• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

State legalized marijuana + gun registration = Confiscation

allen-1

NES Member
Personally I don't smoke dope, gave it up decades ago. But I know people who still do, some for medical reasons, some just 'cause.

A number of states have made it legal, (and the cynic goes "of course they did, there's MONEY to be made in dope dealing, there always was").

BUT - it's NOT legal on the FEDERAL level. And on that 4473 form you fill out for every purchase, it asks you if you're a user of any illegal substance...

Now Hawaii went to the great FU. If you're LEGALLY using medical marijuana in Hawaii, AND you're a registered gun owner, (you HAVE to register your guns there) - they're telling you to TURN in your guns... Hahahahahaha FU legal dope smoker and gun owner.

https://www.leafly.com/news/politic...lice-tell-hawaiian-medical-marijuana-patients

Gee - I wonder why people, (including me), absolutely believe "registration leads to confiscation". And I don't wonder why people, including me, build out their own, or buy unregistered guns.

Coming from Connecticut to Georgia, I was surprised to find out:
Georgia does NOT require you to register your firearms.
Georgia does NOT require you to file ANY paperwork on a person to person sale/transfer.

Last edited:
Is this you laughing or the government laughing?

Government laughing, definitely not me.

They legalized pot smoking, got you to sign up for it, got you to register your firearms - then cross-referenced the lists and screwed you. All those people who thought that they could quit being illegal users of dope because the state would take care of them, now have to give up their guns because they trusted their government.

Marijuana's legal in 28 states now. And everyone who signed up for a card is now a federally prohibited person. Absolutely diabolical.

I left Connecticut for three reasons and one of them was the ridiculous gun laws that were being imposed.
The other two were the economy and the weather.

Now that I'm a resident of Georgia and spend my summers in Connecticut, I get to compare the gun laws on a regular basis. And I get the additional benefit of making sure I understand FOPA and the basics of SC, NC, MD, DE, NJ, and NY too; (gems like not having any "high cap" mags in my possession in NY - that's a felony; or no hollowpoint ammo in NJ - another felony).

Georgia's a "free state", and most of the guys I shoot with take for granted the freedoms you wouldn't believe.

Last edited:
Interesting intersection of a licensed "right" and presumed innocence here.

The fact that I have a card granting me permission by the state to do something prohibited by the feds is considered proof that I am now ineligible to possess a firearm and the state is asking me to give up my firearms under federal law.

We won't even go into the nuances of purchase, ownership, possession...

Following this same logic, if I have a driver license and beer at home, I should report to jail because I must have driven drunk.

Didn't they change the 4473 recently to make people aware that it makes you a prohibited person? I don't agree with it, but you're naive if you don't think they'll use it against you if you announce/register you do two legally incompatible things (use mj on a federal level and own firearms).

HIPPA? Doctor Patient confidentiality? Are they just blatantly ignoring these? At least pretend to follow the law..

Can't wait to move to a free state, away from registries. The spring can't come soon enough.

Anyway, there are going to be a lot of boating accidents in the near future. Stay safe, everyone.

I have been saying this since the first states started allowing recreational use of marijuana. Get a card and lose your rights.
I never smoked pot in my life so it will never affect me, but there are many people who don't look past the next day and don't see shit like this coming.

so it seems the Hawaii government has illegally shared personal medical information with the police department? Big lawsuit coming, i presume!

As allen-1 notes this is a state registration issue more than it's a 4473 issue, though the two are clearly related. The state has it's own list of who owns guns, and a separate list of who has a card. It doesn't need to involve the feds, and the law cited in the letters is a state statute.

Gun registration via 4473s is one thing, but having it at the state level as well makes things a whole lot more dangerous.

so it seems the Hawaii government has illegally shared personal medical information with the police department? Big lawsuit coming, i presume!

The cops are the government, and alleging a public safety interest basically gives our overseers (the politicians) and their attack dogs (cops) carte blanche. The lawsuit, if there is one, will be an uphill fight.

This is the statute that the letter cites:

§134-7 Ownership or possession prohibited, when; penalty. (a) No person who is a fugitive from justice or is a person prohibited from possessing firearms or ammunition under federal law shall own, possess, or control any firearm or ammunition therefor.

As allen-1 notes this is a state registration issue more than it's a 4473 issue, though the two are clearly related. The state has it's own list of who owns guns, and a separate list of who has a card. It doesn't need to involve the feds, and the law cited in the letters is a state statute.

Gun registration via 4473s is one thing, but having it at the state level as well makes things a whole lot more dangerous.
What I was trying to get at was that if you've ever done a 4473 (which most gunowners have unless they make all their own or only do private party sales) you've seen the disqualification for marijuana, so it shouldn't come as a shock. GOAL and others here were making it abundantly clear that although it was legalized in MA it's still a federal disqualifier. Not hard to imagine the state would (esp. one like Hawaii) take a leap and use whatever means they have at their disposal to confiscate.

It stinks, but to sign up for a card that you know announces you are a pp is being shortsighted. Again, I don't think it should be a disqualifier, but that's the game they're playing.

Suing to protect the rights of weed smoking gun owners? I totally agree that rights are being violated, but that lawsuit is going to be a tough sell in a state that probably hates both weed and guns.

Suing to protect the rights of weed smoking gun owners? I totally agree that rights are being violated, but that lawsuit is going to be a tough sell in a state that probably hates both weed and guns.

In my mind, the point isn't that weed smoking people should be allowed to possess guns, the point is that a right is being denied, actively revoked, without due process.

The assumption is that since I have a little card that says I could get marijuana, I have used said marijuana and am now a prohibited person and have to give up my property... or else.

If they find some marijuana on you and you don't have the card, do they immediately confiscate all your firearms? Before the trial? Without a court order? That wouldn't fly, but since you have a card that says you could get marijuana legaly in the state if you wanted to, they get to confiscate your firearms without a trial or a court order. It sure looks like the same thing to me and shouldn't fly either.

Under this same argument, if I have a prescription for certain pain killers, I should loose my firearms because I could be addicted to them. If I drive to a bar, I should loose my driver licence because I could drink and drive. If I have matches in my pocket I should be arrested for arson because I could start a fire.

Damn. There goes my brilliant business idea of opening a pot and gun shop. (just kiddin')

I wonder what would happen if your doctor issued you a card without your asking for one- just so that it would go on your record, assuming your MD didn't like private firearms ownership.

Interesting intersection of a licensed "right" and presumed innocence here.

The fact that I have a card granting me permission by the state to do something prohibited by the feds is considered proof that I am now ineligible to possess a firearm and the state is asking me to give up my firearms under federal law.

We won't even go into the nuances of purchase, ownership, possession...

Following this same logic, if I have a driver license and beer at home, I should report to jail because I must have driven drunk.

This is the start of a great legal argument to bring suit. Get a card, don't actually buy weed and turn around to sue government when they try to hamstring you.

This is the start of a great legal argument to bring suit. Get a card, don't actually buy weed and turn around to sue government when they try to hamstring you.

An expensive route would be to get tested daily by a place like a Quest Diagnostics proving you are not an illegal user of MJ until they decide to hamstring you. Make sure you don’t settle.

This shit will sooner or later work itself out but it will take the Feds to recognize medical marijuana as real medicine. I personally thing pot has amazing medical potential, but I also know that approximately 99% of medical marijuana users are full of shit and just like to get high....which is totally fine by me. It's less harmful than booze and an absolute absurdity that it's not legal. I digress.

If you're a gun owner and are stupid enough be "in the system" as a weed user then I guess tough shit. Stupid is as stupid does.

Pot is and has been easy enough to get forever without needing a medical card or registering for a database.

I have a coworker with a medical card and he also wants to get his LTC and has asked me how. I told him he may as well forget it unless he wants to perjure himself...which he could easily get away with if he obtained his "anxiety medicine" the old fashioned way but it would be hard to defend against when your name and smiling picture is in a f***ing .gov database.

It will be interesting to see how the retail shops work in MA once they open. Will it be like a liquor store where you flash an ID, or will your ID be scanned and recorded?

As far as the 4473 question goes, it's worded "Are you an unlawful user of or addicted to marijuana or...." so as Spanz said it really all depends on how you define "is"....

Are you an unlawul user of? Well, no, not right this minute I'm not. Yesterday I smoked, but I don't identify as a pot smoker right now. Addicted to? LOL pot's not addictive, you silly feds.

Back
Top Bottom