• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Something just for aesthetic.

widnerkj

NES Member
So a long long time ago, one of the online ammo sellers that a buy at fairly often had a pretty awesome sale on 147 grain FMJ .300 blackout ammo. The deal was pretty good because it was but a case, get another free. But the thing I liked the best, was the brass was dyed black. So if you reload for example a 110 grain Barnes TTX, it was like dude from “pimp my ride” was in the reloading room. “Yo dawg! Heard you like black! We got you some black tipped bullets, in black brass, chambered in blackout, for your black rifle!”

I really dig using this brass, and was thinking about dyeing some more. Just because it looks good. Any one have ideas how to dye brass? Any experience doing so? I might attempt to electroplate it, simply because I’m swimming in 5.56 LC brass.

81907088-5404-41DE-970B-58E7354C1DB3.jpeg

You can buy it from Sig.
Personally, for the price, I'd use a Sharpie on my handloads that I hate making.
But that's just me.

APC_1329.jpg

Love that look.

I have some 45 LC black powder loads I pulled down for a friend. I washed the brass off because the BP was kind of caked in there.
Well I forgot the brass in some water for a couple days. Boy did it look cool after I tumbled them up. Looked ancient.
77C79D75-B861-47AA-AD11-202B1A115029.jpeg

No love for me loading 300 BLACKout supersonic. But load me up some 220gr cast subs food and now im happy...
For me personally, the .300 blackout with a bunch of H110 pushing a nosler 110 grain varmegeddon is about perfect. But that’s used hiking around and breaking apart jack rabbits, and putting coyotes to sleep.

Love that look.

I have some 45 LC black powder loads I pulled down for a friend. I washed the brass off because the BP was kind of caked in there.
Well I forgot the brass in some water for a couple days. Boy did it look cool after I tumbled them up. Looked ancient.
View attachment 720539

Are you loading .451/.452/.454/.457 ball in .45 Colt? I've heard of guys doing that with black powder but for the life of me I can't figure out why you'd want to. ;)

Are you loading .451/.452/.454/.457 ball in .45 Colt? I've heard of guys doing that with black powder but for the life of me I can't figure out why you'd want to. ;)
Well the main reason is cheap light recoil loads.
The second reason would be to load 2 balls in 1 case. Lots of fun!

However those are “ballets” from a modified Lyman round ball mould that I happen to treasure. Someone turned it into a small bullet with a lube groove.

FE67AABD-F8D4-48B3-9B4A-C633D39F25ED.jpeg

Well the main reason is cheap light recoil loads.
The second reason would be to load 2 balls in 1 case. Lots of fun!

However those are “ballets” from a modified Lyman round ball mould that I happen to treasure. Someone turned it into a small bullet with a lube groove.

View attachment 731869
Pretty cool! I load .45 Colt with Trail Boss mostly. I have never tried loading for it with black powder, mainly because I don't want to clean that crap out of any of my three guns in .45 Colt! ;)
I do have a .38 that I wouldn't care about dirtying though. Maybe I'll work up a BP load for that.

Back
Top Bottom