Spring Turkey 2020

Got my first turkey today after the rains let up. Could have doubled up, but didn’t want the season to end on my first day out. Best part for me was being able to use my grandfather's shotgun while he's still with us and relaying the pictures and info to him.

IMG_7932.JPG
84EE34D1-35C2-471D-A657-0C16CB6CA43C.JPG
IMG_7916.JPG

Last edited:
Got my first turkey today after the rains let up. Could have doubled up, but didn’t want the season to end on my first day out. Best part for me was being able to use my grandfather's shotgun while he's still with us and relaying the pictures and info to him.

Very nice! Congratulations!

Had two groups of Tom's answering my call at sunup. Both groups moved off after 30 minutes.

The we had two hens in the field in front of us for over two hours. One hen cut and yelped once and I thought she may do the calling for me but she went back to feeding again and that's all they were interested in.

Saw two does at sunup. All in all a nice morning.

Tagged out for the spring season!

Had a line of two toms and a few jakes cutting across the bottom of the field I was in, probably 75 yards below me. The entire field is on a slope. They didn’t respond to calling or the decoy I had out. Played it patient and sure enough they came back across the field about an hour and a half later, following the same path. I waited until they were at the bottom of the hill out of sight and got out of my blind. Crept to the edge of the hill and put a bead on #2 in line. The first and biggest tom was already over the stone wall and into the woods. Not complaining, as this guy had 5/8” spurs and a 8” beard.

A798B993-9DE3-45C2-B4D1-029DBBA6FDD6.jpeg

Close today but no cigar. He peeked up over a rise at 60 yards, fanned his tail at decoys and walked away. Only saw his head and top of fan as he was in a low spot....I think he saw me moving when he periscoped me....

Hi everyone, this is probably bad timing for me with the whole covid situation but Im just going to put it out there. Im trying to learn how to turkey hunt and would love to tag along on one of your hunts. Im happy to just carry your gear and sit quietly while I watch and learn. If you would be at all willing to let me shadow you please send me a message and we can work out the details. I live in the Arlington area and am happy to drive an hour or so.

Went out yesterday (5/15) on WMA land, but didn't get a Turkey. I did have a Coyote come in and take a nap in front of me about 50 yards away though, what made it even better was to have a Doe come in about 10 yards behind me over my shoulder. Was a treat to watch the Doe and Coyote at the same time. Hell, I yelped for a good half hour and the Coyote just kept looking at me puzzled, he eventually wandered off when I was looking in a different direction. Must have finally caught me moving.

After all that, I changed up my location but came across a couple of trail runners ("Kate, I don't think that's a turkey in their!"), turned and headed in a different direction to come across a friendly dog that was off leash running through the woods. Figured it wasn't a safe spot anymore so I headed home. Nothing to put in the freezer but it was was still an amazing time watching the Coyote and Doe and with every outing I feel like I learn something new.

What's sad is that I'm also learning I might just have to give up on Northeast Mass Public Lands though and start heading up to New Hampshire or Maine.

1589544160310.png1589543882439.png

Dang y'all. Super jealous over here. Great job everyone!
Maybe some day when my little ones aren't a complete shitshow to get up/diaper change/ fed/ settled in the mornings I will get back out there and try for turkey again. Then some day after that I can start taking them with me to hunt/ fish! ;)

Great morning. 21.1 pounds. This little guy did not make a peep. I saw a hen and gave her a cluck. She came looking for me and to my surprise had her boyfriend in tow. She is single now. Thirty foot shot. I'd call it a close encounter of the best kind :)

Very nice! Congratulations!

Maybe some day when my little ones aren't a complete shitshow to get up/diaper change/ fed/ settled in the mornings I will get back out there and try for turkey again. Then some day after that I can start taking them with me to hunt/ fish! ;)
That day will come!

I got 3 kids under 5 and yesterday will probably be my only day out this spring. Next year I'm petitioning "The Boss" to give me 3 days up in NH/ME for Turkey and another 3 days for Deer. We'll see what happens!

I got 3 kids under 5 and yesterday will probably be my only day out this spring. Next year I'm petitioning "The Boss" to give me 3 days up in NH/ME for Turkey and another 3 days for Deer. We'll see what happens!

Deer is another story. Wife knows I take the 1st week of shotgun off every year and then every Saturday 'til new years eve, is reserved for deer hunting with my buddies. Then there's competition shooting, fishing, hiking alone etc... Gotta pick my battles and turkey hunting was never a real serious hobby for me so I don't wanna push it. Plus I actually do want to spend time with my family! [laugh]

Same here. Thankfully I was able to get out ALOT for deer season so that paid off in spades. No turkey season for me though.

Broke my ten year slump this morning! 😄

Up at 3:45, decoys set at 4:40. Got lucky and set up at the same end of the pasture where they were roosted in the oaks up on ridge....

3-4 Toms sounding off at 5:00. Hen flew down into set at 5:05....I’m thinking “this is looking good...”. 5:15 all hell breaks loose. Birds dropping off ridge landing right in front of me.....First bright red head I see is heading toward decoys to challenge - Wham...3” mag at 30 yds....I go out to grab flopping bird and two more, one the big boss Tom fly down and hit the ground running right in front of me at 10-15 yds....I almost doubled but was so surprised I couldn’t get my gun on the big one....It was pretty damn exciting. Only my 3rd turkey in many years of trying.....

15lb jake. He felt a lot bigger carrying him 3/4 mile back to truck..!

Grilled turkey breast for dinner:

F60C30F3-F2F1-4E40-9174-C78EF2EF63C8.jpegBF37961F-479E-4868-B32D-BEBAB7E766AE.jpeg6BEC3FE7-0032-43B1-B7B2-3724B0EF2404.jpeg

Went out with my youngest son today. Nothing early on, but as we were driving around we saw a couple in a field. Snuck into the forest to get them on the other side and started calling.

Then a monster Tom comes in; biggest and nastiest turkey I have ever seen, the beard was so long that it touched the ground. In tow he has a Jake.

But then the Tom sees us! Wow, what a surprise, instead of getting laid he is getting killed!

And the Tom takes off like a rocket and is gone! The young stupid Jake however doesn't know what to do... and bang and he gets shot in the face!

IMG_89410.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom