Spotting scope stands

Realtor MA

NES Life Member
NES Member
Looking for ideas for a fairly portable spotting scope stand. I normally use it on the bench. Ideally I can stuff it into my shooting backpack. I was using a tripod but just got a slightly larger scope and would like to have something a little more solid. In reality the tripod offers enough support but it takes a little finesse to get it to the right spot. I feel like I've seen some stands that would be easier to dial in. As I peruse the internet there is a bipod stand at creedmoresports.com that looks like it might work. Just can't tell how bulky it is. What say ye?

000346452815_04895247.jpg

Bosch available at Lowes $ 49.98 I use one for my spotting scope and chronograph

Looking for ideas for a fairly portable spotting scope stand. I normally use it on the bench. Ideally I can stuff it into my shooting backpack. I was using a tripod but just got a slightly larger scope and would like to have something a little more solid. In reality the tripod offers enough support but it takes a little finesse to get it to the right spot. I feel like I've seen some stands that would be easier to dial in. As I peruse the internet there is a bipod stand at creedmoresports.com that looks like it might work. Just can't tell how bulky it is. What say ye?
If you are looking for something to use on a bench, I use one of these for my spotting scope when bench rest shooting:
It has a load capacity of 11 lbs which is enough for my scope. On sale for $85.

There are many tabletop tripods available from $10 to $1,168. I doubt if you need the $1,168 one and the $10 ones can’t handle a spotting scope.

I’m in the market as well. I ordered one from Amazon with great reviews it’s small and only a few inches high which is great for bench shooting but it wobbles like crazy when I try to attach my phone Mount to it. I’d like a more solid platform so I can just look at my phone and be able to take pictures that aren’t blurry.

Here's a really solid tripod: Tripods

Probably overkill (and overpriced) if your use is limited to the shooting range. However, it seems to be mentioned in any review of quality tripods for hunting trips.

Here's a really solid tripod: Tripods

Probably overkill (and overpriced) if your use is limited to the shooting range. However, it seems to be mentioned in any review of quality tripods for hunting trips.
absolutely an overkill.
it is not something you will carry - you do not need carbon there.
this will do:
View: https://www.amazon.com/Concept-Lightweight-Compact-Aluminum-Panorama/dp/B015CGRREI
or amazon basic will do
View: https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basics-Pistol-Camera-Travel/dp/B01LQX0P8Q

it needs to have solid legs and base - not the $40 plastic crapus.
also, it is way better to position spotting scope on the ground on the side of the bench, so if you sit on the left side you just bend to the left and look throw it.
on the table it is not working.

Have made these for years, for myself & many ‘old’ guys at the range, works slick on a bench top. Simple, use existing sp-scope top mount & affix to a length of pipe & add a C-clamp. I added the locking knob for swiveling ease. Total parts co$t maybe $12 if you don’t have a collection of oddball parts lying around.

And maybe another type of those ‘super/aggressive’ clamps would work better for you than a C-clamp, for your bench and/or field use?

82726913-919C-45CD-A3AB-158C3867BD61.jpeg

Check with Champions Choice or CreedMoor Sports. They have scope stands for shooting.

The Bipod is a copy of the old Freeland Scope stand. It folds up nicely.

Last edited:
Tripods are like scopes. The more you spend the better the quality. You will spend 400 bucks or so for a good tripod and a solid head. I almost puked when I pulled the trigger on one but as much as I hate to admit it, it was worth every penny. Problem is now I need another one for scoping with my binos.

000346452815_04895247.jpg

Bosch available at Lowes $ 49.98 I use one for my spotting scope and chronograph
Be careful, these tend to be sh*t. They are not so easy to adjust, the scope moves, they don't feel very secure. In my opinion, a waste of money.

Instead, use what they use in competiton. Something like this: Crosman Competition Spotting Scope Stand CCSSS Included Accessories: Carrying Case, 32% Off

They sell smaller ones for the bench.

More examples:

And ...

images (17).jpeg

I have a vortex pro GT tripod and am very happy with it. However there’s nothing special about it and I’m sure there are finer options out there. As mentioned above do not skimp on a tripod or whatever mounting system is used. Buy once cry once.

the pole based mounts are also nice. my preference is tripod but that’s mostly because it’s so portable and can be setup on any terrain.

I have a huge 🍆 for this, but can’t bring myself to drop the coin on it… you buy it, then tell me how awesome it is so I’m guilted into buying it 😎

Solid at it’s minimum while set next to me at the range. Haven’t used it at it’s max 20”.

I find the pole stand to be great for both positional and bench , I can often get it in place on the ground near the bench to be close enough to use well, or just use one pole section on the bench top.
Yup. That's why everybody "in the know" uses them. Once in a while somebody will show up at a match with a big tripod, but once they see a pole-stand, they'll usually have one next time you see them. I've seen home-made pole stands made out of galvanized pipe and fittings that are light-years ahead of camera tripods.

I have a huge 🍆 for this, but can’t bring myself to drop the coin on it… you buy it, then tell me how awesome it is so I’m guilted into buying it 😎

the K&F concept thing i posted is a manfrotto knock-off and is more than adequate in aluminium for $70-$80, it is a copy of $300 manfrottos. any tripod that can support 15+ lbs will do just fine holding a spotting scope.
Amazon product ASIN B015CGRREIView: https://www.amazon.com/Concept-Lightweight-Compact-Aluminum-Panorama/dp/B015CGRREI/ref=psdc_499310_t2_B0772WLSHZ

Don’t even mess with a tripod unless you already have one.

If you’re gonna spend money, put it towards a purpose built stand, either commercially available or DIY built.
This is the lesson I've taken from mine. I have a nice Manfrotto. I hate using it at the range, and it's pretty inappropriate for hunting due to its weight. It's fine for stargazing and bird watching, so I'll keep it for other uses, but really want a pole stand for shooting activities.

The pole mounts are new to me. Being heavily into photography, I’ve always repurposed my photo tripods for my spotting scopes. The table top one I use for bench rest doesn’t take up much room (less than a square foot), but the pole mount would make it easier to get the spotting scope right next to the rifle scope. Creedmoor has them on sale for the holidays. Looks like I’ll be getting the bench mount one. I will say that if you want a really heavy duty full size tripod, the one I use for my 4x5 view camera can’t be beat (though with the head it’s a tad over $1,300).

The pole mounts are new to me. Being heavily into photography, I’ve always repurposed my photo tripods for my spotting scopes. The table top one I use for bench rest doesn’t take up much room (less than a square foot), but the pole mount would make it easier to get the spotting scope right next to the rifle scope. Creedmoor has them on sale for the holidays. Looks like I’ll be getting the bench mount one. I will say that if you want a really heavy duty full size tripod, the one I use for my 4x5 view camera can’t be beat (though with the head it’s a tad over $1,300).
do you run film in that thing or do they have some sort of a digital back nowadays. I remember we used to have a polaroid back so we could check lighting before using film.

Yup. That's why everybody "in the know" uses them. Once in a while somebody will show up at a match with a big tripod, but once they see a pole-stand, they'll usually have one next time you see them. I've seen home-made pole stands made out of galvanized pipe and fittings that are light-years ahead of camera tripods.
I will add
Once I got the polecat I said to myself
“Why did you wait so long”
I do have a few small inexpensive scopes on tri pods I keep in the truck just so I dont have to lug the full size stuff around. Often my range trips are random and on the fly so the small inexpensive stuff gets used for connivence

do you run film in that thing or do they have some sort of a digital back nowadays. I remember we used to have a polaroid back so we could check lighting before using film.
I still run film, B&W since I do my own developing and the color process is a pita. I have a bunch of film in my freezer, since I have no idea when they are going to stop producing it. LargeSense just launched (July, 2021) the first full-size digital back for 4X5 view cameras for $26,000. It’s a monochrome sensor, i.e. only good for black and white. For color your best bet is a Hasselblad H6D-100c Digital Back, which you can use with a special mount on a 4X5. It’s close to a full 6X4.5 medium format (the sensor is 53.4X40.0 mm). The only reason for running it on your view camera is to take advantage of the camera’s rise and fall, shift, tilt and swing movements (really useful in architectural shoots). The back runs $26,000 and the special mounts go for about $760. Needless to say I’m sticking with B&W film for my view camera. For color I just run Canon EOS digital. At this point the image from a good digital camera is almost indistinguishable from film until you enlarge it to a ridiculous degree. However, in black and white a 4X5 or 8X10 contact print is still, to my eyes, unbeatable.

I still have an “instant film” back, but no one is making 4X5 instant film anymore (though you can still find some on e-bay), and I’ve used up my supply (no such thing as reloading for instant film). So it does make it more challenging when shooting out in the field since you don’t really know what you’ve got until you get home and develop it. Though with the new multifunction light meters, it is a bit easier to get the exposure correct. You still have to rely on the ground glass back for your composition.

I still run film, B&W since I do my own developing and the color process is a pita. I have a bunch of film in my freezer, since I have no idea when they are going to stop producing it. LargeSense just launched (July, 2021) the first full-size digital back for 4X5 view cameras for $26,000. It’s a monochrome sensor, i.e. only good for black and white. For color your best bet is a Hasselblad H6D-100c Digital Back, which you can use with a special mount on a 4X5. It’s close to a full 6X4.5 medium format (the sensor is 53.4X40.0 mm). The only reason for running it on your view camera is to take advantage of the camera’s rise and fall, shift, tilt and swing movements (really useful in architectural shoots). The back runs $26,000 and the special mounts go for about $760. Needless to say I’m sticking with B&W film for my view camera. For color I just run Canon EOS digital. At this point the image from a good digital camera is almost indistinguishable from film until you enlarge it to a ridiculous degree. However, in black and white a 4X5 or 8X10 contact print is still, to my eyes, unbeatable.

I still have an “instant film” back, but no one is making 4X5 instant film anymore (though you can still find some on e-bay), and I’ve used up my supply (no such thing as reloading for instant film). So it does make it more challenging when shooting out in the field since you don’t really know what you’ve got until you get home and develop it. Though with the new multifunction light meters, it is a bit easier to get the exposure correct. You still have to rely on the ground glass back for your composition.
Awesome. I probably still have a camera or 2 tucked away. I know I have an old pressman in 4x5. I have an 8x10 view camera somewhere too.

Just received my new Creedmoor 1” Bench Mount. Very well made, looks as good as the high end photo tripods. Well worth the $200. Ordered mine too early to get their free shipping, but you can use code SHOOTMORE for free shipping good 11/26/2021 to 1/1/2022 and save the $12.90 shipping cost. Can’t wait to try it out.

Just received my new Creedmoor 1” Bench Mount. Very well made, looks as good as the high end photo tripods. Well worth the $200. Ordered mine too early to get their free shipping, but you can use code SHOOTMORE for free shipping good 11/26/2021 to 1/1/2022 and save the $12.90 shipping cost. Can’t wait to try it out.
I ordered one last week. I went with 3/4" because I have a 60mm scope and they say it's fine.

Back
Top Bottom