• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Split cases and a slam fire, Corbon ammo

Swift River Rob

NES Member
I have been an avid recreational shooter for over 50 years. I fire approximately 15,000 rounds down range a year, .233, 9mm, 38 special and .22 long rifles. Yesterday, Sunday October 20, I experience my first slam fire. I shoot in CMP matches and clinics at the clubs in my area. I also shoot in the IDPA.

Sunday I shot at a CMP clinic, a fun social event, at one of the local clubs. I used my Bushmaster DCM-XR and Corbon .223 ammo purchased from an out of state dealer (I'm not telling!!!). The ammo came in a box, white, containing 140 rounds, marked .223 Remington, 55 gr, FMJ , velocity 3000 fps, 1099 ft/lbs. Bar code # was 57750 22355. When I received the ammo I was surprised to see it was loaded on Winchester brass.

During the first stage of the CMP clinic the course of fire is 20 rounds off hand, load each round individually, safety on. On shoot 12, I inserted a cartridge, muzzle down range, placed the rifle against my shoulder and released the bolt, safety on, and the rifle discharged. Unnerving!! When I policed up my brass I observed two things of interest. I found one spent casing with a barely perceptible strike on the primer. I am assuming that was the slam fire. Most of the spent ammo had split cases at the shoulder area. The ammo was accurate, on the slow fire prone I shot a 190- 3X out of a possible 200, not bad for an old guy.

I had used the bushmaster the week before in a match at another club, and shot Fiocchi 62gr. FMJ with out incident. This is the first time I have used Corbon ammo. I have never observed a split case from the bushmaster before. I believe the problem was with the ammo, not the rifle.

High primer is my guess. Glad nothing's broken/hurt.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

I had this happen to me about 15 years ago at Camp Perry. Scared the crap out of me and put a big friggin divot in the sod about 10 feet in front of me. Someone was watching me as it happened and they confirmed that I did not touch the trigger.

It could be a couple of things. The trigger could be out of adjustment, causing it to let itself off the sear from the jarring of letting the bolt fly, or it could be a primer issue.

B

Surprises happen, this is why we have all those safety rules!

Glad no "problems" occurred (No blood, no problem you know!

As for the split cases: my dad told a story about shooting @1000 yards at Camp Curtis Guild, before WWII. One day, the ammo was pre WWI, and all had split necks. Each bullet had to be removed from the case, placed in the chamber's throat, and the case inserted (Keeping the muzzle up, so as not to lose any powder). He shot his best score ever at that distance, that day!

Back
Top Bottom