• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Some thoughts on Gun Control, the media and Australia as a model for Gun control.

stacarter

NES Member
I posted this on FB to my friends. I keep a pretty tight grip on my FB friends but I still have a few liberal folks in there. Something to throw at an anti if they are spewing the "30,000 people a year, 88 a day!) bullshit.

So this is my appeal to everyone to question any piece of data that is put in front of you by the media that gets your attention. If it gets your attention, it is likely highly doctored and not accurate vs the "fact" they are trying to establish. This goes to both sides of any argument. Politicians and the media do not care about the American people, they care about dollars and their billionaire benefactors.

Gun control advocates are constantly throwing two bits of information at us.

1) There are 30,000 gun deaths a year
2) Australia is a model for gun control

Let's look at those two "facts". Any quick search of CDC and/or FBI data will tell you that 2/3's of those 30,000 gun deaths a year are suicides. Let's be clear, someone else's suicide poses no danger to you or our children right? But when that point is argued, it is countered with "but if we didn't have guns, there would be 20,000 fewer suicides a year because they didn't have a gun do do it with".

Ok. This is where Australia as a model comes in. Australia had similar gun laws in 1996 as we do now. Then a mass murder sparked them to ban and confiscate almost all civilian firearms. (if you call it a buy back you are an idiot, if my choice is selling my firearm to the government for a fraction of what it cost or going to jail, that isn't a buy back, that is a confiscation). So, now in 1997, we have theoretically no firearms in civilian hands. So since Australia also had suicides before and after their ban, you'd expect that their suicide rate would have dropped right?

Here is suicide data for Australia from 1921 through 2009.

You'd expect a precipitous drop in the suicide rate after a gun ban right? Nope. It went up for 4 years had a drop and has climbed back up to almost 1996 levels in the last 5 years since 2009 even.

The point is that a) anti-gun rhetoric uses suicide data to make its case and b) that the best example of "good gun laws" had no impact on suicide rates, in fact they saw an increase in suicides for a time AFTER their gun ban.

You can find all of this data on the interwebs. Go to any of the ridiculous billionaire funded anti-gun groups for the really bad data about gun deaths that is filled with bad data and really just a summary of body count for any reason that will fit their narrative. Google about the Australian gun ban and confiscation and historical Australian suicide rates.

Attachments

• Australian_Suicide_Statistics.png
    Australian_Suicide_Statistics.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 24
Well, they did not ban and confiscate all firearms, only semi-auto rifles, shotguns and pump action shotguns.
Also put some very severe restrictions on handgun ownership.
However, one can easily kill themselves with a double barrel hunting shotgun or a bolt action rifle so I fail to see how banning semi autos and handguns will decrease the number of suicides.

Good information, and, it's a tough battle.

I don't do FB or any social media, if I would, I'd go FR on everyone and probably get banned [laugh]

IMO, until you make people see that there is a dark side to this gun control, and .gov wanting disarmed citizenry has a lot to do with tyranny, a person cannot be truly convinced.

Had a friend that told me once "well, what, so let's say a the .gov goes full retard and it's citizens vs. .gov, what the hell will ar 15 do against an air force? "

My reply was:
First, the people have much more than just ar-15.

Second, the total personnel of the US armed forces is ~ 1.3 million.
There are 1 million licensed deer hunters in the state of Pennsylvania only. [laugh]

But, the most important thing to think about, I said, - what do you think the world would do if F-15's would start bombing away ? don't you think some countries that hold quite a grudge against the US .gov will be glad to intervene "in the name of human rights" ?

It's not that simple..

After all that, I think it made a bit more sense to him that having an armed citizenry, even in 21st century, can be quite a deterrent to .gov from going FR.

Last edited:
Well, they did not ban and confiscate all firearms, only semi-auto rifles, shotguns and pump action shotguns.
Also put some very severe restrictions on handgun ownership.
However, one can easily kill themselves with a double barrel hunting shotgun or a bolt action rifle so I fail to see how banning semi autos and handguns will decrease the number of suicides.

You can't ban rope...

If ever, if one must off himself, might as well do it with a firearm. Otherwise, people can, and do some crazy shit to off themselves which ends up getting other people hurt or killed.

Grim, but true.

Last edited:

I don't do FB or any social media, if I would, I'd go FR on everyone and probably get banned [laugh]

IMO, until you make people see that there is a dark side to this gun control, and .gov wanting disarmed citizenry has a lot to do with tyranny, a person cannot be truly convinced.

Had a friend that told me once "well, what, so let's say a the .gov goes full retard and it's citizens vs. .gov, what the hell will ar 15 do against an air force? "

My reply was:

There are 1 million licensed deer hunters in the state of Pennsylvania only. [laugh]

But, the most important thing to think about, I said, - what do you think the world would do if F-15's would start bombing away ? don't you think some countries that hold quite a grudge against the US .gov will be glad to intervene "in the name of human rights" ?

It's not that simple..

After all that, I think it made a bit more sense to him that having an armed citizenry, even in 21st century, can be quite a deterrent to .gov from going FR.

+1, whenever an anti throws out the "gov has superior firepower so citizens having guns wouldn't win a revolution", I tell them that the founding fathers faced down the world's largest and most technologically advanced military of that era and won. In addition, I think that if an order was given to fire upon American citizens, most members of our military would refuse, because they swore an oath to the Constitution, not whoever occupies the White House and other bureaucrats.

My reply was:

There are 1 million licensed deer hunters in the state of Pennsylvania .

Very good point. If there are 100mm gun owners and only 25% of those stood their ground so to speak, that force would be 10 times the size of the largest standing army in the world (China ) and more than 5x larger than the 3 largest armies combined (China, US, India).

So the answer to the question of "what are you going to do?" seems to be "we'd clean house and start over and the first ones up against the walls would be the billionaires and politicians and anyone who advocated the violation on the Constitution."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A

Recently I've been seeing a counter fact to Australia's ban : they had 20% compliance. I think most of America could easily dump 20% of their guns , just to get rid rid of the oddball calibers and project guns to make some elbow room in the safes.

Back
Top Bottom