sounds of gunfire in Norton

group_of_puppies1024x768.jpg

flashpoint_season-4.jpg

Nothing to see here, move along.

So, gunshots in a residential area next to a highway = no big deal?

I sure as hell wasn't about to call the cops, but it did put me on my toes...especially at 3am

If you live near 495 in Norton, then you know there are a lot of woods there. Probably folks out jacking deer.

I am glad I live in a neighborhood where if I hear gunshots, my first thought is: That muth...he has a range in his yard and didn't even invite me!
YMMV

If you live near 495 in Norton, then you know there are a lot of woods there. Probably folks out jacking deer.

Yeah, I'm right in the middle of the Comcast center/TPC and Mansfield airport, so it's just not something I'd expect to hear in that area I guess.

I did see a few cop cars parked in front of that old run down indoor soccer place at the end of reservoir st on Monday afternoon, so that got me wondering...and then to hear it again yesterday piqued my interest, but I won't be losing any sleep over it.

I have heard some pops every now and then, but I am off Freeman st so I have all the woods between here and TPC Boston so I imagine it's guys hunting. They could be shooting at deer or ladies walking their dogs, all the same I guess.

Going on right now 10am. and has been on since about 9:45am. sounds like it's coming from somewhere northern part of Norton and Taunton line. not just isolated hunting/shoots but rather rapid fire of more than two rifles. To my knowledge there is no ranges in this part of Norton or Taunton, but that's exactly what it sounds like - multiple people firing rifles, heard from the distance.

any knowledge of what might be going on, anyone?

My guess is that the State Trooper who got off after shooting his neighbor was out celebrating by shooting at everything that moved in the woods!

[pot]

I work in the Taunton industrial park. I hear those shots every week. I've been told that it is police, but I haven't found where. From where I am, it sounds like towards 495, over beyond he weather bureau. About a month ago, it sounded like three or four shooters, rapid fire.
I'll ask around, maybe security knows (one of the guys lives local).

I live on the Easton/norton line not far from the cranberry bogs. I do hear shots from the bogs every once in a while. I was not around this morning though.

A good amount of folks send rounds down range in various pits in rocky woods, won't get me to admit to it though ;)

Live off Burt and Glebe - Was out this weekend with the neighbors for a comparison between a S&W air weight and a 19-3. A couple of CCI quiets from the Mark II thrown in for good measure.

This area has quite a bit of recoil happening as a norm so I don't really notice anymore.

Need to get cutting trees so I can clear the 100 yrd range in the back - building the backstop will be an adventure though. Anyone have access to heavy equipment and a 1000 yards of fill for free range time?

not really big deal for me.
just was curious what's going on. in my 5 years living here never heard this much gunfire, aside from occasional hunting bangs here in there in the woods.
in case there was something going oni didn't know about and could benefit from [smile]

24 year resident ..... Easton rod and gun is literally on the line also 2 seconds from Taunton and people shoot at the turkey farm off toad island road and patlena area across winnacunit

24 year resident ..... Easton rod and gun is literally on the line also 2 seconds from Taunton and people shoot at the turkey farm off toad island road and patlena area across winnacunit

nope it could not have them. gunfire came from completely opposite direction. that plaice exist on really down-low. i've never heard of them in the 5 years living here until you mentioned it.

Live off Burt and Glebe - Was out this weekend with the neighbors for a comparison between a S&W air weight and a 19-3. A couple of CCI quiets from the Mark II thrown in for good measure.

This area has quite a bit of recoil happening as a norm so I don't really notice anymore.

Need to get cutting trees so I can clear the 100 yrd range in the back - building the backstop will be an adventure though. Anyone have access to heavy equipment and a 1000 yards of fill for free range time?

No kidding, my.buddy lived over at the.big long lot off of glebe.... The degenerate a**h***s with the love of fireworks and racing cars in the yard...

A good amount of folks send rounds down range in various pits in rocky woods, won't get me to admit to it though ;)

That is exactly where I was thinking it was coming from. On some Saturdays it sounds like either many, many, shooters or full auto fire... Maybe both... LOL

I work in the Taunton industrial park. I hear those shots every week. I've been told that it is police, but I haven't found where. From where I am, it sounds like towards 495, over beyond he weather bureau. About a month ago, it sounded like three or four shooters, rapid fire.
I'll ask around, maybe security knows (one of the guys lives local).

If you go down Miles Standish Blvd. away from Holiday Inn and take a right on Hill Street (Motion Concepts & Rens Welding building on corner). Just before the the fork in road of Crane St & Hill St., on your right, you should see the animal shelter set back from the road.

I believe that is where previous post said LEO range is behind the shelter. Mapquest satellite view shows a small sand bank behind the building, straight back from the driveway in.

Last edited:
That is exactly where I was thinking it was coming from. On some Saturdays it sounds like either many, many, shooters or full auto fire... Maybe both... LOL

If you go down Miles Standish Blvd. away from Holiday Inn and take a right on Hill Street (Motion Concepts & Rens Welding building on corner). Just before the the fork in road of Crane St & Hill St., on your right, you should see the animal shelter set back from the road.

I believe that is where previous post said LEO range is behind the shelter. Mapquest satellite view shows a small sand bank behind the building, straight back from the driveway in.

That looks like it could be it. Hard to tell from the satellite view but would be a good spot for it.

i agree. direction sound was coming from does match although i'm a little dubious because it's pretty far from where i'm almost 2 miles with acres and acre of woods in-between. when i go to the range and there is a lot of shooting going on i don't hear it until i'm withing aabout quarter of a mile from it. and conditions are very simmilar - wooded area all around with few marshy open areas here and there.

Drove by it today. From the street you can see a small sand bank behind the shelter to the right. There is a big pipe type gate across where you would drive in. Must be where Norton PD does practice.

Last edited:
Drove by it today. From the street you can see a small sand bank behind the shelter to the right. There is a big pipe type gate across where you would drive in. Must be where Norton PD does practice.

Cool. Wonder if they'd mind if someone showed up and started shoot alongside them [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom