Someone breaks in - Do you yell that you're armed or not?

... hearing protection on.

Mrs. Pipes now rolls her eyes when she sees someone in a movie/tv show, shooting inside a closed car or small room and not becoming instantly deaf.

Not because she knows one doesn't SHOOT inside a small, confined space, but because she knows I'll be piping up in a moment with a comment to that effect.

Better question is: If you're breaking into a house and someone yells out "I'm armed", and you turn a corner and see this, do you continue to try to rob the place or do you quietly leave to ponder this philosophical conundrum for the rest of your life?

article-1331464-0C2C3688000005DC-871_634x350.png

That would spoil the surprise.

If you feel you need to yell something you could yell to your spouse.
“Hey get the keys to the backhoe and get the big bag of lime! We need to do some planting tonight!”

Absolutely 100% never under any circumstance should you help your attacker prepare by giving them information about your defensive ability, position, or intentions. Nothing good can come of that.

That’s just my opinion.
I would do just the opposite. Let them know you are armed and that you have called the police and they are on the way. When you are being sued for killing/maiming the guy that broke into your house (and you will) you will be questioned by the dead guy's families' lawyer. He will ask you if you did everything reasonable to prevent his client from being dead/wounded. If you did not do everything possible, he will exploit that to the jury, and may be able to convince them that you have some culpability. Obviously other factors can negate that.

Dave

Ring/Blink/door cameras are great in that they give you pretty good justification in evidence to shoot. Someone forcibly busts open your door, license to kill in most cases. Unless you're in NJ. Doesn't that state still have a duty to retreat if someone breaks into your home?

if it gets to the point where I rack the shotgun then running away is no longer an option...

Yeah, if I'm racking a shotgun, that means I've already fired.

It also means I let off all the rounds out of my pistol, all the ones out of my rifle, and then had time to dig out the shotty. So yeah, I'm well past running away.

It also means I let off all the rounds out of my pistol, all the ones out of my rifle, and then had time to dig out the shotty. So yeah, I'm well past running away.
But slam firing slugs sounds like a good way to defend the front door [rofl]

exactly right...

I would do just the opposite. Let them know you are armed and that you have called the police and they are on the way. When you are being sued for killing/maiming the guy that broke into your house (and you will) you will be questioned by the dead guy's families' lawyer. He will ask you if you did everything reasonable to prevent his client from being dead/wounded. If you did not do everything possible, he will exploit that to the jury, and may be able to convince them that you have some culpability. Obviously other factors can negate that.

Dave
Yea, I'm not going to worry about that. Not unless you have a litany of example cases that you can cite? Anything to support your position?

When you are being sued for killing/maiming the guy that broke into your house (and you will) you will be questioned by the dead guy's families' lawyer.
The odds of this happening are far less likely than most people have been lead to believe. Most people don't have the net worth to make for an appealing ambulance chaser target. Those that do need to make extra precautions.

The odds of this happening are far less likely than most people have been lead to believe. Most people don't have the net worth to make for an appealing ambulance chaser target. Those that do need to make extra precautions.
Still, would you say having some self defense liability coverage insurance for legal is worth the $?

Still, would you say having some self defense liability coverage insurance for legal is worth the $?

I'd be more concerned about being able to put up the $$$ for criminal defense in MA, if there's something that isn't a ripoff then go for it. Be aware a lot of those things have limitations and caveats, though. Some are better than others. If you do some searching you can find previous threads on this topic.

Dave
Plug ‘em…be sure that they have expired…call the lawyer…call the cops…STFU and let the mouthpiece do all the talking. If the lawyer is late, claim chest pains and take the ambulance to the hospital…since the room temp stiff doesnt need it

Should buy you enough time for the lawyer to show up and shut down the police

Yea, I'm not going to worry about that. Not unless you have a litany of example cases that you can cite? Anything to support your position?
It's nearly always
61aSGLka+7L.jpg
And
Mas-Ayoob.jpg

Plus:

View: https://youtu.be/hd1ciPnTGKg

I wish my net worth was high enough to care about civil suits. 🤣 One of my best friends actually had this problem, you need to be well into 7 figures before ambulance chasers start getting moist. When you reach that point, you know, and you take different precautions. Someone actually sued his deceased father over a car accident, the litigation streteched out beyond 5 years of garbage until a settlement was reached.

As other have said my first line of defense is the dogs. No way you are getting in without them going crazy before you make it inside.

Assuming they make it by Kaiser, 100 lb. German Shepherd, then I'll be waiting but I'm fairly confident they aren't getting by unless they shoot him and his sister Bailey, 45 lb. Coonhound Pointer mix.

Absolutely 100% never under any circumstance should you help your attacker prepare by giving them information about your defensive ability, position, or intentions. Nothing good can come of that.

That’s just my opinion.
What about queensbury rules and all that nonsense, good sir??

Plug ‘em…be sure that they have expired…call the lawyer…call the cops…STFU and let the mouthpiece do all the talking. If the lawyer is late, claim chest pains and take the ambulance to the hospital…since the room temp stiff doesnt need it

Should buy you enough time for the lawyer to show up and shut down the police
That is great advice for a criminal case. My advice is for a civil case (a lawsuit) where you can’t take the fifth.

When you are being sued for killing/maiming the guy that broke into your house (and you will) you will be questioned by the dead guy's families' lawyer.
Would the shooter's home insurance payout caps be part of the decision to file?

At least in NH, RSA §627:1-a (Civil Immunity; attorney's fees, and costs) would seem to deter weak "Dindu Nuffin" claims by surviving family.

Back
Top Bottom