STACK-ON Cabinet Mod

Dnizzle80

NES Member
I was trying to figure a way to gain room in my cabinet. A little poor man's ingenuity just gained me enough room in the cabinet for 6 pistols on the door. Already had stainless look pegboard, bought 2" hooks and slipped heat shrink wrap on to protect the guns...VWALLA!!!

veja5yna.jpg

uzy9ytyq.jpg

e3a6udu2.jpg

uqe4enyh.jpg

ery4a2yr.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

All you need now is to put some LEDs inside to illuminate it.

I have the same cabinet and used these with magnetic tape on the back to secure them which also gives you the flexibility to rearrange them easily. They work great:

http://www.amazon.com/Beams-Battery...=1407246537&sr=8-10&keywords=led+stick+lights

Nice. I've got the same cab. Might do something like this so the pistols aren't just piled on a shelf.

To avoid that I purchased one of these that I keep on the top shelf:

059-1-1.jpg

078-1-1.jpg

Plenty of different sizes and design options:

http://www.manaboutracks.com/Pages/default.aspx

I have the same cabinet and used these with magnetic tape on the back to secure them which also gives you the flexibility to rearrange them easily. They work great:

http://www.amazon.com/Beams-Battery...=1407246537&sr=8-10&keywords=led+stick+lights

To avoid that I purchased one of these that I keep on the top shelf:

059-1-1.jpg

078-1-1.jpg

Plenty of different sizes and design options:

http://www.manaboutracks.com/Pages/default.aspx

I was planning on going that gun rack route that I was going to DIY, but there's not a lot of head room on the top shelf of my cabinet and would've been around $40 in materials plus a couple hrs to make. So I went with my option and it ended up costing me $12 and 15min. Those racks are pretty sweet though and well made. I'll have to consider those lights too. Thanks for sharing!!

Get yourself a big box with a lock to store your ammo. That will give you more room for your guns.

Nice mod. I have the same Stack-On cabinet and may end up stealing this idea.
I was originally going to go with the Stack-On "door organizer".

Last edited:
Nice mod, nice work, but to be critical it's window dressing. I would buy a bigger, better safe. [kiss]

Agreed! However, that's not currently in the budget, it is in the near future though. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

A little plastic tubing on the hooks will help prevent scratching [wink]

Thanks for the tip but I noted in the OP that I put heat shrink on the pegs for that exact reason. Turns out 3/16" heat shrink fits snugly on the pegs and there's no need to use any heat to shrink them.

Sent from my iPhone

Get yourself a big box with a lock to store your ammo. That will give you more room for your guns.

I may have to do that now that I've started reloading. No way this cabinet is going to store all that. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

I did, I dug them out of a misc screw bin I have. I didn't measure them, I just checked to be sure they wouldn't touch the front panel once screwed in. I'll measure them and get back to you.

Sent from my iPhone

I did something similar, but used a pegboard cordless drill hanger and then for the top shelf, I used a dish rack. works very well

I was thinking the drill hanger too but I couldn't get the guns to hang just right. The peg hooks allowed me to adjust them so the guns now hang nice and level. Thanks for the tip though!

Looks great. My only thought was that the skeletonized hammer might not be the best lifting/hanging location on the 1911? Seems like the weight would be twisting it...

Aaron[MA];4064788 said:
Looks great. My only thought was that the skeletonized hammer might not be the best lifting/hanging location on the 1911? Seems like the weight would be twisting it...

It's possible that it appears that way in the photo but the 1911 hangs nicely, no weird pressure on the hammer at all. I appreciate the observation though!

Sent from my iPhone

That's pretty much exactly what I did with mine. I also have the cordless drill hangers - they seem to work best with full size guns. For my smaller pistols I bought some of the standard peg hooks like the OP has, except I used Plasti dip to coat them to prevent scratches. I used regular machine screws to secure the pegboard to the door, and used aluminum stand-offs to keep it off the interior surface of the door (and off of the locking mechanism).

Back
Top Bottom