lock picking stuff it's real easy.

also this does not have a straight key its the one with the curved key there gentle U shape in the middle of the key which probably makes it harder to pick..

Looks like a double sided wafer lock from the picture. Should not be hard for someone with a pick set to open.

Don't use a miter saw to cut it off. Doesn't work and is pretty stupid

Ask me how I know

- - - Updated - - -

Don't use a miter saw to cut it off. Doesn't work and is pretty stupid

Ask me how I know

LOL I dont think the saw would be a good idea. How do you know? i want pictures of your trigger guard all jacked up...

Haha no managled trigger guard. It was a couple years ago I lost the key, only thing that happened is I put a gouge in the back of the shotgun receiver. Didn't effect the intergrety(?) so I got lucky.

Learned my lesson though.

NICE... got it off thanks again.. didnt miss any football either only took 5 minutes (which is not reassuring thankfully my son is a great kid with respect and a brain). I have the guards on and then in locked cases until the tax fairy comes and i can get my new safe. My step son had more gun experience than I when we took the GSC because of his dad. He has a 22 at his dads that he is allowed to take out back and shoot whenever he wants. Has never shot anything he wasnt supposed to go figure if you teach them right and give them responsibility they flourish...

Dynamite.

I hate trigger locks with a passion, I only use cable locks if I even bother to use one, and if I lose the key its quick and easy with some bolt cutters.

Dynamite.

I hate trigger locks with a passion, I only use cable locks if I even bother to use one, and if I lose the key its quick and easy with some bolt cutters.

If you have multiple firearms and must use one, use combo locks and reset them all to the same number.

Mine are all set to open at 000, but I keep them dialed to 001.

Takes one quick flip of the 3rd number to open them.

Just something to think about:
When you buy the Master brand locks you can usually see the key numbers - everyone at deer camp knows what number to get. When you buy the three packs you get 6 keys so include them in your license holder, car keys, spare pocket, zip tie one to your case(s), etc. Chances are if you forgot one, your buddy may not have... ;)

Back
Top Bottom