Springfield Police & Hampden County Sheriff’s Department to Offer Gun Buy-Back.

ggfcpa

NES Member
The Springfield Police Department is partnering with the Hampden County Sheriff’s Department and Springfield City Councilors Melvin Edwards and Jesse Lederman on a gun buyback program.

On Saturday September 18th from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. anyone who brings a firearm to the Raymond M. Sullivan Safety Complex located at 1212 Carew Street will receive a Big Y gift card for each gun turned in; no questions asked.

“Any gun that’s not properly taken care of that we can take off the street is a win for us. The types of firearms we receive in these events are typically ones that are at high risk of being stolen or stored improperly. I want to thank Mayor Sarno, Sherriff Cocchi and Councilors Edwards & Lederman for partnering with us on this program, said Springfield Police Commissioner Cheryl Clapprood.”
“After a short lull during the start of the COVID-19 Pandemic, gun violence began to spike in our county. This is why gun buy-back programs are important,” said Hampden County Sheriff Nick Cocchi. “We have no questions to ask anyone who participates – we are here to collect firearms and lessen the gun violence around us. The goal is to continue to make our community a safe place to live, work and play.”

Mayor Domenic J. Sarno states, “I want to thank Sheriff Nick Cocchi, Police Commissioner Cheryl Clapprood and their respective teams for coordinating this great initiative. Any endeavor that helps take guns off our streets and that helps an individual or family remove an unwanted firearm they may have come into possession with, such as inheriting one from a loved one who may have passed, is great and should be commended. I want to also acknowledge and thank City Councilors Melvin Edwards and Jesse Lederman for their continued support of this gun buyback program.
The Springfield Police Department’s Firearms Investigation Unit will process the firearms. They will then be turned over to Gunbusters of New England for destruction.

Never heard of these douche bags, Gunbusters of New England.

I wonder who's project that is

n/m its on the website
is a retired police commander who, after retirement, held senior management positions within the firearms industry. (Beretta, Glock and SIG.) During that time he developed trade-in programs to assist agencies dispose of duty weapons plus their confiscated and surrendered firearms. He holds dual degrees in business administration and business management and is a graduate of the prestigious FBI National Academy. He recently served on the Firearms Committee of the International Association of Chiefs of Police.

What’s to stop me from trying to buy these out of the line? That’s not far from my location

Might have a difficult time finding a seller with an LTC/FID.

And the conspiracy side of me says that the PD will be watching carefully for any such activity.

What’s to stop me from trying to buy these out of the line? That’s not far from my location
Nothing at all you just go there and Look at everything that people bring. Something you like you make them an offer. And hope they have an LTC LOL

I knew Sheriff Nick Cocchi, back in 2007 when I went through his Tactical Response Academy, he was being prepped for a political role back then, everyone knew he was going to be the Sheriff, I wonder if he has his sites set on more politics

I knew Sheriff Nick Cocchi, back in 2007 when I went through his Tactical Response Academy, he was being prepped for a political role back then, everyone knew he was going to be the Sheriff, I wonder if he has his sites set on more politics
Hopefully he was more tactical back then, as big as he is I'd say his sights are set on a Big Mac.

I knew Sheriff Nick Cocchi, back in 2007 when I went through his Tactical Response Academy, he was being prepped for a political role back then, everyone knew he was going to be the Sheriff, I wonder if he has his sites set on more
Not sure I agree with this one. Everyone in the department knew Nick was not Ashes first choice as successor.

And the conspiracy side of me says that the PD will be watching carefully for any such activity.
The seller has an obligation to make sure the buyer is licensed, not the other way around. Can anyone confirm?

FFL's buy guns from unlicensed people all the time

the problem is the PoPo are extending some blanket immunity for the purposes of bringing the guns to their location

If some unlicensed person walks up and the FFL grabs them and offers them more money, in theory there is no immunity and the person with the gun could be charged with the usual litany of charges.... possession of a firearm without a FID or LTC, any large capacity feeding device charges they can tack on.... if they bring ammo there is possession of ammo without a FID/LTC..... you know the charges that never get prosecuted in the inner city courts when you are a P.O.C. or hoodrat

the problem is the PoPo are extending some blanket immunity for the purposes of bringing the guns to their location
The last time we kicked this around (Acton, I bet),
someone revealed that the statute only provides amnesty
for surrendering one kind of gun. Handguns, I think.

If the police are claiming to extend blanket immunity for surrender of
other classes of guns, their mouth is writing checks that their ass can't cash -
the cops are in no position to tell prosecutors who they can and cannot
charge for crimes relating to those non-covered classes of guns.

Nothing in the law says the seller needs to be licensed, when I was a dealer the local PD refered an unlicensed person to me when he just wanted to get rid of the guns he had inherited several years earlier.
But it does expose the seller to some risk.

Trying to buy from people at the buyback would be risky in Spfld, u might end up buying a stolen gun, you'd have to be careful of the type of person, dare I say racial profiling might be necessary. Claprood is on a huge anti gun kick too so SPD is fired up to jam anyone up they can on anything gun related so you'd be playing with fire.

I might have to show up at this one. I’m all about community..
“No questions ask” I’m the one asking the questions around here

Back
Top Bottom