• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Starting a build: AR15

I'm on my phone or I'd rep you for this. I'll do it when I get to my pc. Nothing warms my heart more than a pack of scouts saying the Pledge of Allegiance.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Funny you say that, my son's den is leading it this year with the flag ceremony. You're right, it is heart warming.

sent from the T3

I miss my days in the scouts. Never got to finish. Completed my Eagle project early (was 15 at the time) but had to wait a year before being able to complete the rest in the lower rank. But then school and band got in the way and priorities shifted. I really miss those camp outs.

I think I still have a few crates of the magazine hanging around my parents house.

CoastieRon? Did you get that RGuns order?

RRA has LPK's in stock, and seems to be shipping quick if you need another.

Lastly, BCG's. I've got one on the way from Rguns, but I don't expect to see it. And I expect it to be crap. Anyone have a line on stock for good quality BCG's? I know I'm going to need a second to go with the nicer QD Billet build. (Ordered a good 1:7 16" SOCOM profile barrel the other day.) I guess I'm willing to spend up to about $200 on a good one.

I can't seem to find complete BCG's anywhere, but do see parts around. Build/assemble time?

Last edited:
I miss my days in the scouts. Never got to finish. Completed my Eagle project early (was 15 at the time) but had to wait a year before being able to complete the rest in the lower rank. But then school and band got in the way and priorities shifted. I really miss those camp outs.

I think I still have a few crates of the magazine hanging around my parents house.

CoastieRon? Did you get that RGuns order?

RRA has LPK's in stock, and seems to be shipping quick if you need another.

Lastly, BCG's. I've got one on the way from Rguns, but I don't expect to see it. And I expect it to be crap. Anyone have a line on stock for good quality BCG's? I know I'm going to need a second to go with the nicer QD Billet build. (Ordered a good 1:7 16" SOCOM profile barrel the other day.) I guess I'm willing to spend up to about $200 on a good one.

I can't seem to find complete BCG's anywhere, but do see parts around. Build/assemble time?

I ordered a lower parts kit from PSA without the trigger group. I also ordered "other" takedown pin set that I should get next week, that kind of goes with the theme I am running with.

I've been thinking of getting an upgraded trigger group though. If I'm going to do this, I want it to be right the whole way through, not me deciding later to change something. I've been looking at this:

POF LRTAK Drop-In 4.5lb Trigger System w/KNS Pins

Also, I have not received anything from RGUNS as of yet. I don't expect the quality to bad honestly. Also, I think that instead of saying "backordered" they are simply saying "we probably won't ship to you for any order in less than 9 weeks" I'm kind of ok with it. By the time the lower parts kit gets here from them, my lower will be good to go, and I'll just sell the kit.

Our den actually finished all the requirements for to advance to Boy Scout, as well as all the requirements for the Arrow of Light. But because none of them are 11 or in 5th grade, they have to wait and hang out as Weblos 2. So, we are going to finish up the rest of the 20 requirements. Over acheivers...... I love doing the campouts, but I'm bringing an air mattress to Camp Carpenter this year....

I've been thinking of getting an upgraded trigger group though. If I'm going to do this, I want it to be right the whole way through, not me deciding later to change something. I've been looking at this:

Anyone? So let me put out a different way,

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of drop in trigger groups like the one in the link?

sent from the T3

I've only shot a gesselle (sp) two stage. It was awesome, but for the nature of the rifle, id keep it stock. If I was doing match or competitions, I may consider one.

there's a few good posts comparing the one you linked over on ar15.com.

Other news, my order for a barrel from dsarms was canceled/backordered and refunded. Ten minutes later I saw 16" socom 1:7 come in stock at bcm! Its on the way( I hope).

Getting my first lower this weekend and building it next week.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I bought that drop in kit today. Made a couple of surprising sales on eBay with some classic rc10 stuff so I had some cash. I'll use the lower parts kit I ordered from rguns that I probably won't see for another month to subsidize it.

Got a few other parts in as well. Gonna wait for the trigger group to come in then finish the lower.

sent from the T3

I have a Timney 3lb SS in my benchrest AR and it makes a very noticeable difference. But it depends entirely on you're purpose for the rifle? (I haven't read through this whole thread).

Basically, when I'm doing mag dumps at plates 50yds away the trigger isn't usually a major factor. But when I'm sitting at a table looking at a target 100yds away, through my Leupold at 9x, controlling my breathing and paying attention to every detail, you WILL feel every bit of that trigger, and that's where these special drop-in trigger groups really shine.

A light SS is really more for benchrest/high power, whereas a two-stage like the Geissele is more for a combat/CQB rifle.

I bought that drop in kit today. Made a couple of surprising sales on eBay with some classic rc10 stuff so I had some cash. I'll use the lower parts kit I ordered from rguns that I probably won't see for another month to subsidize it.

Got a few other parts in as well. Gonna wait for the trigger group to come in then finish the lower.

sent from the T3

Last little bits:
Ordered a few different brakes/options. (One SS form SOTA, two off midway, one DPMS Miculek one random.)
Have one more stock/setup/buffer tube to buy. Going to stick with "mil-spec", even though I may regret it.
Bought a Yankee Hill FF 9.x" "Specter" guard for my nicer build.
Nicer build (with QD upper/lower) will have a set of Troy fixed sites.
Lighter Polymer build will have a Magpul set of MBUS plus a PSA 30mm red dot.

What are you doing for sights Coastieron?

I still want to order another BCG, but I shouldn't spend another $200.

Last little bits:
Ordered a few different brakes/options. (One SS form SOTA, two off midway, one DPMS Miculek one random.)
Have one more stock/setup/buffer tube to buy. Going to stick with "mil-spec", even though I may regret it.
Bought a Yankee Hill FF 9.x" "Specter" guard for my nicer build.
Nicer build (with QD upper/lower) will have a set of Troy fixed sites.
Lighter Polymer build will have a Magpul set of MBUS plus a PSA 30mm red dot.

What are you doing for sights Coastieron?

I still want to order another BCG, but I shouldn't spend another $200.

I grabbed a Magpul BUS set. I'm saving my pennies for an Aimpoint Pro. That will be the last item I purchase. Then again, I have been rethinking the MBUS, so I'm not sure if the MBUS set will actually end up on it.

I grabbed a Magpul BUS set. I'm saving my pennies for an Aimpoint Pro. That will be the last item I purchase. Then again, I have been rethinking the MBUS, so I'm not sure if the MBUS set will actually end up on it.

I'm kind of split about them too. They seem to hold up quite well, but I'll have to see if my crappy eyes can handle them.

The PSA red dot has a good following, and it'll be a good test to see if I can use it right-eye'd. I'm right handed, but left eye-dominant. Never an issue with pistols, but I've never been able to maintain sight picture on rifles for very long without irons.

I spent some time deciding between the Mbus and Troy (Non-hk version.) Gonna try both out and keep the better set.

I'm kind of split about them too. They seem to hold up quite well, but I'll have to see if my crappy eyes can handle them.

The PSA red dot has a good following, and it'll be a good test to see if I can use it right-eye'd. I'm right handed, but left eye-dominant. Never an issue with pistols, but I've never been able to maintain sight picture on rifles for very long without irons.

I spent some time deciding between the Mbus and Troy (Non-hk version.) Gonna try both out and keep the better set.

I'm cross dominant as well. I shoot long arms with my left, but use my right for pistols. I have found that EoTech works best because of the lack of stuff on the sight. I have PRO and I find the battery compartment/controls on the right side of the sight to be more obtrusive.

Had a quiet opportunity to put the pivot pin on my lower last night. Just pickin away right now, waiting for the FCG to come in (Saturday I think).

I have not used a single special tool as of yet. In fact, for the pivot pin, I used a Dick's $10 off coupon card to hold the damper and spring in while I inserted the pin. Was pretty easy. Have not had to use any roll pins.

Pictures. Finished lower

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364427851.996789.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364427881.388998.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364427898.770322.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364427911.336700.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364427933.040874.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364427952.355855.jpg

Completed it on my rc bench. Does the buffer look right?

Edited to add: not a single roll pin used on this lower. The pivot pins are very stiff to move to the out position.

Last edited:
Contact us at Remsport for AR parts we are getting more in every day. We still do not have lower receivers and BCGs however we do have other parts.
John
413 579 1994

Update: Poly lower build almost complete. Whole string of mistakes and problems.

1. NFA polymer lower wasn't quite finished. Had to spend about an hour extra during the LPK install to get everything clean. All edges needed deburring or buffing. Mag catch wasn't large enough to accept either part I had without mods. Mag catch hole wasn't centered in the channel. All my mags fit (All three of them... gonna have to work on that!) but only one of the two vice blocks I have latch in place. I suspect the mag catch channel isn't in the right spot.

2. I had a mil-spec UTG 6 position buffer tube, and an MOE Rifle stock. I installed the UTG tube, and wasn't happy *at all* with how little material the buffer retaining pin was grabbing of the UTG tube. Same tube on another lower was quite nicely captured. Locktited the castle nut in place, then picked up the MOE rifle stock and noted it wouldn't go on the 6-position tube. (Fail 2). Ordered an A2 "receiver extension tube" and at the last second, a longer spring. (Glad I did.)

3. Went to install the MOE rifle stock, with the right tube. The new tube looks awesome. Captures the buffer retainer completely, feels/fits better. Slid the MOE rifle stock on and FAIL 3; the lower "nurl"/protrusion on the MOE stock (and the other a2 style I have hanging around) didn't fit into the lower. The lower had a little dimple pushed in, but no where near enough clearance for the 0.3" hunk of plastic stickn out from the MOE. Spent 10 minutes shaving plastic down off the MOE stock (I wasn't touching the lower any more), then spent 5 minutes contemplating grabbing a stripped lower off Brownells or *something* else... then spent another 5 finishing the job. It actually fit wonderfully in the end. The solid stock gives a good bit of contact to spread the forces over into the rest of the lower.

4. Stripped/slick side upper from Midway is actually far nicer than I'd originally expected. Installed a 1:9 SOTA 16" barrel and torqued the barrel nut. Was about to install the low profile gas block when I decided to dry-fit everything first. Glad I did, as the MOE handguard (love the feel!) made it obvious that I was missing something. No Hand guard retainer! No delta ring!. Determined to "finish" a rifle this week, I took my nice YHM free floating quad rail out of the plastic, took the barrel nut off and installed the full freefloat nut. Installed the gas block and tube, the YHM rail, locked it in place with a sight mount to align the rails between the upper and rail.

5. And then screwed on a random brake as fast as I could. IMMEDIATELY LIT MAPP GAS and silver soldered it on like a boss! (No BCG is in the house. Gun is incapable of firing. ) Already second guessing the brake. I had the choice of a nice SS one from SOTA, two of the DPMS Miculke ones, or this other one I got off midway with all the holes pointing forward. I went with the "holes forward" one. Not sure why, but it called to me. I've got no where to shoot yet, so wont have much of a change to do some experimentation to figure out which I like.

6. Mated the upper and lower, and other than needing to work in the take-down pins a bit more, all's pretty nice. The feel of the YHM rail is awesome. The gun has a very balanced feel. Shoulders comfortably.

7. Installed Troy front and rear battle sights (fixed). Wanted to co-witness the PSA red dot I bought, but well... They don't match up. I'll try and find a higher mount for the red-dot. Although playing with it for a few, I think I'm going to setup this 1:9 twist with the battle iron sights and a quick-release scope. I'll put the red dot on the other AR with mbus folders. The iron sights felt so good looking across the basement that I feel I can keep them. And the 1:9 barrel will probably be better suited for light 55gr target fun anyway.

Now I *really* want to go find some non-extremely-overpriced 5.56 and .223 of different brands/weights and go shooting. (Haven't been since last summer!) BCG arrives on Monday, and then I have a full rifle!

Second AR15 build is mostly sourced. QD upper/lower are ??? I have another lower in my hands now, which I will most likely be changing the NFA Polymer lower out with. (I'm contemplating firing a few rounds through it, and then destroying it and sending it back to the company as a shredded mess.) RRguns order with my second (first!) bcg and lpk is still "on the way". And now I need another hand guard option.

I am also right-handed and left-eyed. I use a red dot on all my rifles and slug guns. They work great for me and the distances I normally shoot.

RE: First time uploading pics is always an adventure. ;)

2013-04-09 09.21.05.jpg
first coat of paint on brake. (still has duck tape over masking tape on barrel.) Paint is ~ 750 deg F enamel. Excuse the messy work bench behind it.
2013-04-09 09.21.03.jpg
2013-04-09 09.21.36.jpg

The smell of the coating on the bcg the first few racks of the action was quite interesting. I've read through a bunch of different "break in suggestions". After seeing how it ran with light clp on it, I can see why people drown the gun in the stuff and then cycle-dryfire a thousand times.

No concerns on the action. Headspace looks "go". Tested with a snap-cap and a round of .223 and 5.56 with tape (quick-check) and with an 0.0015" feeler sweeper gauge. I know... not as good as a real headspace check, but the go/no-go point is fairly easy to assess.

In other news... my Rguns order miraculously showed up yesterday. The LPK looks great. Not sure what went on with the BCG though. Looks well staked, but it's somehow just the carrier. IE, I bought a complete BCG, but they shipped the carrier, and only charged me for the carrier.

Gonna get a bolt, firing pin, retainer and cam on the way to have this as a backup. With all this delay with the QD buy, I've managed to acquire almost 3 AR15's worth of parts. I'd written off the Rguns order as a complete loss.

In other news... my Rguns order miraculously showed up yesterday. The LPK looks great. Not sure what went on with the BCG though. Looks well staked, but it's somehow just the carrier. IE, I bought a complete BCG, but they shipped the carrier, and only charged me for the carrier.

Gonna get a bolt, firing pin, retainer and cam on the way to have this as a backup. With all this delay with the QD buy, I've managed to acquire almost 3 AR15's worth of parts. I'd written off the Rguns order as a complete loss.
No kidding. Mine showed up a week or two. I could probably look for a different upper/lower combo and build a reach out and touch me AR with a 20" barrel. In fact, I think I may start one in Oct/Nov time frame, but start looking for another combo. I really like the Seekins stuff....

You'll never believe this, but my upper is coming in! Should be at Riley's by the 29th of July.

Now, that said, I have all the parts I need, and just need to get that upper together, lower buffer tube torqued properly (I don't have an armorer's wrench) and have fun with it.

On the up side, waiting all this time has allowed me to amass a good amount of .223 & 5.56, so I'll have plenty to get this rifle sighted in with. Yay me!

Ron,
Did you see the latest update from Sam? Rileys shipment got stopped by BATFE and is impounded. Something about an expired 07 FFL. Sorry bud, you ain't getting it anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom