sporting (bolt) 5.56?

Since .223 Remington rifles shouldn't use 5.56 ammo, are there any sporting rifles chambered for the 5.56? I don't see anything in the Ruger or Remington catalogs.
Thanks,
Bill
ps: this is neither an opinion nor editorial on black rifles...but a question about cheap shooting[smile].

You can make one easily by running a 5.56 NATO or 5.56 Wylde piloted chamber reamer in your rifle. Use a good quality cutting oil while reaming and flush thoroughly.

You can make one easily by running a 5.56 NATO or 5.56 Wylde piloted chamber reamer in your rifle. Use a good quality cutting oil while reaming and flush thoroughly.

Isn't there a pressure issue here? It's not just that the .223 chamber is tighter. At least that was my understanding.

Isn't there a pressure issue here? It's not just that the .223 chamber is tighter. At least that was my understanding.
By opening up the throat of the 223 chamber to 5.56 dimensions the overpessure created by the hard contact between the bullet and the lands is avoided.

5.56 NATO is slightly higher in pressure than SAAMI spec 223 Remington but not enough to do any damage to what was a 223 Remington chamber as long as the chamber's throat has been lengthened to the proper length.

Back
Top Bottom