Starting a build: AR15

The real MagPul BUIS are not 'airsoft' versions, but real. There was an article linked to (this year) where they did some drop tests with several BUIS that are available for the AR platform. The ONLY ones to not lose zero were the MagPul. All the rest were did not retain zero after a single drop. Probably looking at about $80-$90 for the set of MagPul BUIS (plus shipping)...

I got the gen 1, and they were like $37 for the set (came as a set, not purchase seperately. Good to know though

I got the gen 1, and they were like $37 for the set (came as a set, not purchase seperately. Good to know though

Be careful with ebay and Magpul parts. Magpul either licensed their name and parts out to a Chinese company or they just illegally reproduce them for airsoft. When you see an MBUS set for $30 that is what you are getting.

The fake stuff is sold as PTS MBUS (licensed I think) instead of the MBUS I believe. There is also just some crappy knockoffs out there.
Heads up: MBUS's been cloned. - AR15.COM
As seen here - Real Magpul UBR vs China made UBR comparison. - Calguns.net

Finally getting a chance to fire this rifle tonight. Have not checked headspace or go/no go (I do not have the tools). This going to be an issue?

Have a lane reserved at MFL for 6pm....

Finally getting a chance to fire this rifle tonight. Have not checked headspace or go/no go (I do not have the tools). This going to be an issue?

As long as all the parts you used where in spec, and you assembled them correctly, your headspace should be good. When you first shoot it load a single round, check to make sure the bolt locks up, and let fly. Retrieve your brass and check that the case isn't excessively stretched or deformed.

But as always, fire a weapon that hasn't been checked for headspace at your own risk ...

I would always check headspace before firing anything. Unless you bought a complete upper from Windham, BCM, Palmetto, Stag, etc where they test it for you.

Big mistake not to check it IMHO. It takes 30 seconds to check it.

I would always check headspace before firing anything. Unless you bought a complete upper from Windham, BCM, Palmetto, Stag, etc where they test it for you.

Big mistake not to check it IMHO. It takes 30 seconds to check it.

Find a friend you don't like so much . That's my head space checking method .

Even when I switch out BCG's, I re-check the headspace. Just to make sure that BCG is good, etc.

Too many things can happen when you build your own rifle. A set of headspace gauges should be in your toolbox. Or borrow them from someone.

Even when I switch out BCG's, I re-check the headspace. Just to make sure that BCG is good, etc.

Too many things can happen when you build your own rifle. A set of headspace gauges should be in your toolbox. Or borrow them from someone.

Although I agree it is always best and safest to check, how many times have you found correctly assembled parts from reputable manufacturers that didn't pass a set of go no go gauges?

Although I agree it is always best and safest to check, how many times have you found correctly assembled parts from reputable manufacturers that didn't pass a set of go no go gauges?

If you buy a complete upper, I would not check it.

When you get a bunch of parts though, and assemble it yourself, then I would always check it.

Also, there have been plenty of people on this site recently with head spacing issues. Whether it be a bad BCG, or barrel, etc.

I've built probably about 20 ARs over the years. I've only had one that didn't headspace quite right (it was too tight,) but I still check every one. The gauges are not that expensive.

First of all, a huge thank you to Adam at Acme Armament. He checked the head spacing, inspected my build & oiled it up properly.

He has the most epic beard as well.

Fired 150 rounds through it. While I don't believe it is dialed in, it shoots pretty fricken sweet at 50' (was at the firing line)

4e4u8adu.jpg

A couple of observations:

I hate my stock, just like Adam said I would.

Shooting with contact lenses and shooting glasses through right eye on iron sights does not work well with the hearing protection I use (muffs) and creates double vision

The Vortex red dot works well enough.

I hate my stock.

I block the vision of my non shooting eye with a little scotch tap on the lens. Aprox 1/3 of the top portion of the lens is covered which only really blocks my vision when mounting the gun. I cant close the oposite eye with out my aiming eye fatigueing quickly. Mold ear plugs are the way to go

I block the vision of my non shooting eye with a little scotch tap on the lens. Aprox 1/3 of the top portion of the lens is covered which only really blocks my vision when mounting the gun. I cant close the oposite eye with out my aiming eye fatigueing quickly. Mold ear plugs are the way to go

Got the molded plugs done yesterday.

First of all, a huge thank you to Adam at Acme Armament. He checked the head spacing, inspected my build & oiled it up properly.

He has the most epic beard as well.

Fired 150 rounds through it. While I don't believe it is dialed in, it shoots pretty fricken sweet at 50' (was at the firing line)

4e4u8adu.jpg

A couple of observations:

I hate my stock, just like Adam said I would.

Shooting with contact lenses and shooting glasses through right eye on iron sights does not work well with the hearing protection I use (muffs) and creates double vision

The Vortex red dot works well enough.

I hate my stock.

What do you hate about the stock?

So I'm getting ready to build a plinker, so some of the items on this rifle are going towards that build, in exchange for items to be purchased.

The red dot and iron sights are going on the plinker, as well as the stock set up.

In exchange, this will be getting an Ace Skeleton rifle stock set up. ARFX I think is the one, and a Nikon scope, one of the P-223 models.

Back
Top Bottom