• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Son's first CCW..Recomedations Please..

Glock 27 with matching 22. 9mm and 357sig conversion barrels. he can use the G22 mags in the G27 if he needs them.

4a54b9ad785e756620fe1cdb8ca78283.jpg
Yeah, it's a 50 caliber. They used to use it to hunt buffalo with... up close! It's only legal in two states. And this isn't one of them.

My son want's a Glock..I am to old school for that...Any recommendations ? Thank you..

Technology progresses. With cars and guns, it's certainly a good thing that they don't make them how they used to.

Most people have 1911s, few carry them.

G19, Shield 9, or G43 depending on how big of a gun he wants and how important capacity is to him.

Or one of the other glocks with a 9mm barrel.

Glock 19s are terrific for a first CCw. I carry my G19 often. Big enough to control and manipulate as a newer shooter but still sized well for concealment. Simple operation. Cheap ammo for practice and accessories are ubiquitous. Very reliable platform.

Also, even if you're old school, he may not be. The gun he enjoys shooting will be the one he shoots more, and that will make all the difference. Much in the same way that if someone handed you a glock as a present, you might still be more likely to shoot the guns with which you are more comfortable... (I'm assuming wheel gun?.. lol)

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not let him choose? He already said what he wants.

Lorcin, Warthawg, or Jennings if not a Glock.

He is the one who is going to carry it,so if it feels good in his hand,and he shoots well with it then your all set.Now all he needs is a shit load of training with it, so he will be safe.Now have your son join the forum,so he can ask the question how do you tell a pre- ban Glock mag from a post-ban.

The Glocks are too light on the trigger for CCW in my opinion, particularly for a young person's first CCW. It's much too easy to have an accidental discharge with those light Glock triggers.

I would rather recommend something with a longer and heavier trigger pull for his first CCW, something like a small Kahr in either 9mm or .380, or a Bodyguard. Those guns are not as "cool" as the Glocks, but much safer.

Yeah, now flame me.

I hope you're trolling......

To the OP, if he likes how the Glock shoots, get him a Glock.
Call Northeast Arms, see if they have any available. If not and you feel like driving I believe our very own Minuteman Armory always has some on hand.

Regardless of what gun he owns (thanks drgrant for pointing that out), make sure he has a good holster that protects the trigger and holds it's shape for reholstering. As well as a good holster and using his head keeping his the finger off the trigger until ready to shoot, he won't have any accidental discharges.

Last edited:
The Glocks are too light on the trigger for CCW in my opinion, particularly for a young person's first CCW. It's much too easy to have an accidental discharge with those light Glock triggers.

Not sure if serious. If someone can't keep their booger hook off the switch they shouldn't be carrying a gun.

Yeah, the triggers are so light... that when I got my Gen4 G17 stock out of the box the peak pull break was almost 7 pounds before I put a new connector in it. It's so light. [rofl] Even my guns with the 3.5 connectors break somewhere around 5 pounds or so.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Regardless of what gun he gets, make sure he has a good holster that protects the trigger and holds it's shape for reholstering. As well as a good holster and using his head keeping his the finger off the trigger until ready to shoot, he won't have any accidental discharges.

Fixed it for you.

I would rather recommend something with a longer and heavier trigger pull for his first CCW, something like a small Kahr in either 9mm or .380, or a Bodyguard. Those guns are not as "cool" as the Glocks, but much safer.

Yeah, now flame me.

I'm sure you'll get flamed, so to defend you a bit, here's Larry Vickers, saying Glocks in appendix carry are too dangerous for his classes.

I think also one of the instructors from a local school carries his Glock unchambered if I remember.

LAV-Appendix.jpg

Last edited:
Over the years I prepared for my son's time with a CCW. I bought one a year of my favorite guns that would ultimately become his:

Glock 19
CZ 75B
Sig 226
S&W 29

Of those he tends to carry the Glock, but loves shooting the rest too.

Ok...Thank you to everyone...The gun of choice was the Smith and Wesson M& P 9 with the Crimson Trace...Now I want one..LOL..

The full size or the 9C? What is his body type and carry location preference?

Free advice, probably not even worth the price of admission, and just my opinion--lasers are not very useful. We have two. They sound cool, and they sell well to people who have never trained with them, but they don't add much in terms of self defense capability. It is very hard, if not impossible, to see the dot in daylight. Once it gets dark enough to see them, you start getting into target identification problems. In other words, if you can see the laser, you probably should be using a weapon light to ID your target and its background, in which case you don't really need the laser.

Yes there are certainly very specific situations where a laser would help. But the probability is so low that the money would be MUCH better spent on ammo and professional training. Again, just MHO.

ETA: My wife and I have spent lots of good money on lots of professional training. I have never even seen a class offered on shooting with a laser.

Last edited:
The full size with a shoulder holster..Nice fit as he is a big guy,,Big hands..I thought the laser was a waste of money..But it's his..We went thought a box together and loved it.

Back
Top Bottom