• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Some fun in the kitchen

peterk123

NES Member
Having the time to do these things certainly makes it easier and much more fun. But there is something nice about doing things from scratch. I have a loaf of bread, crackers, kimchi and pickled lemons in the works right here on the counter. Also a small portion of bacon fat waiting to be used to sear the venison backstraps for dinner.

But what hit me the most about this pic is that I just realized my wife and I eat nothing processed anymore. It wasn't the plan, it just happened.

This year we plan to grow vegetables. We have done it before but living in Montana now creates some challenges, a short growing season. It will be a fun journey.

We kill our red meat. We catch our own fish. We get a half pig from a local farm. The only thing to get rid of now is store bought chicken. Those things freak me out. I think we will buy those locally too, even if the cost is double or triple.

20230413_152821.jpg

We’re not a far along as you, but we do a good job staying away from the middle of the grocery and the processed and pre packaged foods.

We make our own jam, can as much fruit as we have grown, make my own pickled pepper relish, kimchi, etc. make my own jerky, haven’t bought store bread in over 3 years

As for local chicken, back when I was living in Ohio a friend lived outside of town and in the “country”. He had a small local grocery and they slaughtered their own meat and chickens. Their chicken breasts there were cheaper than the big grocery stores.

Back
Top Bottom