• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Spanking new to reloading:

Hey folks,

I am interested in a simple recipe for 9mm luger hollow point and 12 gauge slug reloading. Reliable powder, primer ect.

Could use a little guidance please.

Thank you

Bobby P.

With YouTube restricting reloading videos a loy of good visual resources went away.
You will need two different presses for pistol and shotgun but the same levels of care and attention to detail.

If you are only looking to save money then 9mm won't save a huge amount.
Right now bulk 9mm can be had for $0.30/rnd or slightly under. Primers are going for $100/k and HP bullets are around $0.10 each so you are already at $0.23/rnd with powder before your time or cost of tools.
Looking real quick at the cost of 12g slugs it looks line they run around $70/100.

If you cast your own bullets and slugs then the prices drop dramatically and it makes sense to reload commodity calibers.
If you switch to 38,357, 44 or most centerfire rifle then reloading saves money fast.

With YouTube restricting reloading videos a loy of good visual resources went away.
You will need two different presses for pistol and shotgun but the same levels of care and attention to detail.

If you are only looking to save money then 9mm won't save a huge amount.
Right now bulk 9mm can be had for $0.30/rnd or slightly under. Primers are going for $100/k and HP bullets are around $0.10 each so you are already at $0.23/rnd with powder before your time or cost of tools.
Looking real quick at the cost of 12g slugs it looks line they run around $70/100.

If you cast your own bullets and slugs then the prices drop dramatically and it makes sense to reload commodity calibers.
If you switch to 38,357, 44 or most centerfire rifle then reloading saves money fast.

Almost all those videos can now be found on Rumble. That’s my first stop now for reloading stuff. That being said “Johnny’s Reloading Bench” and Bolt action reloading are good channels on YouTube for some topics.

I think the new YT guidelines don’t allow you to show it but it still can be discussed. There are still some old videos relating to specific presses available that show the whole process. I assume YT will remove those at some point, but they are still there now.

Any suggestions on good powders for 9mm and 12G?

This isn't a money saver for me, but I don't want to pay stupid prices either.

Any recipes for 9mm or 12G Slug?

I plan to make my own slugs, the only issue with that so far is finding lead at reasonable prices

B-

I plan to make my own slugs, the only issue with that so far is finding lead at reasonable prices

B-
Not sure where you are located, but I would suggest taking a trip to Glenn's reloading in N.Reading. He usually has a good assortment of powder, and a wealth of knowledge to go along with it. His prices are inline with what you would find online as well.

Not sure where you are located, but I would suggest taking a trip to Glenn's reloading in N.Reading. He usually has a good assortment of powder, and a wealth of knowledge to go along with it. His prices are inline with what you would find online as well.
Thanks, I went to a place on Rt 6 in Westport, he has a bunch of materials, but he suggested I form a recipe for my preferred shot. I am going for self-defense ammo.

B-
Decide which 12 gauge slug you are going to cast yourself. Then you can see what they have for load data from that manufacture with 12 gauge. There is a huge amount of options between shell manufacturers, wad manufacturers, primer manufacturers, and all the different powders and all the different combinations of all the manufacturers, and the powders.

9 mm same thing pick a bullet check the manufacture is load data then find a recommended powder from that load data that you can actually find and buy. By the time you round up and use up some components you’ll be familiar with the process and may or may not have come to some understanding of what you do and do not like with what you loaded.

As far as reasonably priced lead, there isn’t any unless you can round it up for free you’re going to want to use pure soft lead most slug molds don’t do well with other alloys. Now, if you’re going to use a Lee slug, mold you’re going to want to use pure soft lead any other alloy likes to stick to the mold? Trust me

Last edited:
I am interested in a simple recipe for 9mm luger hollow point

Pick your poison.
Most bullet manufacturers provide load data. Some free, some not.
All powder manufacturers provide load data.
115 gr hollow point? 124 gr hollow point? 147 gr hollow point?
Hornady? Sierra? Speer?

9 might be still less expensive to buy in bulk than it is to reload, keep that in mind.

Decide which 12 gauge slug you are going to cast yourself. Then you can see what they have for low data from that manufacture with 12 gauge. There is a huge amount of options between shell manufacturers, wide manufacturers, primer manufacturers, and all the different powders and all the different combinations of all the manufacturers, and the powders.

9 mm same thing pick a bullet check the manufacture is low data then find a recommended powder from that low data that you can actually find and buy by the time you round up and use up some components you’ll be familiar with the process and may or may not have come to some understanding of what you do and do not like with what you loaded.

As far as reasonably priced lead, there isn’t any unless you can round it up for free you’re going to want to use pure soft lead most slug molds don’t do well with other alloys. Now, if you’re going to use a Lee slug, mold you’re going to want to use pure soft lead any other alloy likes to stick to the mold? Trust me
Thank you !

worth every penny

Hey folks,

I am interested in a simple recipe for 9mm luger hollow point and 12 gauge slug reloading. Reliable powder, primer ect.

Thank you

Bobby P.
Ignore internet recipies. They can get you killed. Buy a good reloading manual from Speer or Hornady or others.

Thank you !
Hey folks,

Thank you

Bobby P.
As far as lead goes. When I need dead soft or pure lead I buy from a known sorce. Right now soft lead is running $2.50+ lb .
Its best to ask around your club especially amongst the muzzle loaders if they have any lead group buys going on.
I use Roto Metals as they usual have some sort of deal or bulk price options. I dont use much pure lead these days. I casted up a bunch of Lee 12g slugs to use. I load my slugs to water jug blasting velocities so they are not as stout as your typical 1500fps slug.

Most important things in reloading are knowing WHAT you are doing and WHY.

Buy a couple of reloading books that explain the process and read them before you invest in any materials or equipment.

Read as much as you can. I would definitely take the Mass. Reloading class, Jim is a wealth of knowledge and a great guy. Also download the Hodgdon app for your phone, it’s free. Always ask questions, plenty of very sharp, good guys & gals on here.Buy some reloading books.The abc’s of reloading for starters. It will explain why you do things and why you don’t. Good luck.

Ignore internet recipies. They can get you killed. Buy a good reloading manual from Speer or Hornady or others.
This

All it takes is one type error when someone posts their "recipe" and kaboom. I use online posted data as advice on what others consider a "good load"......but I always cross reference it against my Lyman 50th manual before using it.

There are plenty of good recipes on the web. My 45acp load was found by searching for 185jhp and Bullseye powder. 4.5gr of Bullseye is what I started with and continue to use to this day regardless of the bullet. My recent 223 load was pulled from another website and was an average of a few recipes using Varget. For 9mm I've tried Titegroup and Universal, but stuck with Universal as it burns a little cleaner.

Being careless will get you killed or injured.

Taking a class is a good idea. It will likely answer all your questions. 9mm brass is all over the ground at the club so you should never have to buy any. Same with 12 ga. shells. As others have said, make practice ammo but buy defensive ammo. As far as reloading goes, component prices are higher right now but so is the cost of factory ammo. Better late than never.

There are plenty of good recipes on the web. My 45acp load was found by searching for 185jhp and Bullseye powder. 4.5gr of Bullseye is what I started with and continue to use to this day regardless of the bullet. My recent 223 load was pulled from another website and was an average of a few recipes using Varget. For 9mm I've tried Titegroup and Universal, but stuck with Universal as it burns a little cleaner.

Being careless will get you killed or injured.
Go for it. Personally, I don't trust any sources other than published texts.

Back
Top Bottom