• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sportsmans Trading Company on 101-A is Going Out of Business Finally!!!!!

Sportsmans Trading Company in Amherst, NH on Route 101-A is finally, after all these years of shit service, going out of business!!!

Shooters Outpost will be replacing them. Yes I know some here don't like Shooters. I have a few minor gripes as well. But they are leaps and bound better than STC.

"Big Al' has dicked around far too many people to count, including a friend of mine (he sold a used Walther P99 as a new gun to a friend of mine years ago). This is a long time coming.

upload_2018-5-11_21-13-2.png

I thought I was passing a grave yard on my trips by.
My one and only stop was met with some old douche with a sour older douche that might have been a SO.

Can’t believe it took this long.

Be a dick somewhere else is fine by me.

Wow. I have driven past there thousands of times and had no idea they even existed.

My understanding from another local Gun dealer is Al is very sick and other people were helping run the shop. those folks really were not interested in running the place so we are where we are. I am only 4 miles away so i am hopeful to what Jim does with the place.

I drive by regularly but deliberately never stopped in since the reviews have been so uniformly horrible. Will be interesting to see what SO does with it.

I bought a Kahr pistol from him about 10-12 years ago.
He gave me a price at the time the pistol was ordered, which I paid then and there.

Then when the pistol came in, he said he had to charge me more for it ....

Then, I had issues with it on the first trip out.
I brought it back ......and he did not want to take care of it, and wanted me to deal with it directly with Kahr.
I had to talk him into his responsibility as the seller to take care of it with Kahr Arms.

Yep. That was my first-hand (WTF?) experience with him.

The above being said = I don't wish anything bad on anyone, especially illness. I hope he ends up being OK, and that the new place works out well for everyone.

(BTW - Kahr Arms did take care of the pistol and it is one of my regular summer time single-stack carry pistols)

Last edited:
Considering the (growing) size of SO in Hooksett I'm surprised they're interested in a location that small.

So is Shooter's just making a deal to move into the plaza after Spoatsmayns closes, or is Jim buying out the FFL and books?

It looks like they aren't going in the same storefront Al was in, but one of the other ones in the plaza- some of the shops were bigger.

Back in the some of the ammo shortages, you could go into Sportsmans Trading and find 22lr ammo he had bought at WalMart down the street (WalMart price sticker was still on it) marked up double at least.

When my son was young (around 2000 or 2001) I was looking to buy him a 22, preferably an old single shot for him to practice with (safety habits and all that). Worked in Nashua just off Amherst street, so I went into Al's, told him what I was looking for, he pulled out a catalog and tried to sell me a $500 target rifle- but of course he didn't have one there, he had one in his warehouse.... :)

Amherst, one of the most Blue Cities/Towns in the State, right up there with Peterborough. Must drive them snowflakes crazy having a gun store in town.
Pretty sure they have two, gunrunners101 is also in Amherst.

another fine establishment.........
rock river has a post on him.... i have been in however and he seemed nice enough. Doesn't sound like you can use your CR there however

I was in there earlier today. Guy was nice. Ish. Not super friendly but he did haggle with me on some stuff unlike other people.

So is Shooter's just making a deal to move into the plaza after Spoatsmayns closes, or is Jim buying out the FFL and books?

I'm going to bet its the former. Buying an existing gun store is usually a horribly bad idea, even if you have the money, or unless theres some kind of value to the brand/store/etc... and with Beer Coozy Express the value is likely
negative.

I was about to say, gone will be the stories of gnomish mysticism of used guns coming from his "warehouse" (which was probably used guns from gunsamerica or davidsons on a good day, lmao)

-Mike

Considering the (growing) size of SO in Hooksett I'm surprised they're interested in a location that small.

They'll probably get a unit bigger than sportsmans and make a killing, that part of NH has a "loud sucking noise" in it with regard to gun shops. You don't always need a huge store to move merch.... look at FS down in MA as a
graphic example... four seasons is in a f***ing shoebox and easily highest grossing shop in MA by exponential
amounts....

-Mike

Soon after moving to NH I went to MFL on Brown Ave MHT (before Jim owned it) to shop a pistol - it was dirty, dark and looked to be where MA thugs went to practice. I rang STC about a SIG 239 and the guy says he has one in the case. I drive over and he just sold it but can get another in a week from SIG, but it would be at a higher cost since they had a price increase. I paid in full. Weeks later he calls and said it was in but the cost was even more as they were in high demand and SIG had another price increase. I pick it up and he sells me 4 boxes of UMC at $5 over what I later found everywhere else. He says SIG wasn’t putting 2 mags in the box anymore but he had one he could sell me.

Yeah. If you can’t rip off a new gun buyer who can you rip off?

Gunrunners is a joke. SO will bury them.

Didn't think of that. Bob is a nice guy and we've never had any problems there. But even now there is no way he can compete with the buying power of a big store. Having one close by won't be good for his business.

Didn't think of that. Bob is a nice guy and we've never had any problems there. But even now there is no way he can compete with the buying power of a big store. Having one close by won't be good for his business.
Perhaps. I hope the two can coexist by offering different merchandise and a different experience, much like Riley's and SO in Hooksett. I've bought a few things from Bob, and have always had a positive feeling about him and his shop. Would be a shame if he was unable to adapt.

Soon after moving to NH I went to MFL on Brown Ave MHT (before Jim owned it) to shop a pistol - it was dirty, dark and looked to be where MA thugs went to practice. I rang STC about a SIG 239 and the guy says he has one in the case. I drive over and he just sold it but can get another in a week from SIG, but it would be at a higher cost since they had a price increase. I paid in full. Weeks later he calls and said it was in but the cost was even more as they were in high demand and SIG had another price increase. I pick it up and he sells me 4 boxes of UMC at $5 over what I later found everywhere else. He says SIG wasn’t putting 2 mags in the box anymore but he had one he could sell me.

Yeah. If you can’t rip off a new gun buyer who can you rip off?
Unreal

The way the announcement is written it’s hard to tell if they’ll be in the same exact spot or just the same plaza. Maybe a bigger store, just a guess.

They were pretty clear: same plaza but not same spot. Good news for us no matter how you read it though.

Back
Top Bottom