• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Special Rack Grade Garand buff and polish

I recently picked up a Special Rack Grade Garand from the CMP. The promise of a new stock and barrel was what sold me. I expected a severely pitted receiver and was surprised to get a Springfield with no pitting above the wood line. The gas cylinder was the only part of the rifle that looked like it was 70 years old. unfinish A.jpg
It looked out of place so I wanted to bring it up to the same level as the rest of the rifle. I decided to paint it with Rustoleum High Heat paint ($9) at my local hardware store. Paint.jpg
A little hand sanding and a thorough clean up with my wifes nail polish remover and it was ready to go. finish A.jpg

The problem with this High Heat Paint is the curing process. It requires multiple heating and cooling cycles with progressively higher heat. My wife put the kibosh on using her new stove so I cobbled together a plan to use my heat gun and bbq grill. It worked and came out pretty good if I say so myself. Finish.jpg
We shall see how the finish holds up.

Good luck. If you shoot it much the paint will not hold up. This is supposed to be “the guy” for oxiding gas cylinders:

HueyGunner's Gunsmithing

It will probably hold up better since you cured it correctly. I did my own stainless steel blackening with a kit. It looked good for about 2 years. Considering sending all my Gas Cylinders to Huey to have them down correctly .
I believe Huey still used the hot salt method?

Last edited:
Looks great, OP. I coated a stainless AR barrel with similar stuff and cured with a heat gun. Holding up great after a few years. I think yours will hold up as good or better.

You did good to get one of those FG specials. I bought a standard FG last year and it was a wreck.

@mac1911 Not sure what the Italian Stallion uses to coat GC's, but my Turkish return FG was essentially in the white before it was cleaned and coated. Holding up fine after quite a few matches.

What chemical are you using. I used the caswell gel . It worked but did not hold up all that long. 2 years worth of matches. Its now more gray than black.
Post number 24
1955 HRA LMR barreled SG up for a rebarrel MAC1 special: Calling it DONE

Good thing about the paint is you can touch it up easy enough.
I use Caswells Black Oxide concentrate liquid , follow directions and it works perfectly . Looks like original finish and very durable. Parts must be completely oil and grease free. If there is paint or old finish you need to remove it first. The cylinders , lock and gas screws I did were shiny with no finish

I use Caswells Black Oxide concentrate liquid , follow directions and it works perfectly . Looks like original finish and very durable. Parts must be completely oil and grease free. If there is paint or old finish you need to remove it first. The cylinders , lock and gas screws I did were shiny with no finish
I tried the gel and can say I was not thrilled. It worked but took a few applications. IF i do more it will be by the liquid dip method or send it out.

CMP "Garand Services" might be an option for those who don't want to DIY...
#CS100 $45.00

CS100 Gas cylinder assembly refinish
This service includes applying a blackening oxidizer to a Garand gas cylinder, lock and lock screw (the three stainless steel parts on a Garand), this finish replicates the original finish applied to post war components. If you have a stacking swivel and a front sight mounted, they can be refinished with the gas cylinder (no extra charge) so removal is unnecessary. Remember that the front sight and stacking swivel will not be parkerized but rather blackened with the oxidizer which is similar in appearance to Parkerizing but darker.

Services for the M1 Garand - Civilian Marksmanship Program

There are other "Rifle Services" too:
On the right-side column of the web page there are links for the Krag, 03 and 03a3 Springfield, 1917 Enfield and M1 Carbine...

~Enbloc

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom