• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Starting a build: AR15

Lay some knowledge on me folks. I've sourced a stripped lower, but do not know how long that will take to get it, so I am going to start sourcing other parts.

I know I want the following:

Picatinny rails on the floating hand guard
Flat upper with rail/optics (A3)
Retracting bipod
.223/5.56 NATO

I want to build a nice rifle for me, but don't want to break the bank. Now I understand everything is pretty much sold out, but I have time and patients......

Anyone have recommendations for barrel length, twist, etc.? Words of wisdom? And one more thing, anyone in Nashua that can help me out if I f-something up?

sent from the Times Two Tavern via Nexus 7

I want to build a nice rifle for me, but don't want to break the bank.Now I understand everything is pretty much sold out, but I have time and patients......

Now is probably the absolute worst time to build an AR (maybe '94 was worse, I dunno). You will either a) need A LOT of patience or b) break your bank.

Having said that AR builds are like lego blocks and you have a lot of options to choose from. I suggest you start reading about aspects such as twist rate and barrel length to understand how they will affect the bullet you choose. Is this going to be a rifle, middy, carbine? What is its intended purpose (benchrest, high power, home defense, plinking etc)? Answers to those questions will determine the parts you choose.

Check out BCM, they have blemished uppers every now and then that are a good price. It has M4 feedramps, but the barrel I listed will be fine to use with it.
Upper Receiver Assembly - M4 Flat Top

I personally like this barrel and have 2 rifles built up with them.
https://danieldefense.com/16-5-56mm-1-7-lw-profile-1.html

Rail, how bout something that you can add in rails where you need them?
AR-15/M16/AR-STYLE JP MODULAR HANDGUARD SYSTEM | Brownells

PM me if you need help, I have all the tools to build up the entire rifle.

Last edited:
Now is probably the absolute worst time to build an AR (maybe '94 was worse, I dunno). You will either a) need A LOT of patience or b) break your bank.

Having said that AR builds are like lego blocks and you have a lot of options to choose from. I suggest you start reading about aspects such as twist rate and barrel length to understand how they will affect the bullet you choose. Is this going to be a rifle, middy, carbine? What is its intended purpose (benchrest, high power, home defense, plinking etc)? Answers to those questions will determine the parts you choose.

Let's call this build a "multi-purpose" build. I don't want a carbine length, probably more rifle/middy (?). I'm looking to build a good reliable rifle.

I know right now is the worst time to do it, but like I said, I have patients. Something here, something there, same as restoring vintage rc cars....

Thank you for the advice folks, keep it rolling.....

You can find parts at normal prices, but you have to be very quick, and watching sites/have alerts set up. There is a place you can watch them... but people yelled at me last time I posed them. If you're interested, PM me and I'll help you out with your search.

Just be patient, you will see lots of things go in and out of stock, be prepared to wait, and don't over pay for things. There will be several key pieces that are especially hard to get like the BCG for one.

But like I said.... PM me and I'll help you find a starting place.

And as already mentioned, I also have all tools/vise blocks etc to build a complete AR, let me know if you need any help.

Good Luck.

Funny, I actually decided to start doing the same thing this week. Had an LPK given to me, and bought a lower. I'm also tending to rifle length. Initial build I'm shooting toward will be with iron sights, and a good offset surefire mount. A few years out, will plan on putting an Aimpoint Patrol on the rail.

The only thing that kept me away from an AR years ago was the gas system. I've finally came around. Piston's sound nice, but don't seem to be worth the money on a budget build.

Thanks for the M4 Upper link. (It was exactly what I was looking for as a place to start.)

My thoughts so far:
1. Poly Lower.
2. LPK, "mil-spec" I think off of Brownells (was in a plastic bag, bought a few years ago and never used.)
3. M4 Flat top upper (like that linked.)
4. Handguard??? I like the LaRue and Vltor options, but will probably start with a simple Magpul or UTS
5. Barrel? Still looking. 16" or 20", preferably with FS installed.
6. AFG2 forward handy placy... (is this killy? is it legal?)
7. Magpul MAID or MOE Grip, or Tango Down grip.
8. Magpul MOE Rifle Stock. (Since it looks legal.)
9. BCM Bolt Carrier Group (If I can find one)
10. Ambi charging handle.

Biggest questions are which barrel and figuring out which sites to get. My intended purpose is home perimeter defense in a pinch, but primarily a good shooter at 100 yards. (And to build one for kicks.

I disagree, I built an ar in May and just built another in February. I paid much less for this one, and believe it is of better quality because I researched more this time. I have bought every piece excluding the lower (It was won in December from American Weapons Systems) in January.

I disagree, I built an ar in May and just built another in February. I paid much less for this one, and believe it is of better quality because I researched more this time. I have bought every piece excluding the lower (It was won in December from American Weapons Systems) in January.

Having you been living under a rock the past few months?

Sorry, but now IS the worst time to build an AR. Prices are jacked up across the board, stock is extremely limited and what does become available sells out in a matter of minutes. Mag and ammo prices are inflated as well. Sub-par mediocre parts are selling above what high-end LMT/DD/BCM was going for in november.

The OP will not have the luxury of leisurely picking up parts whenever it's convenient, he will need to be primed and ready to jump by sitting at his computer refreshing his email every 30sec for a notification of what he needs being in stock. Suppliers and manufacturers are backordered months, some over a year.

Just because you got lucky doesn't mean its the experience of everyone else, or even a minority. I'm not saying the OP shouldn't do it, but that he should be aware he is moving into a platform that is experiencing an unprecedented surge in demand.

Last edited:
So I'm going to use this thread to document as I go along, as well as ask for pointers blah blah blah. Thank you everyone so far with the tips and tricks. I'll start scouring and getting on email lists for parts.....

I think I'm going to get in on that Quentin group buy for the upper receiver. Is this a good idea?

Edited to add. Too late. Submitted my order lol.....

Last edited:
yeah, it's a good idea. It's probably two months until it comes in as well, so you can gather all your other stuff

Last edited:
Prices are NOT jacked up across the board if you are patient and find the right stuff.

I have purchased barrels, lowers, uppers, complete BCG's, hand rails, gas tubes, charging handles etc etc etc all in the last 2 months, and DID NOT pay full retard price on anything.

Source your parts properly, and don't pay crazy prices. There is no reason to. There are parts out there, you just need patience.

HEHE, Yeah CostieRon, I placed an order for a billet upper too!. Couldn't resist.

Purchased: (Or at least ordered) Total: $350
- Poly Lower mil-spec options
- Billet upper (QD, GB)
- LPK (though I'm thinking of splurging/looking for a STAG upgrade)
- Extractor cover
- For $100 of Amazon (of all places!) Magpul rifle stock, MADI handgrip, MOE forward, a few other bits, BCM charging handle. (I went with the Magpul Rifle stock since it didn't look to extend, and had QD mounts in the right places for a single point sling.)

Need to source: $??
- Barrel (ESS solutions looks good, but availability??)
- Sight options
- BCG + any gas bits still needed.
- Buffer tube/spring (Still doing research. Hope I didn't screw up with the Magpul rifle stock. )
- Maybe a different LPK

In regards to carbine length, is that with a 16" barrel? Looking at hand guards, and want to make sure I get the right length

What length gas system (carbine or mid-length) are you going to get?
Do you want the gas block exposed or covered?

In general, you want the gas tube to be covered with the hand guards, but some people like the gas block exposed. Other people like it covered up, I like mine covered because I tend to have a very forward grip when I shoot.

Below are 2 rifles, both barrels have mid-length gas systems. The top rifle has a 16" barrel and the bottom has a 14.5" barrel with a pinned muzzle device. Both have handguards that are rifle length (12.5").

20130218_145738_zps761aadf4.jpg

Progress:

I had been in contact with Quentin Defense before the group buy started, and was able to procure:

I got SN USCG00xx

Perfect!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361378309741.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361378309741.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
I pieced together my upper over the past month and did not pay crazy prices. Thanks to the group buys on barrels and BCM mostly. Every other part is exactly what I wanted and non retard prices. All of my stuff was sourced from BCM and Midwest Industries. Good luck!

How about a low down on barrel length. Like I said before, multi purpose use. 14.5" barrel good? And what's a price I should wait for?

How about a low down on barrel length. Like I said before, multi purpose use. 14.5" barrel good? And what's a price I should wait for?

If you do not have a tax stamp, you will have to permanently attach a muzzle device that is 1.5" to get the min 16".

My rifle with a DD 14.5" is my go to gun. I can hit stuff out to 300 with 62gr ammo.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I'm done ordering stuff for this build for now. I don't expect to start getting much in besides the lower (in tomorrow) for a couple weeks/months.

So far on order:
Quentin Defence lower (customs USCG emblem)
Quentin Defence Upper
RGuns BCG
RGuns lower parts kit
BCM 16" barrel mid length 1:7
Barrel nut
Delta ring assembly
BCMGunfighter charging handle

That covers the big stuff, now I'll wait until all that is in before I do my next round, unless I see a stellar deal on a free floating handguard system....

I bought some furniture, but I think I'm going to return it, not sure yet

Back
Top Bottom