Squib vs lcp

The Anchor

NES Member
Scary trip to the range today. Shooting reloads (came with gun, looked commercially marked, but no manufacturer info - mistake 1).
2nd round from the mag, pulled trigger didn't hear bang, action didn't cycle. Dropped mag, cycled slide ejecting shell into empty brass container (mistake 2). Saw brass go in, looked like it was spent like the rest, didn't think anything of it (mistake 3), put mag back in, chambered a round and pulled the trigger. Bang was a little bigger then I expected and a piece if the trigger assembly whacked my left fingers. I am happy to say I wasn't hurt, but I am embarrassed at the mistakes I made by not inspecting the barrel.
4e5a6y2e.jpg
datuva5y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I admire your courage to admit it happened to you

I would have posted pictures but attributed it to "my brother in law"

glad you weren't injured

Some gorilla glue and sandpaper. It'll buff right out.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

"Intelligence is learning from your own mistakes; wisdom is learning from the mistakes of others."

Thanks for sharing - and props (and reps) for doing so.
There are people just starting out who will benefit from your lesson, and I'll add to the chorus "I'm glad your friends won't have to call you 'lefty'!"

I know how you feel. I blew one up once for a different reason but the feelings are likely similar. Glad you are OK. Go get another one and check for daylight through the barrel next time you have a problem.

some gorilla glue and then refer to gun buyback in boston thread....[rofl]

GREAT idea!

Glad your ok........... Ruger is probably gonna cover that

Really? I doubt it.

Good on you for admitting this. I keep a dowel small enough to fit in a .22 barrel in my range bag.

Good idea. I have a piece of thick nylon cord from a landscaper-strength weed-whacker coiled up which might also work. That, or just a cleaning rod.

I think I would be having a serious discussion with the person who sold you the gun without warning you they were reloads.

If Ruger doesn't cover it, you should turn it in at a buyback for the $50 or whatever Wal-Mart gift card, use that to buy ammo.

that sucks ass, but on the bright side you were not hurt, OP.

i've had some out of battery shots, case separation, etc. never a squib, did strip the SBR down yesterday as i thought we could have had a squib but the barrel was clear. regular, everyday jam when you run an AR bone dry in the cold. derp.

contact ruger and see what they'll do for you about the gun, you never know.

don't tell them you were shooting reloads. [laugh]

I'm surprised people are suggesting OP try to get a freebie from Ruger. This was entirely user error, and the owner is the only person that should be paying for a replacement.

Glad you weren't seriously hurt.

"The click" happens so rarely as a matter of habit I pretty much stop everything and break the gun down on the spot, or another trick is, if you have a boresnake with you, open the action and let the brass weight part of it fall into the chamber and out the front.

-Mike

Damn man, go out and buy a lottery ticket.
Glad your ok.
Call it a learning experience and enjoy another day with your digits.

Glad you weren't seriously hurt.

"The click" happens so rarely as a matter of habit I pretty much stop everything and break the gun down on the spot, or another trick is, if you have a boresnake with you, open the action and let the brass weight part of it fall into the chamber and out the front.

-Mike

This. That's crazy.

Scary trip to the range today. Shooting reloads (came with gun, looked commercially marked, but no manufacturer info - mistake 1).
2nd round from the mag, pulled trigger didn't hear bang, action didn't cycle. Dropped mag, cycled slide ejecting shell into empty brass container (mistake 2). Saw brass go in, looked like it was spent like the rest, didn't think anything of it (mistake 3), put mag back in, chambered a round and pulled the trigger. Bang was a little bigger then I expected and a piece if the trigger assembly whacked my left fingers. I am happy to say I wasn't hurt, but I am embarrassed at the mistakes I made by not inspecting the barrel.
4e5a6y2e.jpg
datuva5y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I saw this yesterday on facebook , glad you and Bryan are ok.

When in doubt , look at your feet , they are surrounded by spent 22 brass. Drop one through the barrel. Faster than fishing through your bag for a rod , specialty tool or stripping the gun.

Back
Top Bottom