• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

square foot (raised gardens)

Thanks Billsail.

What I am looking for is if any of the leaves should be cut. Such as the ones in the attached picture. I think I am getting what a "runner" looks like.

Here is what I have circled in red.

View attachment 107393

This site: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-prune-your-strawberry-plants#b suggests You pinch off all the flowers the first year for a healthy crop next year, or later this year. Shoots from "mother plants" should also be cut off. I guess you'll have to trace them back to determine if they are shoots. That said, I never did any pruning on mine, which is why probably why I never had a particularly good crop.

Read the sites on the Google link, in my previous post, to get some idea as to what to look for.

I suppose in a raised bed, small garden like that, I would trim anything running into other plants, and let them run outside the box if the space was there, and I didn't mind where they ended up.

Last edited:
Well I am sort of disappointed in my broccoli. The plants themselves grew very well but I did not really get anything from them. I just looked at a video and it appears one piece may be getting ready to bolt so I will cut it off later when it cools down and check for any other pieces I can get.

Must have irrigation system in place next year and start the plants in the house so they are primed and ready to go outside. The wife is going to love having her table taken over by my plastic cups [smile]

I think I'm doing ok for my first time of gardening (more than cucumbers and tomatoes).
ume8utub.jpg
eva8uveh.jpg
yredu9ug.jpg
u2a5ujur.jpg
yruqezuq.jpg
uremy8uz.jpg

Nice. Way ahead of me.
Ground hog did some major damage. I hope the plants can make a comeback.
Flooded the Chuck hole today. If that didn't do it I set body traps outside the garden.

Top right hand corner of your screen

Good for you but there are probably more so don't let your guard down.
If we didn't have a fence we wouldn't have a garden. :(

I haven't seen more holes. I wonder of I should set the traps back in the hole so if a new one decides to move in on old territory it'll get a welcome home surprise?

I don't have a fence but have been lucky so far. A fence is on the to do list for next year

I looked into it. Just wasn't in the budget. Plus my gardens too spread out.

Last edited:
I harvested the remainder of my Romaine. One head was beginning to bolt. My buttercrunch which was planted 4-6 after hasn't yet. But I just ordered some shade cloth for it. Hopefully I can extend the growing season for my lettuce as we eat a lot of salads.

I've picked a handful of cucumbers too, some supereights and some pickling. Now, if only my tomatoes would ripen.

Been using them for a few years now and the wife and I are thinking about expanding.

Stuff We Grow

Garlic Grass
Garlic
various tomatoes
strawberries
potatoes
groundnut (new this year)
collard greens
carrots

for some reason our onions and peas never sprouted.

Weekly family Sunday lunch at my in-laws'. Calls for fresh salad from the garden. They are getting too used to this (until it's gone :( )
ju3utuny.jpg

Looks nice there.

My cucs and toms are just flowering. Still have romaine that is going strong and grabbed some green beans while out there today. The corn is doing something, looks like wheat shafts are growing which I assume is the start if the actual corn.

Peas and beans are absolutely exploding, already harvesting tomatoes from the patio tomato pots, zuchini and squash visible under their leaves, hot peppers are showing fruit... It's all good.
Lettuce and radishes are played out, until the weather cools. I'll sow them anew around late august or early september, and be in salad again.

I picked 1 super sweet 100 tomato today. My bell peppers are about the size of golf balls (I have one that is probably the size of a baseball). My banana peppers are about 4-5" long and my hot Portugal's are between 5-6".

Cucumbers are going like mad. I initially planted 4 transplants (2 super eights and 2 pickling). Then added 2 pickling since my original two seemed to be dying early on. Now I have 6 healthy plants. Too many cucumbers for us (about 10 every day), but luckily we both come from pretty big families. I'll probably drop some off at the neighbors house too as they have 4 kids.

don't mind the jimmy rigged rebar [smile]
e6yha7y5.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Well my cucs did OK this year, carrots I have to work on, toms are just starting to turn red, green beans were OK and no watermelons.

Might be getting close to planting some lettuce and spinach again.

Yummmmmm, first one! shiitaki1_zpsae37e94e.jpg Started 7 logs last year. First one that popped. Wife wouldn't eat it 'till I did....sliced and dipped in Blu Cheese dressing! siitake shrooms! Now 3 of the logs are popping with them!

Last edited:
What did you use to grow those?

Bought the plugs to innoculate the logs from mushroompeople.com . They have lots of info on their site. Used red oak logs, about 6" in dia.. Been a little over a year since I started them, but they should produce for about 4 years.

Last edited:
Anyone have any luck with corn this year? Mine grew but it appears to have stopped and is dying with nothing grown.

Strawberries are going everywhere so I think I will move the daughter plants back into the same boxes as the mother plant.

The tomatos are about half way red, even though I did pick a few they were mostly red. I read that they will finish ripening at room temp.

My bamboo pieces I used to hold the toms did not work out as planned so I will change that next year.

I have one baby watermelon growing but I really do not think it will get full size before the end of the year. Funny thing is, the plant itself is growing all over the place.

The tomatos are about half way red, even though I did pick a few they were mostly red. I read that they will finish ripening at room temp

Quickest way to ripen tomatoes is place them in a brown paper bag. Even quicker if you place a "ripening" apple or green banana in the bag with them. Something about the gasses they emit while ripening, will accelerate the tomatoes ripening. I have done this, and turned tomatoes red in 4 to 7 days.

Quickest way to ripen tomatoes is place them in a brown paper bag. Even quicker if you place a "ripening" apple or green banana in the bag with them. Something about the gasses they emit while ripening, will accelerate the tomatoes ripening. I have done this, and turned tomatoes red in 4 to 7 days.

OK, almost fell out of my wheelchair laughing when reading this since it is the same thing my wife said to me last night. I had never heard of it before but I guess I will have to find a paper bag and give it a try. Thanks.

OK, almost fell out of my wheelchair laughing when reading this since it is the same thing my wife said to me last night. I had never heard of it before but I guess I will have to find a paper bag and give it a try. Thanks.

i used to use the paper bag trick on dates. sometimes I needed two of them.

Back
Top Bottom