• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

State House Update: Budget Amendment #1116 Defeated

Full Story Credit given to the "State House News" This is an excerpt only:

FID CARD: At 6:21 pm, Rep. Peterson offered amendment 1116.

Rep. Peterson said this reduces the fee for firearms licenses and expands the length of time a license is good for. Since 1998, when we created a new system and increased fees and requirements we have spent a lot of money on putting infrastructure in place to process licenses in an efficient manner. The bulk of the infrastructure is in place. The fee is $100 per license for every five or six years, depending on your birthday. In Rhode Island it’s $40. In New Hampshire it’s $10. This drops our fee to $40 and reduces the state share to $15. I have a problem paying this kind of money for my constitutional right. The other change is to extend the license to a full six years for everyone.

Rep. Peterson secured support for a roll call.

Rep. O’Flaherty said reducing fees at a time when the budget is strained is probably not best. I had questions about the law and the legislative process is the way to address the issue. This is probably not the most effective way to deal with the issue but members would work with you. Some police chiefs have indicated a bureaucratic nightmare. I do not carry a firearm or have a license but I respect the right. I hope the amendment is not adopted in this form.

Rep. Humason said I support the Second
Amendment. This should be considered. This was a cash grab to raise the fees. I am willing to work with the chairman. This is different from the typical fee and it is tied to the Second Amendment. Charlton Heston recently passed away and he was our ex-officio president. I was taught at a young age about gun safety.

BY A ROLL CALL VOTE OF 75-80, AMENDMENT REJECTED

Well, the won't be getting money from me then.... I would have applied for a non-ressie...guess they don't want me.... should try to move my job and income tax out of state as much as possible. Glad I can work from home.

Dear Rep Gene O'Flaherty,

I am truly disappointed in the decision to not support this amendment. I
believe it may cost MA even more money in the long term. I recently
moved to New Hampshire from Massachusetts. I currently work in
Massachusetts, but I believe due to this decision I will work
with my company to create the ability for me to work from home in New Hampshire and not in Massachusetts where I have no representation for my taxation.

This is not just about lowering the cost of the permit for a
constitutional right and the state of Massachusetts losing money, but
it is about allowing the citizens of it and of neighbouring states to
not be taxed as much. Look at the decline in the number of permits
before the new permit process went into place. There was a more than
six time decrease in the number of permits. This decrease is more to
blame for the decrease in revenues from permits. A $40 price tag for
instate, and $100 for out of state, but for 6 years instead of $100
*every* year, may have allowed for a sharp increase in the number of
permits issue and therefore a large increase in current revenues.

I have to say I feel ashamed of Massachusetts for not doing right for
the people of the commonwealth. With better planning and budgeting the
tiny decrease in revenue (assuming no increase in the number of
permits) would have easily been compensated for.

I strongly encourage you to work with GOAL to push a Firearm License
Fee amendment that will both support the people of the Commonwealth's
right to keep and bear arms as well as the budget of the Commonwealth.

Regards,
Jason

I know I keep bringing up DC versus Heller, but after a positive decision it will be harder for them to justify charging any fee for a civil right. After June we can start chipping away at the stone. Unmercifully.

Back
Top Bottom