Speedy New Hampshire

RKG

NES Member
It seems that folks on this site are perrenially interested in "How long did it take . . . ?"

Here is one data point:

I dropped the renewal papers for my NH P&R (non-resident) in the mailbox a week ago Monday. On my street, the mailbox is collected about 2 pm.

My new license came in the mail yesterday. Our mail is delivered about 5 pm.

That means that my renewal took exactly seven days and three hours, and that is before subtracting the elapsed time for a round trip through the mail to Dover, NH. Wow.

My first NR P&R from NH took 9 days portal to portal in 1999. My NR PA (when we could Mail them) took 4 days portal to portal. My Resident P&R (NH) took exactly 7 days and my Wife's took exactly 1 day!

My NH P&R took 6 days 22 hours. But they mentioned something about having to get a new ribbon for "the" typewriter.

Please excuse my ignorance, I should probably spend more time researching but with NH constitutional carry what is the benefit of a P&R? Asking for myself as MA resident and my brother as NH resident. When I asked one of the guys at firing line he said save your $10 it’s not needed anymore. Thank you for any info.

Please excuse my ignorance, I should probably spend more time researching but with NH constitutional carry what is the benefit of a P&R? Asking for myself as MA resident and my brother as NH resident. When I asked one of the guys at firing line he said save your $10 it’s not needed anymore. Thank you for any info.

The only reason an out-of-stater would need a permit in NH is to carry on an ATV or sled, or carry in a school. Otherwise y’all are gtg. If you play don’t ask don’t tell, all is well.

Thanks for replies. I plan on getting Utah non resident so that should take care of that. As far as NH residents selling to residents is it just personal preference or “self policing” that that seller requires buyer to have P&R?

Thanks for replies. I plan on getting Utah non resident so that should take care of that. As far as NH residents selling to residents is it just personal preference or “self policing” that that seller requires buyer to have P&R?
Why would you need a p&r to buy a gun?

This is only because NH declares in the statute that any denial shall be within ten days - then thoughtfully adds real and personal consequences for violators by allowing a judge hearing a denial appeal to award attorney fees if the issuer should have known they were breaking the law.

Is X days more than or less than ten days? Most chiefs have gotten it by now. A few are still in need of remedial lessons.

Why would you need a p&r to buy a gun?

NH RSA 159 Section 159:14
159:14 Exemption. – None of the provisions of this chapter shall prohibit an individual not licensed under the provisions thereof who is not engaged in the business of selling pistols or revolvers from selling a pistol or revolver to a person licensed under this chapter or to a person personally known to him.

Gun Free School Zone Notice

General Information
Generally, it is unlawful for any individual to knowingly
possess a firearm within a school zone. A school zone
is defined as being within a distance of 1,000 feet from
the grounds of a public, parochial, or private school. This
prohibition does not apply to the possession of a firearm
on private property not part of school grounds such as
an FFL’s business premise (e.g., commercial storefront,
residence, or driveway)
Once a customer leaves private property located within
1,000 feet of a school with a firearm, they may be in
violation of Federal Law
. However, in the following
situations an individual would not be possessing a firearm
in violation of 922(q)(A):

1. The individual is licensed by the State or political
subdivision to possess the firearm, and the license
was issued after law enforcement officials verified
that the individual is qualified to receive the license;

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/guide/gun-free-school-zone-notice-atf-p-53101/download

As others have said private sale of pistols requires you to know the buyer or that they have a P&R. For $10, that alone is worth it, plus the other perks. Also, if you want a MA non-res, you have to get one anyway as part of the MA application.

I dropped my application off on a Friday evening and it was ready Monday morning. [rockon]

Seven years ago when I moved to NH you still needed a permit for CC. Three days after the moving van left I went down to the PD and met the chief. I filled out the application. The next morning, the town's Seargent knocked on my door to hand me and my wife our permits. So, it took about 18 hours and hand delivered by a friendly seargent. Ya know, just like in MA.......

I should probably get a one, mine expired like 2 years ago. ConCarry is pretty awesome. [laugh]
If you want to go off-roading it is required. If you want to do FTF purchase, it is pretty much required.

$10. can't go wrong
And for that massive cost of $10, it really is a no-brainer.

Of course I had to convince my NH chief (who I handed the application to) that I really wanted it. He told me that I really didn't need it (which I knew).

If you want to go off-roading it is required. If you want to do FTF purchase, it is pretty much required.

Of course I had to convince my NH chief (who I handed the application to) that I really wanted it. He told me that I really didn't need it (which I knew).

I don't have an offroad toy, and I'm not in the business of buying/selling guns at the moment, so until that changes or I find myself on school property with some regularity, I don't have much a need.

It is also only $10 for the non resident P&R? Last time I had mine it was $100.

It is also only $10 for the non resident P&R? Last time I had mine it was $100.
No, it is $100 for NR and that is a plastic card and you apply to NHSP. Resident is only $10 and that is tissue paper and you apply to your local police chief.

We bought a house in NH and am moving there. If it weren't for my ruptured disc and my Wife's disc problems we'd be full-time there now. As of now we are there more than in MA, so we have all our NH docs in order.

I don't have an offroad toy, and I'm not in the business of buying/selling guns at the moment, so until that changes or I find myself on school property with some regularity, I don't have much a need.

Take this for what it’s worth, but I foresee a day when Democrats again control the legislature (or enough of it) to repeal Con Carry and institute some other form of licensing. At that time, I think I’d like to have a P&RL in hand, as existing licenses have a good chance of being grandfathered. And I spent more than $10 on lunch today.

Take this for what it’s worth, but I foresee a day when Democrats again control the legislature (or enough of it) to repeal Con Carry and institute some other form of licensing. At that time, I think I’d like to have a P&RL in hand, as existing licenses have a good chance of being grandfathered. And I spent more than $10 on lunch today.
Do you think any Democrat would pass up the chance to run the subjects through the ringer and soak them for some fee money?

I had a concealed carry permit in the mid-80s from Chester New Hampshire. It's the same form, they've never changed it.
They're still using the same typewriter.

If it weren't for my ruptured disc and my Wife's disc problems we'd be full-time there now.
len, you've always been a good guy and a respected member of nes...i can put a couple of air mattress' in the bed of my truck, toss ya both in and scoot you up to the new digs in no time. i got a fine bottle of trinidadian 151 rum, triple strained through a gym sock, that can ride with you guys to ease any pain. only for you buddy...i love ya, man. [kiss]

Back
Top Bottom