Speer Gold Dot Self Defense Ammo?

I recently shot the rest of my self defense ammo as a test since it's been sitting in mags for years. No issues, which is great, but I forget what brand/type it was. How is Speer Gold Dot? Specifically, Speer Gold Dot 9mm 147 Grain HP? Obviously, this is for nightstand and CC 9mm pistols. Any reason to buy something else?

Almost any modern defense ammo is good to go. I prefer Speer GD LE, and Federal HST LE, because it comes in 50rd boxes.
I’m going to say that’s not necessarily true

I’ve been shocked on more than one occasion about how much defensive ammo varies in performance and quality

Last edited:
I recently shot the rest of my self defense ammo as a test since it's been sitting in mags for years. No issues, which is great, but I forget what brand/type it was. How is Speer Gold Dot? Specifically, Speer Gold Dot 9mm 147 Grain HP? Obviously, this is for nightstand and CC 9mm pistols. Any reason to buy something else?

I tested a few for my last job. I settled on the 147 gr gold dot for our duty ammo. It had the best grouping and recoil impulse out of our Gen 4 g19s. The new G2 has hollow point filled in for better intermediate barrier performance too

I’m going to say that’s not necessarily true

I’ve been shocked on more than one occasion about how much defensive ammo varies in performance and quality
Federal hst is a solid round usually though. Pretty much anything in the big 3 makers hornady, federal, speer is g2g
Underwood and bbore if you feel like being botique

Sig is good stuff too

Outside of that stay away

The problem you run into is loading and unloading the ammo into the magazines too many times leads to projectile setback…
And I’m sure you know your magazine spring gets weak when it’s left loaded for years…

Other than that the ammo is pretty good. You can get it wet multiple times or whatever. It’s always a good idea to dump your carry ammo every now and then.

And I’m sure you know your magazine spring gets weak when it’s left loaded for years…
E811A033-C546-454B-A404-31DCEB1A4A52.jpeg

It does no damage to a spring to be static over long, extended periods of time when kept in dry room conditions. Loaded or empty.
Springs lose their strength because of use, not storage.

Last edited:
View attachment 533400

It does no damage to a spring to be static over long, extended periods of time when kept in dry room conditions. Loaded or empty.
Springs loose their strength because of use, not storage.
Technically, it depends on the spring design (temper, etc.)

It seems, based on empirical reports on the internet, that some magazine springs may be right on the edge; leaving them loaded (seemingly) can cause slight plastic deformation (creep). All that said, I agree with you, it's probably not worth it to worry. Death happens slowly (thanks, ReiserFS!) So after any initial set is taken, if you shoot your mags occasionally you'll notice weakness long before meaningful failure.

Technically, it depends on the spring design (temper, etc.)

It seems, based on empirical reports on the internet, that some magazine springs may be right on the edge; leaving them loaded (seemingly) can cause slight plastic deformation (creep). All that said, I agree with you, it's probably not worth it to worry. Death happens slowly (thanks, ReiserFS!) So after any initial set is taken, if you shoot your mags occasionally you'll notice weakness long before meaningful failure.
If your particular example is based on the magpul early magazines deforming while loaded, that more of a design of the mag itself not being good enough as opposed to the spring failing.

If your particular example is based on the magpul early magazines deforming while loaded, that more of a design of the mag itself not being good enough as opposed to the spring failing.
I don't think that's the one I'm thinking of.

I feel like I remember a citizen-science effort that included measuring free length before and after periods of compressed storage. That said, the change was small and inconsistent in sample size of about 10 mags. (And I'm now a couple drinks in, so my memory should be taken with extra gains of salt)

Your springs definitely do go bad overtime. As far as the mag body swelling I don’t own any plastic magazines but I would think it’s a real thing to..

I don’t need reassurance or to investigate it on the Internet to tell you that leaving your mags loaded for years isn’t good for them…But hey what do I know I’m just an amateur/novice

Linked ammo on the other hand is the bees knees…

Clearing the chamber to store the gun, then placing the same round on top of the stack and re-chambering it over and over can definitely produce a reduced-length cartridge and possibly result in a pressure spike when it's fired

Clearing the chamber to store the gun, then placing the same round on top of the stack and re-chambering it over and over can definitely produce a reduced-length cartridge and possibly result in a pressure spike when it's fired
That’s not “leaving it loaded” in the sense I’m talking about. In your case the spring isn’t static, it’s being used although minimally.

Here's a recovered round that went through a water-filled one gallon plastic milk jug (not a recommendation, just a one time test):

Attachments

• IMG_1039e.jpg
    IMG_1039e.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 23
Speer is great but every time I only see it in the 20 round packages and the LGS wants $30-38 for it [LOL]. HST is around 60 cents a round in a 50 pack and offers pretty similar performance. Sure, some of you would say, 'but muh life is worth more than a few dollars'. Why pay more though?

Read this:

Basically, between Federal HST, Hornady CD, Rem Golden Saber, and Speer Gold Dot, all are solid choices that will perform well. I've carried all four in various calibers, currently have three of them in different guns.

I have a fired black talon bullet I shot into a five gallon bucket of water in the 90’s. Wasn’t to smart to do in my living room one night. Soaked the ceiling, and made a slight crack in bottom of bucket. Good times.

Attachments

• 93EDD60F-3855-402C-85B1-C01285532A53.jpeg
    93EDD60F-3855-402C-85B1-C01285532A53.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 7
  • 71DDFC88-4FB4-495A-8703-B4F6CF23B34D.jpeg
    71DDFC88-4FB4-495A-8703-B4F6CF23B34D.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 7
It is fun watching Paul Harrell show cheap HP performing better than the top self defense stuff.

that said, having watch all the shooting the bull .410 videos, my under 4” are loaded with HST and 4” and up with Golddot.

I tested a few for my last job. I settled on the 147 gr gold dot for our duty ammo. It had the best grouping and recoil impulse out of our Gen 4 g19s. The new G2 has hollow point filled in for better intermediate barrier performance too

I like the 147’s out of my 365 as well. More of a push than a snap. Expansion still seems to be there with HST’s and G2 gold dots out of the shorter barrel as well.

I have been using the Gold Dot 147 grain as my carry ammo for a very long time. I have Federal HST 147 grain as an alternative based on a recommendation from Mas Ayoob.

My Dept issues GD 147 as our duty round, Its good to go. We have Federal HST approved also if we can't get gold Dot. When I researched it, the 147 did very well in The FBI protocols. The 124+P did a little better but had more recoil. In todays age of MIllenal Officers etc I went with the round I felt would be the easiest for non gun type folks to control.

If you have the spare funds, buy a box each of the major brands and spend an afternoon at the range shooting them all to find the one you're most comfortable with the performance of (recoil, accuracy, etc.). You'll have a fun day at the range, and get to know your carry gun(s) better.

With that figured out, buy up to what your budget can afford. As many have stated, there's not a lot of difference in terminal ballistics between the major manufacturers, so it may be worthwhile to tailor your selection to your carry gun(s) and preferences.

I try to not get into a "This carry round and nothing else..." frame of mind.
ALL major line manufactures have decent stuff and I will put most of them down the pipe, making mental notes on performance, control, POA/POI and such.
Placing each into an "Order of Desirability."

I figure, that way I will know what is usable for me and my skill set with my pistol, and what alternatives I can shoot confidently if my First & Second choices dry up...

YMMV,

"He who fails to experiment with different ammo... is doomed." 👺
~Enbloc

Lots of debate on the best SD ammo. When I’ve trained at SIG with Feds who shoot 1000s of JHP in training, to them it’s a matter of what you hit with. For the rest of us, it’s training to hit COM more often than not. I figure better to train enough with FMJ to hit 80%+ than worry about the best JHP when COM hits are poor. That said, Hornaday Critical Defense are pretty good. They shot well from a compact pistol through a car front window, deflecting high. Unobstructed, even better!

But my 30rd Happy Sticks are filled with Speer Gold Dot for my Kel-Tec Sub2k and G19. A few thousand rounds bought long ago work fine in these weapons.

Back
Top Bottom