sometimes you just need to treat yourself/gun to nice ammo

mac1911

NES Member
I bought some nice 22lr Tenex picked a lot number that had good test results. With low SD and ES numbers.
Decided my 72 year old 513t needed a treat and I almost shot a sub moa group. This should be fun seeing how well it does. Zeroed the scope, shot 10 rounds at 25 and 10 at 50 then moved it out to 100...
w4G95uBh.jpg

I was trying to shoot in between the 5-10mph gusts, the last shot I seen the little wind flag own range start to dance I thought I could beat the wind...plunked that shot to the right!:mad:
I was in a rush and that did not help.

Each .22 seems to prefer its own ammo. My favorite bolt action just loves CCI Blazer - Of course, some cheap .22 bulk ammo varies terribly
Trying a wide variety in your .22s can surprise you. Often a less expensive brand will outperform match target ammo in a particular firearm

Each .22 seems to prefer its own ammo. My favorite bolt action just loves CCI Blazer - Of course, some cheap .22 bulk ammo varies terribly
Trying a wide variety in your .22s can surprise you. Often a less expensive brand will outperform match target ammo in a particular firearm
Yes and when you find ammo your gun likes buy as much as the same lot # as you think you will shoot.

As someone who has toyed with the idea of accurate shooting/ then accurately shooting .22s, there is just so much frustration to getting it really right. Getting five shot groups to 1/2 inch (center to center) at fifty yards is barely the start. Getting to 1/4 inch at 50 yards is the edge of the goal. Translating this to ~3/4" at 100 yards is a difficult step. Here are the results of a lot of Tenex ($17.99 for 50 plus shipping) used to decide if you want to buy this particular lot. Copy and paste: 1018-03069
ELEY Lot analyser
Notice that these are for ten shot groups at 50 meters. The numbers represent edge to edge distance. I would probably subtract 0.223 to get center to center size. Notice also, the 50 shot group at the bottom.

Here is an interesting video (not me) of Tenex from an Anschutz from a machine rest:

eley tenex machine rest - Bing video

Now the part that requires "don't take this the wrong way"... if you can shoot CCI Blazer better than Tenex, it just means that you can't utilize the accuracy potential of the ammunition with your current set up. The term set up includes but is not limited to (ammunition), rifle, scope, rest, and your skill level. One of these will be the limiting factor in how accurately you can shoot from the bench. Unfortunately, if your skill level it the limiting factor, the less accurate ammunition can do better than the more accurate ammunition. [sad] Skill level includes but is not limited to correct/uniform technique, reading the wind, mirage, eyesight, trigger release, and recoil management/follow through. I have this problem and it is frustrating if you want to shoot in say IR 50/50. At least you can get by with some middle $ ammo (and save your money) until you decide to step up and make the commitment ($$$/time) to be really good. [party]Of course, if you are happy shooting the Blazer, I am happy for you. [thumbsup]

I'm going to be running some of the tenex through my old Glenfield 25 . 30 plus years ago this was my most "accurate "
Rifle other than using the club jr rifle club guns.
My Glenfield 25 was the only 22 as a kid I actually tried to hit the X . I used match shorts .
I'm also going to run some tenex through my daughter's rascal.
If I can shoot sub 2" groups at 100 yards with little wind I'm doing well. If I can creep into -1.5" I'm doing better.
I don't generally get much better than that at 100 yards.
My recent 10/22 "build" with KIDD barrel is living up to its claimed accuracy and I can get 1/2" groups with sk standard plus , rws rifle match and close with CCI. I will eventually get some tenex in the 10/22 when I mount the scope on it.
Right now I'm shooting the 10/22 with the Redfield Olympic sights from the 513t

I'm going to have fun

Not in the same league as White Feather, my favorite .22 is a Mossberg training rifle, bolt action with aperture sight and brass bead front. Used by countless army recruits, then transferred to the Boy Scouts and handled by Lord knows how many recruits, the rifle was manufactured between 1914 and 1917. 1" group at 50 yds from bench; 1 1/8" sitting position. Not sure what it is capable of with a decent scope

Not in the same league as White Feather, my favorite .22 is a Mossberg training rifle, bolt action with aperture sight and brass bead front. Used by countless army recruits, then transferred to the Boy Scouts and handled by Lord knows how many recruits, the rifle was manufactured between 1914 and 1917. 1" group at 50 yds from bench; 1 1/8" sitting position. Not sure what it is capable of with a decent scope
might just surprise you like my 513t. These guns where ment to be shot and to try and shoot nice groups. Given the conditions and requirements of these rifles from that time frame MOA or even sub moa was not the game but to put as many shots into the X/10 as possible under certain shooting positions and distances. Also remember your mossy was built for a time when you could not have a 1lb trigger. The trainer and matches that rifle seen the pull was probably 3.5 to 4.5lbs min! shooting at aprox 2 moa targets. at 25-50-100 yards

Last edited:

I have a 10/22 that shoots about 1 1/4” groups at 50 yards with almost everything, but with Wolf match extra it looks like I’m patterning a shotgun. I’ve tried it on 3 occasions and it absolutely hates the match extra.

I have a 10/22 that shoots about 1 1/4” groups at 50 yards with almost everything, but with Wolf match extra it looks like I’m patterning a shotgun. I’ve tried it on 3 occasions and it absolutely hates the match extra.
My 513t takes about 20-30 rounds to settle each time I change ammo. I don't really know why some rifles take longer than others to "foul" the barrel.
For example : even with 223 if I try running accuracy test with different loads and bullets I need to at least give the barrel a quick clean and then 10 rounds before I can trust what I see down range. Drove me nuts a few years ago.
I have a tactical solutions AR upper I will be bringing out again soon and see how that does. I never put that to paper.
it was strictly a fun blasting set up. Tasco red dot (almost 30 years old now) zeroed for 100 yards and blast 4" steel and clay targets and what ever else we can see at 100 yards.
Interesting to see how it groups.

What I was told for any technical reason is that match 22lr have a different bullet profile. After you put several hundred rounds of A ammo through a rifle fouling, lead and such build up in certain areas. When you switch ammo and the bullet profile is different it can jam into the fouling built up by the last ammo or less likely in my opinion need to jump more to the fouling/lands and grooves?
Then there is the " it likes what it likes " syndom.
Wolf match extra was always very good for me. For the price it's very good. I hope to get some more time with the tenex and 513t . Calm day at 200 yards next.

Back
Top Bottom