• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Starting a build: AR15

I had a mil-spec UTG 6 position buffer tube, and an MOE Rifle stock.... then picked up the MOE rifle stock and noted it wouldn't go on the 6-position tube. Ordered an A2 "receiver extension tube" and at the last second, a longer spring.

What buffer do you have?

The 6 position tube (receiver extension) would have required a 'carbine' buffer and spring, the A2 rifle receiver extension requires not only a longer spring but also the longer rifle buffer.

What am I doing wrong here?
pu3y6yve.jpg

Upper does not fit on either vice block? Perhaps it's not "spec"?

Is that a QD upper? I didn't test fit mine in it. I used my Matrix and Aero Precision (pre-bait and switch) to check it.

So final build out:

QD Upper (came with dust cover & forward assist)
QD Lower (CG Emblem)
UTG Mil-Spec 6 position stock/buffer tube
PSA Lower Parts kit (without fire control)
PoF Enhance trigger group
BCM Gunfighter Charging handle
RGuns NiB BCG
BCM 1:7 Chrome Lined Mid Length barrel
YHM Smooth free float hand guard Mid Length
YHM Phantom Flash Hider
YHM low profile gas break
Vortex Red Dot
Magpul BUIS
UTG Bipod

I actually have left over stuff from this build, stuff I purchased that was back ordered and bought again thinking I could sell later such as
Dust Cover kit
Windham Weaponry BCG
RGUNS Lower Parts Kit
YHM Hand guard cap (did not use because hand guard was shorter than I thought)

Excited to get this zeroed next week

Are the pics loading for anyone else? [sad]
I re-attached. The img files were broken on my end as well. The quality of the pics aren't that great, I'll take some better ones once it is all set and good to go.

Thank you Patrick for lending me your vice block

Last edited:
Niiice,

I hope to update with some pics this week, changing out the barrel brake this week in the most legal way I can think of.... And hopefully acquiring QD parts from Quincy and finishing the second build this weekend.

I ended up going with the same YHM smooth handguard for this QD build. Goal is to have metal on paper from both next week.

Niiice,

I hope to update with some pics this week, changing out the barrel brake this week in the most legal way I can think of.... And hopefully acquiring QD parts from Quincy and finishing the second build this weekend.

I ended up going with the same YHM smooth handguard for this QD build. Goal is to have metal on paper from both next week.

Did you get the Mid-Length hand guard? I noticed that my mid length does not go past the low pro gas block. I'm thinking of getting the longer one so I can use the end cap I bought.

Midlength will only go up to the midlength gas block, but not cover. You'll need a rifle length or longer (or a >~10" rail) to cover the gas block on a midlength system.
The Specter and Midlength will cover up a carbine gas system.

p.s. the fixed pictures work :)

Midlength will only go up to the midlength gas block, but not cover. You'll need a rifle length or longer (or a >~10" rail) to cover the gas block on a midlength system.
The Specter and Midlength will cover up a carbine gas system.

p.s. the fixed pictures work :)

Yup. I'm not sure what I'm going to do quite yet. I want to just shoot ....

Changing the forearm on this today. Going to rifle length, but same modle (YHM Smooth). I want the iron sights (which I haven't ordered yet, and have decided against the Magpul ones I got, I think they are the airsoft ones.....) to be a little farther apart. I want to shoot this with iron sights and THEN put the red dot on it.

Suggestions for a non break the bank front and back set?

Changing the forearm on this today. Going to rifle length, but same modle (YHM Smooth). I want the iron sights (which I haven't ordered yet, and have decided against the Magpul ones I got, I think they are the airsoft ones.....) to be a little farther apart. I want to shoot this with iron sights and THEN put the red dot on it.

Suggestions for a non break the bank front and back set?

The real MagPul BUIS are not 'airsoft' versions, but real. There was an article linked to (this year) where they did some drop tests with several BUIS that are available for the AR platform. The ONLY ones to not lose zero were the MagPul. All the rest were did not retain zero after a single drop. Probably looking at about $80-$90 for the set of MagPul BUIS (plus shipping)...

Back
Top Bottom