Star BM, how can I obtain one in MA?

Hey guys, I am eye balling this amazing deal here -> Star BM, 9mm Luger, Compact Semi Auto Pistol, Good, Blued, Used. but living in this state its always a constant "I can't buy this :(". It is not on the roster obviously, but it is only an 8 round magazine. So, would it be legal if my father, who lives in Maine purchases one and then private sells it to me? Then I could bring it home and fill out a fa-10 form online? Would this qualify somehow as a straw purchase?

I also have a C&R license but pretty much no C&R handgun is on the roster, and websites that sell them only ship handguns to FFL's to be transferred to a C&R holder (they will mail you rifles no issue), but most FFL's will not transfer a handgun if it is not on the roster, I have asked many of them.

I am just looking for ideas here because I really want this deal, and others like it that pop up from time to time. Thoughts?

Last edited:
It's not that hard to get around the bullshit... find someone who will transfer to C&R if its eligible, done. still a few of those floating around. Remember if you have a C&R you can literally walk up to a dealer out of MA and the gun can get logged out to you.

A star bm.... on the other hand...

ytho.jpg

Remember if you have a C&R you can literally walk up to a dealer out of MA and the gun can get logged out to you.

Ah ok I did not know that about out of state purchases with a C&R, thanks for the tip. The only reason I want it is because its dirt cheap haha, just throw it on the pile of other guns in the safe, could be fun to shoot here and there.

So, would it be legal if my father, who lives in Maine purchases one and then private sells it to me? Then I could bring it home and fill out a fa-10 form online? Would this qualify somehow as a straw purchase?
If he is buying it for the express purpose of turning around and selling it to you then he basically has to lie on the 4473 as he is effectively a proxy buyer and has no intention of keeping it himself.

A Maine resident can’t private sale it to you as a MA resident without a FFL without it being a federal offense. Must be a c&r ffl holder to c&r ffl holder at minimum to comply. Also the manner you describe is a straw purchase, which is also a federal offense. Unless you want an express ticket to felony charges you better read the legal stickies.

So he would have to....keep it for a while? That just seems like a strange requirement
See what 45 said. Strictly speaking he needs to buy it for himself, decide he doesn't like it, and then sell it. Not trying to be condescending, but do you know the definition of straw purchase?

straw pur·chase
noun
US
  1. a criminal act in which something, especially a firearm, is bought by one person on behalf of another who is legally unable to make the purchase themselves.
11a from 4473:
upload_2019-1-24_13-58-57.png

From the link provided: "Not C&R, but nice historical pistols! See below for beautiful wood replacement grips."

So they won't sell to C&R anyway.

The STAR BM pistol is a very nice pistol I have two of them that were already here in MA. when I purchased them.The surplus ones that are on the market today,are from the Guardia Civil which is a police force in Spain.The bad part is that they,are not C&R eligible so your Dad buying it,and giving it to you from Maine is a no no unless you go threw an FFL.

Someone else can't buy it for you in another state since - one its a straw purchase, and two it would have to go through an FFL in the state YOU live in for you to legally transfer it from them to you. And you're back to the same problem where its not on the roster here.

and websites that sell them only ship handguns to FFL's to be transferred to a C&R holder (they will mail you rifles no issue),

The Star BM is not C&R anyway but I have had no issues getting a C&R pistol shipped directly to me from some companies. Never used JG Sales though. 2 Star B's a Radom P64 came to this way, no FFL in the middle.

If your father buys it, he bought it for himself and no one else. A few months later he gets bored of it and sells it to you. That's how it happened. Get it?

If you document it too carefully though, there's some exciting prison time in your future!

There's an organization putting together a story on firearm purchases in MA. Rather than pay researchers and reporters the minimum wage in accordance with labor laws, they are "crowdsourcing" information. I think many recent clueless posters on here are volunteers that don't realize they are working for free for a**h***s pulling down six figures a year.

The pistol not being C&R eligible throws a different spin on it.
If you can’t find a MA FLL that will transfer one to you, and can’t find a MA resident that has one and is willing to private sell it to you, you’re SOL. Ask your dad to just buy one for himself and he can let you shoot it every time you go up to Maine. Really though, this is a lot of effort for a pistol that you can find a much better version of quite easily, even in MA.

Back
Top Bottom