• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Springfield TRP 6” 10mm

I just ran the gun at TRP at the range. It is a tack driver and really absorbs the recoil.
Used about 150 rounds of Magtec ammo at around 1200 FPS.
It ran great up until the 7-8 rounds. Then repeatedly got Failure to Feed issues. I’ve heard this is a known issue. I plan on contacting Springfield tomorrow.
Anyone else have issues?

For the dis/reassembly does dawson precision make a tool less guide rod for them? I have one for my 45 trp full rail.

I just ran the gun at TRP at the range. It is a tack driver and really absorbs the recoil.
Used about 150 rounds of Magtec ammo at around 1200 FPS.
It ran great up until the 7-8 rounds. Then repeatedly got Failure to Feed issues. I’ve heard this is a known issue. I plan on contacting Springfield tomorrow.
Anyone else have issues?
Mine hated the magtec. The sig ammo worked better. I ended up selling it at FS.

The only ammo i had problems with was ppu . Running handloads and Underwood the gun runs fine . The only magtec ammo I've used has been .45acp and none of my guns seem to like it. No feeding or reliability problems but my groups really open up . Sorry your having problems

The only ammo i had problems with was ppu . Running handloads and Underwood the gun runs fine . The only magtec ammo I've used has been .45acp and none of my guns seem to like it. No feeding or reliability problems but my groups really open up . Sorry your having problems

Who carries underwood on the North shore?

I was getting a little paranoid reading about the problems some people were having with these guns so I took mine out and shot it . 50 rounds of reloads with a 180 grain bullet and bluedot powder ran perfect and are very accurate. Two mags of Underwoods 200 gr. range ammo also no issues. I had one box of ppu left over and even they shot okay except the slide didn't lock back on two mags. Maybe these guns require a breakin ?

i doubt you're having feed issues. it's almost certainly extractor tension or premature slide lock. next time it happens look at the slide stop and see if it's engaged to the slide. magazines for 10mm 1911 are critical. not all play nice. 10mm 1911 are problem children. welcome to club.

nobody carries underwood. just buy it from them in IL. get on their email list they do promotions free shipping or 10% off type stuff. please do not ask me if they ship to XYZ. the sig elite 10mm FMJ ammo is also appropriately loaded and decent value. cabelas and others stock it.

i doubt you're having feed issues. it's almost certainly extractor tension or premature slide lock. next time it happens look at the slide stop and see if it's engaged to the slide. magazines for 10mm 1911 are critical. not all play nice. 10mm 1911 are problem children. welcome to club.

nobody carries underwood. just buy it from them in IL. get on their email list they do promotions free shipping or 10% off type stuff. please do not ask me if they ship to XYZ. the sig elite 10mm FMJ ammo is also appropriately loaded and decent value. cabelas and others stock it.

I agree.
I think the extractor tension may be the culprit as it feeds fine the first five rounds (when the mag spring is under more pressure). My problem consistently happens in rounds 6-8. At this point the mag spring pressure is less and may have trouble pushing the bullet case past the extractor..
The bullet usually jams about halfway in battery and still under the extractor.

I agree.
I think the extractor tension may be the culprit as it feeds fine the first five rounds (when the mag spring is under more pressure). My problem consistently happens in rounds 6-8. At this point the mag spring pressure is less and may have trouble pushing the bullet case past the extractor..
The bullet usually jams about halfway in battery and still under the extractor.

could be extractor although still sounds like a slide stop issue. next time with live fire when you get the stoppage look at the slide stop. if it's engaged then the problem (and answer) is there. what mags are you running? i have resolved to using only tripp research mags they seem most consistent and highest quality. don't even get me started on the beloved wilson combat mags that are crap.

--

this gets back to my many posts about 10mm 1911's are almost never correctly sprung. manufacturers throw heavy recoil springs into the gun to try and solve the 10mm problem. it shortens slide cycling time which this can lead to cycling problems as you describe. not the answer. recoil spring does not slow down rearward slide movement. a better route

this is why I own only a single 10mm 1911 and have no plans on purchasing another. it took me forever to get this thing reliable and i'm not looking to adopt more problem children. it's unfortunate because i do find the 1911 to be a perfect platform for 10mm. tweeking the slide stop lug and installation of a flat firing pin stop were the two best improvements i've found.

Last edited:
I'd play around with the recoil spring weights. I had to do this with my Coonan 357 mag 1911. May not solve it but cheap enough to try.

I’ve not had any problems with my long slide TRP 10mm, but I’ve only shot Sig Elite and DoubleTab. Also I’m fairly generous in lubing it up with Mil-Comm TW25B.

Overall mine has been trouble free except for a few hiccups with some of the lower power ammo. I also keep it pretty well lubes but I use Ballistol. Before I started dicking around changing springs ide contact Springfield and see what they have to say . I'm sure they'll correct any issue you are having.

You didn't want to listen to experience and buy a Glock 20 as I suggested. [laugh]

The web is loaded with people having similar problems with the Springfield. As squib said, 10mm 1911 platforms can be finicky because the manufacturers don't know what the end user is going to shoot with them, so they make it worse by trying to solve issues with heavy springs. The gun needs to be tuned to the ammo used in it.

Google glock 20 problems . There's more then a few pages about them too . That said I bought a 10mm so I could shoot hot loads . The Springfield handles them great . Want to shoot anemic ammo just buy a .40

You didn't want to listen to experience and buy a Glock 20 as I suggested. [laugh]

The web is loaded with people having similar problems with the Springfield. As squib said, 10mm 1911 platforms can be finicky because the manufacturers don't know what the end user is going to shoot with them, so they make it worse by trying to solve issues with heavy springs. The gun needs to be tuned to the ammo used in it.
I was going to post something similar. I don't love Glocks but they just work.
Seems like every 1911 thread has more than a few people with varied problems which just makes me leery of the platform. I've shot a few and 1911s are beautiful no doubt and fun for the range but for self-defense, just give me a Glock.

That said, it's not inconceivable a Colt Delta Elite makes its way into my safe someday.

Interestingly enough I was at the range with a buddy and I had him bring his Glock 20. At first I was skeptical thinking the recoil would be ridiculous. It was actually pretty manageable despite the difference in mass between the guns. However the Glock trigger was awfully squishy and made me pull with anticipation. He obviously has not done any trigger upgrades. As my 19 & 26 triggers are crisp comparatively. And there is no comparison to a nice 1911 SA trigger and the heft of steel to make you smile.

Interestingly enough I was at the range with a buddy and I had him bring his Glock 20. At first I was skeptical thinking the recoil would be ridiculous. It was actually pretty manageable despite the difference in mass between the guns. However the Glock trigger was awfully squishy and made me pull with anticipation. He obviously has not done any trigger upgrades. As my 19 & 26 triggers are crisp comparatively. And there is no comparison to a nice 1911 SA trigger and the heft of steel to make you smile.

No disagreement here. I've never confused my Glock triggers with my Colt Gold Cup National Match trigger.

Back
Top Bottom