South Dakota Governor Signs Law Allowing Teachers To Arm Themselves

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Teachers are now allowed to bring guns into the classroom in South Dakota.

Gov. Dennis Daugaard signed House Bill 1087 into law Friday, enabling state school boards to "supervise the arming of school employees" or hire security personnel.

As The New York Times notes, South Dakota is believed to be the first U.S. state to sign such legislation into law.

Full Story >>> Guns In Classrooms: South Dakota Governor Signs Law Allowing Teachers To Arm Themselves

The libs must be convulsing over this!

[thumbsup]

If this becomes a trend, the cowards that shoot up schools will have to choose "gun-free" districts. That will tell us everything we need to know.

Lets see how they implement the law and if any schools personal do carry before i get too excited over this, but its a good start.

I hate how bad a light the news puts on this, not that its unexpected, but to show reps at the bottom of the page with a head line "who want to put more guns in schools"

kinda makes me hope either the teachers do go forth and carry, or a armed security officer is set in the schools and prove to the skeptics that its not a bad thing like they think.

The union will make it a gun free work environment. If you get caught with a gun you get fired. So it will be like working at any other place, where it is legal to carry but against company policy. (Thats just what I think will happen).

The union will make it a gun free work environment. If you get caught with a gun you get fired. So it will be like working at any other place, where it is legal to carry but against company policy. (Thats just what I think will happen).

I'd say that's a good reason to get rid of the union.

It will be up to the school boards and all the soccer moms will pitch a bitch so the boards wont alow it to happen.Hope im wrong but at least its a start and a eye opener that States are considering it.

This is a remarkably great idea. You only have to look at how bravely some teachers acted during the shooting at Sandy Hook and Virginia Tech to understand why. I'd rather entrust my children to armed teachers than to armed police any day. Teachers often have a connection to their students that is second only to parents.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to read between the lines of this law; headlines aside, I'd be a little surprised if it didn't enable local school committees to regulate this somewhat. The Huff Post article in the OP suggests school committees will have to either arm teachers or pay for security, but I'd imagine the actual law gives them some discretion about how they actually do the arming.

And if the law requires schools to do something and the schools do it, the unions don't usually have any ground to stand on. Case in point: MCAS.

This is why my mom and dad moved from Mass to NH in 62 and then to SD in 87. I remember my dad telling me as a teenager that the politics/freedoms in 62 were too restrictive for him to live in Mass any longer (he grew up in Shrewsbury) and moved to a free state (NH)...he saw our freedoms being eroded by the liberal left in NH and took flight to SD...He is a freedom loving man.

Back
Top Bottom