• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sounded like gunshots

I swear I just heard like 15-25 gunshots. I heard a coyote earlier, but think that was another direction, and usually if someone is taking care of one they will do one or two shots. This was definitely not fireworks, and the rythym they happened in sounded more like gunshots, not fireworks being lit. My kid even woke up and asked me to put on the scanner. The Auburn one was offline, and is only fire anyhow.

Around 12:45 or so in Auburn/Worcester area. Going to have to watch the news tomorrow.

You won’t do well in America. Some times people just wanna shoot.

Just don't hit the transmit button ;)

I assume Auburn isn't P25?

Where I am the police went P25 rendering my gear useless - I now have to fork over $$$$ for an SDS100.

Get yourself a Baofeng UV-5R. That should pick up Auburn PD.

ETA: Confirmed - it DOES pick up Auburn PD.

I swear I just heard like 15-25 gunshots.
Did you hear backhoe noises afterwards?

Just don't hit the transmit button ;)
Pro-tip: if you MARS/CAP a rig,
try to set the public service memory transmit power settings
to the lowest level.

Bonus: Some Yaesus' (at least) service menus let you set the actual power
for each LO/MED/HI value to a number between 0 and 255.
If you are serious about using the rig for scanning, then set the value for LO to 0.
Then any memory preset to LO power won't transmit at all if you PTT by accident.
For instance, on the VX-5R, it's called "L1 Tx Power Adjustment"
(the menu label is "L1 POWER", and the menu item is number 21).

I hear gunshots behind my house all the time, probably from a coyote...Coyote33! (I live near Auburn Sportsmans Club)

Back
Top Bottom