Someone pointed a rifle at me today and pulled the trigger!

And you didn't kick his ass, why exactly?

I'd say maybe because this isn't an action movie and there are common sense consequences to real life behavior. Also because if the clerk behind the counter is dumb enough to not only negligently point a firearm at another person but then pull the trigger [angry].... he's probably dumb enough to reach for the loaded firearm that is most likely behind the counter somewhere as a primary defense against an angry customer.. I mean, I wasn't there but that would be my guess as to why he didn't "kick his ass".

I'm guessing most people just cant read....rule 1-4 also the first several pages of any firearms owners manual.....ohh and the rules posted st the range...hmmm

Video surveillance footage is an excellent idea to take to the management provided it isn't the type erases and re-records over itself.
'
This thread is full of keyboard commandos talkin' stupid including one I usually have a lot of respect for.

Like to see what happens how some of you dudes fare in prison fights when other inmates point shanks at you. Let's see, I'm going to commit A&B in a gun store with lots of witnesses, but oh I'm too smart to get caught. Add malicious destruction of property when I destroy the gunshop wall by ramming the clerk's head into it. (It will leave an impression of his face in it, just like the other guy's in the p.u. truck, if that really happened, and if it did then you were lucky.) What happens if you hit the guy and accidentally kill him?

Each time these threads pop up, I really wonder about the common sense of a lot of people out there.

I'm still not going into that store ..... That's the informational point for me. So whether its actually dangerous or not, the idiot sales person has lost a customer.

I've run into it before at gun shops. Never had anyone drop a hammer in my direction. I do make a point to educate someone politely when I don't know them. I did have one fat douche on my department sling his duty belt over his shoulder with loaded 45 in its holster pointed at my face while he told me stories about food or something. That conversation wasn't as polite.

I would get the manager involved immediately. Not only was the salesman's poor judgement bad for business and downright dangerous, this is not the type of story that will help our cause against those who would deny us our rights. It is not a story I would want to make known as fodder for the antis.

I'd have to agree with Mark. There is way too much chest hair in this thread...

So let me explain my aggressive advice which I re-read and thought, now that was not wise! I was shot at while deer hunting at the age of 17 in New Jersey, not once but twice by the same hunter who "thought" he saw a deer. If you have ever been purposely shot at whether it was an accident or in this case, outright stupidity well it NEVER leaves your memory. This little incidence kept me away from guns and hunting for a dozen years and at the age of 30 I joined a hunting club in TN. A few years after joining the club I left my deer stand one cold morning (it was opening day of rifle season) and walked out of the woods and crossed a huge field to get to my Jeep. There were other members there having coffee etc and I noticed a flash of light coming from one of the guys and thought maybe he was signaling me for some reason, as I got a bit closer I could see that he had his rifle up and he was looking at me through his scope! When I made it to the road, I asked "Bubba" if that gun was loaded and he said "yup, but the safety is on so don't worry Nancy". I calmly went to Jeep and put my rifle in the case and then went over to Bubba and shoved his face into his truck hood as I mentioned on my bad advice post.

To the OP, sorry for the bad advice as this would just result in police and bad luck for you. I would have demanded to see the store manager and advised him to train the dufus you ran into. Sorry for rambling and derailing your thread.

I hear ya Al. Been there myself. Reacted similarly. As we all now realize this situation was a bit different. Empty gun (No excuse in most of our books) and a lying store clerk. And physical response would have ended badly for the OP and we all know it. I don't know the store but most of them I frequent are staffed by "Good ol' Boys" who are probably quite tight with management and owners so I would expect little to come from it.

But I would never use the place again. Ever. I would tell everyone and their mother why. Because if someone would act like that and then lie about it, think what they would say and do if you got nailed with an accidental discharge. And don't ever rely on a defendant to produce incriminating video evidence.

I can understand why someone would become pretty upset, but, particularly with noobs.....there is room for plenty of surprises. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a Kahr PM40 off of a gunbroker.com auction, had the gun shipped interstate by FedEx through the seller's FFL, and went to pick it up. Went to the counter at my LGS, counter person opens the box, hands me the firearm without clearing it. I dropped the mag, pulled the slide back and a .40S&W hollow point flew out.....which scared the crap out of me, a buddy with me, the counter clerk, etc....needless to say, conversations were had with LGS counter person, LGS owner, seller's FFL and seller.

It really comes down to one simple thing...BASIC FIREARM SAFETY...over and over again....we all know the rules, and they have to be second nature.....getting angry at someone doesn't take back the consequences of an accidental discharge.

Every incident has unique circumstances. This guy was just not thinking by pulling back the hammer and pulling the trigger and not looking where the rifle was aimed.

I posted this on a CT forum that the gunshop advertises on and the managers name is Mike. He may read this.

The clerks had let their buddy behind the counter while working that Sunday.

He was standing with the rifle to the right of center in the front behind the counter.

index~~element53.jpg

This reminds me of an experience I had at the range not too long ago. My brother and I were approached by a member asking to check our membership, then begins to talk about firearms and what we were shooting. All well and good, until he pulls out his full size M&P to show us and begins pointing it at us. AND THEN shows through the chamber site that its loaded, and tells us its his brother-in-laws gun. In good enough time we picked up our gear and left, as he moved onto another group of guys to converse with. One I know was a LEO so I hope he didn't try the same moves.

That is total BS. My 12 year old son knows not to muzzle sweep someone. Maybe kicking the guys ass is not the right thing to do, but I would definitely yell "stop pointing that gun at me!!"

When its the sales person, it is a whole different deal in my book.

Yeah, that's pretty much the definition of full retard. I'd never go back at that point, unless the manager assured me the offender was barred from working there ever again. It's one thing to go into a gun shop and expect some of the clientele to be dumb about safety, but the staffers should be FAR better than average about safety, no exceptions.

-Mike

Pointing and pulling the trigger is one thing but a muzzle sweep I really don't like it but it us something that always happens and I have always seen happened. I have even seen people who get very upset by this do it also.

Don't get me wrong I respect everyone's views of this but it just doesnt get under my skin much. I try not to sweep anyone but know I have from time to time by mistake (finger never on the trigger)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Well unfortunately there is not a whole lot you can do. Complaining to the management might help, but in the end it turns into a "he said, he said" unless you have witnesses. Even them, how far do you want to go with this.
Drawing down on the guy is really stupid advice and would not end well for the OP. That's keyboard commando crap. Same for "kicking him in the nut sack" guess whose going to get arrested for an A&B?

Exactly. Your situation is an example of something that'll never be resolved to anyone's satisfaction. Not sure what I would have done except to have grabbed the rifle (if close enough) and verbally abused the clerk until he was in tears. Other than that it's now a you said he said thing.

I got a guy thrown out of a gunshow in NH, he was sitting across from a group of us eating lunch, he was playing with a small Browning auto which was pointed right at me, so i decided to say something but before i could, he ejected the mag, which had several rounds in it, he then pulled the slide back and to his surprise a round came out!!! I lost it,, there was a cop close by that i called over and explained what happened, i had plenty of witnesses so there was no denying it. The guy was thrown out of the show, the cop asked me how far I wanted to push it and i suggested to the cop to make the guy sweat it a few days then give the gun back to him. For all I know the cop could have given the guy back his gun before he left the property, dont know or care but i never saw the guy at a show again. Doesnt seem to be a shortage of idiots out there,

Back
Top Bottom