Springfield Hellcat

Cz p10 S is 1.26 wide not sure if .26 is much of a difference once you start putting it in a holster etc

I wonder if there will be a MA version of the Hellcat. It has piqued my interest.

If the P365 is any indication of time, you're looking at maybe a 2021 roster addition. I'd probably look for a free state instead, but then again, I'm typically not very patient and kind of a fool with my money, so I'm not a good person to ask.

I personally care because my town (Cambridge) is full of people who would act like it was an active shooter incident if they figured out I was carrying (And yes...I want to move somewhere else. Wasn't exactly my first choice to live here). I get that in most parts of the state, people are just too busy to care, but here, people are nosy and fragile. It was tough enough to get an unrestricted LTC here, so while I'm enduring the surroundings, I don't want to have any encounters where I would have to explain myself to a less than sympathetic officer who would rather take away my license than deal with some crazed moonbat who thinks I'm threatening. And before someone mentions that its my right as a lawfully licensed person in this city/state, I'd just put it out there that while that's true, that right comes with a lot of headache and potential legal expenses here that I'd sooner just avoid by not being conspicuous.

I work in Cambridge. Fragile is a good starting point for describing some of the folks. Bless your heart for being able to live here.

I work in Cambridge. Fragile is a good starting point for describing some of the folks. Bless your heart for being able to live here.

lol. Ended up here through my last girlfriend. We moved here together, then she splits a year later. I'm at a point in life where I'm looking to buy some land instead of condo life, but the perfect combination hasn't popped up yet for me at my price bracket, so I'm stuck here for now. I actually like Cambridge, just not all the residents and the city agencies.

lol. Ended up here through my last girlfriend. We moved here together, then she splits a year later. I'm at a point in life where I'm looking to buy some land instead of condo life, but the perfect combination hasn't popped up yet for me at my price bracket, so I'm stuck here for now. I actually like Cambridge, just not all the residents and the city agencies.

Aside from getting roped in to moving to the city, it sounds like you made out by getting rid of her. In all honesty, the city itself isn't horrible. The residents are a special breed and the cops, well, I've seen them light up pedestrians and bicyclists with the blues and stop them over some arbitrary BS. The local government is mostly brain dead, as well. Congrats on even being able to acquire an un-restricted LTC here. That's a unicorn in Cambridge.

Aside from getting roped in to moving to the city, it sounds like you made out by getting rid of her. In all honesty, the city itself isn't horrible. The residents are a special breed and the cops, well, I've seen them light up pedestrians and bicyclists with the blues and stop them over some arbitrary BS. The local government is mostly brain dead, as well. Congrats on even being able to acquire an un-restricted LTC here. That's a unicorn in Cambridge.

I got "pulled over" on my bike the first week there. "Where are the lights on your bike?" the cop asked...as if the first thing people do when they move is read through dozens of pages of municipal code. It was like 7pm in the summer, meaning it wasn't even dark yet, but from what I understand, it is municipal code or law or whatever to have lights on bikes after Xpm. Just one of many, many unique issues I take with the way local government handles things around here as opposed to even Boston.

Seems like basically a Canik G26. A brick compared to the Hellcat.

just handled one at a show out here in Utah. You are correct. Bulkier than I was expecting, for sure. Then again, I didn’t love the grip ethos on the Hellcat, either. Think the 43x will be where I end up.

So I got a hellcat a couple weeks back and finally got down to the range to shoot it. Malfunctions inside the first 150 rounds. Very disappointing. Both magazines (11 and 13rd) were locking the slide back with rounds still left in the mag. Put it away and put the rest of my ammo through my 43 without issue. Too bad, I was really excited for this one. Anyone else experience this?

So I got a hellcat a couple weeks back and finally got down to the range to shoot it. Malfunctions inside the first 150 rounds. Very disappointing. Both magazines (11 and 13rd) were locking the slide back with rounds still left in the mag. Put it away and put the rest of my ammo through my 43 without issue. Too bad, I was really excited for this one. Anyone else experience this?

Wow. Sorry to hear that. I've been reading extensively into reviews of the Hellcat wondering if it might be better than the P365 or if it would be lateral move. Haven't heard of this issue yet. Did you try shooting it with your other hand to ensure it isn't your grip riding the slide lock on a new gun? The only issue that I read about that came up a few times was extractor problems. Either ammo pickiness for proper extraction or one instance of the extractor itself breaking.

Wow. Sorry to hear that. I've been reading extensively into reviews of the Hellcat wondering if it might be better than the P365 or if it would be lateral move. Haven't heard of this issue yet. Did you try shooting it with your other hand to ensure it isn't your grip riding the slide lock on a new gun? The only issue that I read about that came up a few times was extractor problems. Either ammo pickiness for proper extraction or one instance of the extractor itself breaking.

I didn't. I'd be hard pressed to believe that was the issue only because I've never had that happen on any sub or micro compact handgun I've shot. I've shot shields, 365, 43, 26, LCP 2 none of which had that issue. All that said I will have to experiment with that next time.

I would contact support at Springfield. I have to be closing in on 1000 rounds and I don’t think I’ve had a single feeding issue.

I would contact support at Springfield. I have to be closing in on 1000 rounds and I don’t think I’ve had a single feeding issue.

I will give it one more range trip and then weigh options. I suppose I could definitely contact them, and probably will. Yeah, it was disappointing for sure considering the hype and general excellent reviews on the Hellcat. I wanted to love it and now I'm doubting it. On a side note both mags, especially the 13 rounder, the final round is impossible to get in. And I've had tough mags before but this is on an entirely different level. I'm talking INSANE. The 11 round mag seemed to "break in" a little but the 13 rounder requires 2 hands and some sore fingers. Kind of ridiculous and I'm not a weak person by any means.

I will give it one more range trip and then weigh options. I suppose I could definitely contact them, and probably will. Yeah, it was disappointing for sure considering the hype and general excellent reviews on the Hellcat. I wanted to love it and now I'm doubting it. On a side note both mags, especially the 13 rounder, the final round is impossible to get in. And I've had tough mags before but this is on an entirely different level. I'm talking INSANE. The 11 round mag seemed to "break in" a little but the 13 rounder requires 2 hands and some sore fingers. Kind of ridiculous and I'm not a weak person by any means.

That’s funny, I have accepted they are 10 and 12 round mags. I have memories of another pistol that was hard to get the last round in, maybe my P9. It’s nothing like that 13 round in the Hellcat, it’s ridiculous.

I would also say give it a good cleaning, I was shooting good ammo and it does seem to be on the dirty side as guns go. My only real complaint, although I expected it is the trigger. It’s not the smoothest and the break is not the crispest. I’m figuring Apex or another maker will launch one at some point.

That’s funny, I have accepted they are 10 and 12 round mags. I have memories of another pistol that was hard to get the last round in, maybe my P9. It’s nothing like that 13 round in the Hellcat, it’s ridiculous.

I would also say give it a good cleaning, I was shooting good ammo and it does seem to be on the dirty side as guns go. My only real complaint, although I expected it is the trigger. It’s not the smoothest and the break is not the crispest. I’m figuring Apex or another maker will launch one at some point.
For me, I can't accept that given the pistol is almost entirely riding on the round count. If I stick with 10+1 in the hellcat I might as well stick with the 365. I shouldn't have to compromise, make shit that works like it says it does, especially for $550. That's how I look at it anyway.

Not all of us have the body frame size to hide larger guns in the summer, and given that some of us are burdened with living in MA, we have to hide them. I'm short and skinny. I have issues concealing even a G19 (although this time of year it is no problem). Can't change my height and my weight is stable, so subcompact or nothing in the summer. Wouldn't you want to carry at least something?

That being said, if a G19 disappeared on me in just jeans and t shirt, then I don't think I'd carry a subcompact. I like the full grip (at least for me) a G19 affords.
My dad always said dress to carry dont try to carry with your dress.
Sport jackets cover a lot. Then theres the S W hammerless air weight snubby for those pocket carry days.
Sometimes I where a vest and stuff my walther model 9 in the pocket and pretend im a old west gambler.

Both magazines (11 and 13rd) were locking the slide back with rounds still left in the mag.

Something is pushing up on the slide lock or otherwise causing it to lift. If it’s not the slide lock itself, the spring, or the magazine, then it’s your finger. Shoot it ensuring your finger is nowhere near it. If it still happens, you do have an issue. If not, shoot it with your normal grip and see.

There’s a good chance there is no mechanical issue whatsoever and the only issue is the compatibility with your grip.

Something is pushing up on the slide lock or otherwise causing it to lift. If it’s not the slide lock itself, the spring, or the magazine, then it’s your finger. Shoot it ensuring your finger is nowhere near it. If it still happens, you do have an issue. If not, shoot it with your normal grip and see.

There’s a good chance there is no mechanical issue whatsoever and the only issue is the compatibility with your grip.

Now that I'm thinking about this, you're right. It has to be me. I figured since I shoot other micros with no issue it can't be me but really there's no way it couldnt be. Interesting. I'm still reletively new to all of this (only been a gun owner/shooting for about a year and a half) so forgive my ignorance haha. Appreciate the feedback!

My dad always said dress to carry dont try to carry with your dress.
Sport jackets cover a lot. Then theres the S W hammerless air weight snubby for those pocket carry days.
Sometimes I where a vest and stuff my walther model 9 in the pocket and pretend im a old west gambler.

The whole point of subcompacts and the reason for my statement you quoted is so that one does not have to change their appearance just to conceal it. I can pull off a Shield or P365 every day no matter what I wear. G19 size compact is a bit trickier, requiring a sweatshirt or jacket given my skinny frame. So right now, the subcompacts are my EDC for spring/summer and G19 for fall/winter.

Back
Top Bottom