• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Spfld Armory EMP-9mm

I believe that the EMP's, TRP's and Trophy Match's are all 100% made in the USA. I can say for certain that my new 1911 EMP Champion Concealed Carry Contour 9MM in Desert FDE is one of the nicest pistols I own.

Tnks, friend wants to get a compact 9 1911-I'll admit that the design interests me also-we found one at a shop but no where was the pistol labeled where from unlike other models which are clearly marked as being from Croatia; this and the SA website plainly stating that they source parts from where ever has him concerned.

His ideal ideal gun would be the Sig ultra compact which has been recently discontinued and while the free state versions can be found the MA model cannot.

I had a SA 1911 with parts from Brazil. Also internals were MIM, not machined.

Fyi MIM-Metal injection molding is a metalworking process in which finely-powdered metal is mixed with binder material to create a "feedstock" that is then shaped and solidified using injection molding. The molding process allows high volume, complex parts to be shaped in a single step.

Apparently as of 2015 their 1911s are all made in Illinois, the same state where they worked to get gun control passed via their lobby group.

Could always go used so your friend's money doesn't go to support gun control, though.

Tnks, friend wants to get a compact 9 1911-I'll admit that the design interests me also-we found one at a shop but no where was the pistol labeled where from unlike other models which are clearly marked as being from Croatia; this and the SA website plainly stating that they source parts from where ever has him concerned.

His ideal ideal gun would be the Sig ultra compact which has been recently discontinued and while the free state versions can be found the MA model cannot.
Also an emp isn't really a 1911.

I had a Sig Ultra ‘Limited’ 1911 3.1” in .45. Gorgeous looking pistol, but very finicky on what ammo it would take. It loved ball ammo and fired 500 rds in one day with zero issues while I was testing it new. After I cleaned it up and had lunch, I switched over to test some carry ammo, think it was Gold Dot HP or something, same ammo I carried on duty in a full size Sig 1911.

It was awful. Nothing but jams, double feeds, FTE, FTF, total nightmare. The steep feedramp due to small size I think did not like hollow points and was starting to dent and even push the round back into the shell after trying to slap force the slide back into battery on several rounds and locked up tight out of battery on several rounds.

Ran perfectly for ball ammo, sold it soon after for those reasons.

As far as the Brazilian made SA 1911s, they ones actually made in Brazil (or with at least 51% Brazilian content) were all marked "IMBEL, Brazil” for Indústria de Material Bélico do Brasil (English: Brazilian War Material Industry). Some of the slide/frame forgings were also made by IMBEL, and they are so stamped on the inside. My EMP just says "Geneseo IL USA”, no other marks, inside or out.

He has pretty much decided not to go with SA, in his mind since the origin isn't clearly identified either the entire gun or parts are from South America and I think this is the correct way to look at it.

Out of curiosity why doesn't the EMP qualify as a 1911, caliber, bushing ??

Not sure why he’s so concerned. Most mainstream guns have same risk of being junk regardless of country of origin.

He has pretty much decided not to go with SA, in his mind since the origin isn't clearly identified either the entire gun or parts are from South America and I think this is the correct way to look at it.

You can just go to the SA website and judge for yourself if it deserves to be called a 1911. No matter what you call it, I think it’s a dam fine gun.

SA EMP 1911

The EMP series are scaled down parts so not interchangeable with any true 1911 parts or accessories.

I looked at a bobtailed version of the EMP4 when they came out, I really liked it, it fit my hand very nicely, but I couldn't see dropping 1k for it.
Another 1911 pattern, but not true 1911 is The Browning 1911-380
These are really nice too, but not worth the $700+ price tag, especially with the polymer frame.
However, you'd never know it was polymer by the look and feel of it.

Items made in other countries must be labeled with their country of origin. However, things made in the US do not have to have any label. So if it doesn't say, it should mean that its US made.

My Smith revolvers are stamped as being made in the US, the Rugers are not stamped where from but their website make it clear that the products are American made-SA chooses not to disclose where the EMP is from-I can't imagine that SA wouldn't state that the model is American made, IF it qualified to be labeled as such.

Again, if its made somewhere else, it MUST be labeled as such. If its made in the US it does not have to be labeled. Though some makers choose to mark their US made guns as US made.

All guns made by SR and S&W are US made.

Understood, if you were making guns here in the States would you opt to keep it a secret ?

I get your point. But there were posts saying "there's nothing on the gun so I don't know where its made".
My post is a direct response to that.

We can talk all you want about whether its good business to write "Made in USA" on a gun.

But it doesn't change the fact that if the gun says nothing. Its made in the US.

Its interesting that S&W marks its revolvers but not its pistols. (at least not the M&P line).

Snub - I think its tradition more than anything. Smith revolvers have always had this roll marked on the side.

I'm not sure why. Possibly because if they are marked made in USA then a gun can just be plucked from stock and sold internationally.

You can just go to the SA website and judge for yourself if it deserves to be called a 1911. No matter what you call it, I think it’s a dam fine gun.

SA EMP 1911

Interesting that SA describes it as "lightweight". If the plan is to carry it concealed, I'd definitely invest in a good gun belt AND suspenders. I held one at 4 Seasons and the thing would feel like carrying around a brick in a holster.

Interesting that SA describes it as "lightweight". If the plan is to carry it concealed, I'd definitely invest in a good gun belt AND suspenders. I held one at 4 Seasons and the thing would feel like carrying around a brick in a holster.
It actually weighs 1 oz less than my current EDC, which is a P229. You do need a stout belt for the Sig, but no suspenders. It also weighs about 10 oz less than a “real” full sized 1911 in 45 ACP and I know a number of folks who are quite happy using them as an EDC. Since I’m a Mass resident and stuck with the 10 round limit (the pre-ban P229 mags don’t really fit the new P229-1 so I’m stuck with the new 229-1 10 rounders) I’m seriously thinking of switching to the EMP. Biggest issue would be retraining to use a “cocked and locked” platform instead of a DA/SA.

The 15 re-engineered (not comparable with a standard 1911) parts in the EMP:

slide
frame
left grip panel
right grip panel
firing pin
firing pin spring
extractor
plunger tube
plunger spring
trigger
magazine tube
magazine follower
magazine spring
magazine base plate
magazine base pad

The EMP's grip frame (L) is about 1/4 inch smaller in diameter than the .45 ACP Micro 1911.

Edit: In other words, pretty much most of the gun:)

Last edited:
Please realize this as someone who loves the 1911 platform and has other than the 1911 only owned Glocks for years.

Its tough to compare the EMP to something like the Sig P365 XL.

The sig is a bit smaller, 7 ounces lighter, has a flush mag capacity with 3 more rounds, and costs $400 (about 40%) less.
Add in the additional training overhead of carrying a gun with a manual safety and its a no brainer.

Please do realize that I love a fine 1911. But my carry guns are tools. Like a shovel. Its pure function over form.

Don

Please realize this as someone who loves the 1911 platform and has other than the 1911 only owned Glocks for years.

Its tough to compare the EMP to something like the Sig P365 XL.

The sig is a bit smaller, 7 ounces lighter, has a flush mag capacity with 3 more rounds, and costs $400 (about 40%) less.
Add in the additional training overhead of carrying a gun with a manual safety and its a no brainer.

Please do realize that I love a fine 1911. But my carry guns are tools. Like a shovel. Its pure function over form.

Don
The 1911 for all intents and purposes is a range/competition toy in 2020. People can carry them, just like they can carry a 22 or a black powder revolver ( [laugh] ), but they are outdated at this point.

Back
Top Bottom