springfield 1911A1 light wieght

I was wonting to know if anyone has had any real expeariance with a light wieght 1911. i have a new in the box unfired springfield 1911A1 light weight that I was going to send to wilson combat to get a full work up but i am concerned that I will be wasting my time. I am a steel gun guy and i though i was getting a steel 1911 but ended up with this light weight springer. I dont know if i should send it to wilson or sell the thing and get a steel gun. So how much less of a gun is a aluminum 1911 gun compaired to a steel gun. if the frame life is between 12 and 15 thousand rounds then thats ok but if its less than that it sucks. who out there has the truth about the light wieght 1911. I know wilson mkes their own light wieght guns but d they work on light wieght guns from other gun makers. fill me in please with the facts.

IMHO, you have a keeper. Is it a compact, commander, or full size? What kind of work up did you want to have done to it? What is your end result going to be, primary carry, range, HD?

So how much less of a gun is a aluminum 1911 gun compaired to a steel gun. if the frame life is between 12 and 15 thousand rounds then thats ok but if its less than that it sucks. who out there has the truth about the light wieght 1911. .

There have been several holy wars on this subject at both 1911 forums.
http://forum.m1911.org/forums.php
http://forums.1911forum.com/
Looks like the common concern about longevity of light weight 1911 frames stems from the early Colt's attempts at the light weight 1911, and technology has significantly improved since then. I've heard of a guy who was torturing his modern light weight 1911 (Kimber?) but gave up after ~30k rounds.

Beltfeed,

I'd make my decision based on what I intended to do with it.

My two favorite 1911s are a 5" Les Baer Custom Premier II that is my range/competition gun. Its all steel and is heavy like all gov't model 1911s are. This gun gets about 5000 rounds /year.
(There is a guy on one of the 1911 forums with over 40,000 rounds through his Baer

My other favorite is a Nighthawk Custom lightweight Talon II bobtail. I owned the same gun with a steel frame but didn't really carry it because I found it to be too heavy.
I really like the lightweight 1911s as carry guns. The Nighthawk gets about 600 rounds/yr.

So what do you plan to do with it. If it is going to be carried, I'd pick aluminum. If it was going to be a range gun, I'd pick steel. If its a do it all gun that will be used for both, I'd pick aluminum.
I don't feel the Al gun recoils all that much more, and remember, its a Springfield. If you ever wear out the frame, they'll replace it for nothing.

https://www.springfieldwarranty.com/StartWarranty.asp

Don

p.s. I got a very nice japanese made scope for free when I purchased a M1A several years ago. After a fair amount of use on a deer rifle, I was having some very minor problems with it. I was very surprised when they told me that it was warranted for life. I haven't yet sent it in, but when I am ready they will even pay for me to ship it back to them.

Back
Top Bottom