State Police Shoot in Lynn

Yesterday, MSP had a "Shoot" in Lynn, Ma. Of course, it was a drug deal and car chase, and the badguy tried running over a Trooper. Let Me State....the MSP Trooper (Shooter) involved is top notch and a real crime stopper. Yes, I know him....He's OK after this shoot....and it could have been alot worse. The MSP Trooper involved is known to some of You on this Forum....and He simply Ki**s A*s. He hunts real criminals, not cross walk violations...and I'm glad "We" have him and I'm glad he's OK.

Roger That....

Saw that he "fired in the direction" of the bad guy. Looked like he grazed him near left armpit from chopper video.

Glad he is okay. Trooper that is.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

We live right downtown in Lynn. I got a text from my wife late afternoon. She was going on about police cars everywhere, sirens, a helicopter. The next text said she heard what sounded like gunshots. I had her log into the scanner and check it out. She was sending me texts as it was going on. Carjacking I guess. Caught the guy in a minivan, pulled into a driveway. Glad the MSP is OK

OK - let me start by saying I am glad the trooper is ok.

BUT...

I live in Lynn and based on what the MSP have released so far about this incident, I am pissed about the way it went down. I am actually hoping I am missing some of the information, but based on the info I have seen, I have some complaints.

According to the paper's report, the trooper approached the suspect and the suspect apparently put something in his mouth (don't know why the trooper was approaching him to begin with - apparently the suspect was at a gas pump). The trooper then had an altercation with the suspect which got physical - give the trooper the benefit of the doubt and say the suspect got physical first. The suspect then fled and the trooper gave chase. Suspect smashes through one of the busiest intersections in Lynn, then steals another car at the scene of the accident - this is where the trooper apparently fired at the suspect. Suspect then leads a chase around the city, including much of the time after a wheel has fallen off and he is driving on three wheels. Finally the idiot stops and runs through a couple of yards before being caught.

Here's my problem: Why the hell was this guy being chased over what was apparently a very minor drug incident? At that time in the afternoon, there was kids all over the place on the sidewalks - what the hell good did it do to chase this guy? He was in idiot - chances are if the chase was broken off before he smashed into two or three cars at Franklin and Boston streets, he would have just gone home in the next day or two and MSP could have picked him up there. Instead, we have a high speed chase through a city that is packed with pedestrians and traffic at all times. Even if the idiot had gotten away completely, I'd sacrifice this one moron getting away as a trade off for the danger it caused the citizens around the city.

I'm pissed because I had a kid walking home from an after school activity (JROTC-like program) at Classical - he had no cell phone and I had no way to contact him and I was at the firestation. My older son was walking to meet him to make sure he got home safe. Instead, as soon as my older son started walking down the hill from the house, the getaway van pulled right up in front of him and the perp jumped out and ran through a yard.

Both my kids ended up being in close proximity to this guy driving erratically on three wheels over a small amount of heroin or crack or whatever the trooper suspected him of carrying? I call that bullshit. Not to mention that the shooting occurred in one of the busiest intersections of the city with virtually no safe back drop in any direction, so shooting at someone not actually in the act of trying to kill someone (versus "posing a threat" as he gets away) is quite unthinkable to me. I'm not happy about it and I can't help but think this isn't the sort of thing the MSP would have done if they had been in Marblehead or Newton.

Again, if I am missing some of the facts that make chasing this idiot a better idea than just going an picking him up at his house later or if his crime was so big an dangerous that it justified putting innocent bystanders at risk, I'm all ears, but from what they MSP themselves have released, it doesn't sound that way to me.

BUT...

I live in Lynn and based on what the MSP have released so far about this incident, I am pissed about the way it went down. I am actually hoping I am missing some of the information, but based on the info I have seen, I have some complaints.

According to the paper's report, the trooper approached the suspect and the suspect apparently put something in his mouth (don't know why the trooper was approaching him to begin with - apparently the suspect was at a gas pump). The trooper then had an altercation with the suspect which got physical - give the trooper the benefit of the doubt and say the suspect got physical first. The suspect then fled and the trooper gave chase. Suspect smashes through one of the busiest intersections in Lynn, then steals another car at the scene of the accident - this is where the trooper apparently fired at the suspect. Suspect then leads a chase around the city, including much of the time after a wheel has fallen off and he is driving on three wheels. Finally the idiot stops and runs through a couple of yards before being caught.

Here's my problem: Why the hell was this guy being chased over what was apparently a very minor drug incident? At that time in the afternoon, there was kids all over the place on the sidewalks - what the hell good did it do to chase this guy? He was in idiot - chances are if the chase was broken off before he smashed into two or three cars at Franklin and Boston streets, he would have just gone home in the next day or two and MSP could have picked him up there. Instead, we have a high speed chase through a city that is packed with pedestrians and traffic at all times. Even if the idiot had gotten away completely, I'd sacrifice this one moron getting away as a trade off for the danger it caused the citizens around the city.

I'm pissed because I had a kid walking home from an after school activity (JROTC-like program) at Classical - he had no cell phone and I had no way to contact him and I was at the firestation. My older son was walking to meet him to make sure he got home safe. Instead, as soon as my older son started walking down the hill from the house, the getaway van pulled right up in front of him and the perp jumped out and ran through a yard.

Both my kids ended up being in close proximity to this guy driving erratically on three wheels over a small amount of heroin or crack or whatever the trooper suspected him of carrying? I call that bullshit. Not to mention that the shooting occurred in one of the busiest intersections of the city with virtually no safe back drop in any direction, so shooting at someone not actually in the act of trying to kill someone (versus "posing a threat" as he gets away) is quite unthinkable to me. I'm not happy about it and I can't help but think this isn't the sort of thing the MSP would have done if they had been in Marblehead or Newton.

Again, if I am missing some of the facts that make chasing this idiot a better idea than just going an picking him up at his house later or if his crime was so big an dangerous that it justified putting innocent bystanders at risk, I'm all ears, but from what they MSP themselves have released, it doesn't sound that way to me.

Yeah, let's blame the cops and not the perps who broke the law. Because I'm sure you've read the report and have all the details. [rolleyes]

I'm basing it on what the MSP themselves released. If they chased a perp all over town, shot at him in a busy intersection and then chased him some more while he was on three wheels, I'd like to think they had a good reason, but according to the information that they released, I'm not seeing it. I'm actually asking for clarification. Someone please tell me why this was a good idea.

I have been an adamant defender of the police on this board in many threads. I'm quite often alone in my defense of them. In this situation, when it put two of my kids in danger, I'd like to hear the justification. I don't think it's asking a lot.

Obie,

I think you skipped over the first half of his first post . He did say this is what I read and he hopes they didn't publish every thing etc, And he is one of the first to stand up for cops.......

Not saying who's right or wrong . But I think if you take in to account what he first wrote about not sure if what he said was missing info . You might read/see it different ....

Last edited:

BUT...

I live in Lynn and based on what the MSP have released so far about this incident, I am pissed about the way it went down. I am actually hoping I am missing some of the information, but based on the info I have seen, I have some complaints.............

I'm glad your kids are okay. I'm sure we don't have all the information, nor can we expect it from the media. But your questions are fair and I hope will be answered in time. A gun fight in the middle of a busy intersection is a scary thing to contemplate. I'm glad your kids are safe though... I can understand your anger with the situation.. Sometimes maybe it is better to just let them go... But lets find out why the trooper felt it necessary to approach, engage, give chase, discharge his weapon in public, etc.... For all that to happen there has got to be a damn good reason....

Last edited:
Well said!

Unfortunatly......"That guy" is living up to his screen name!
I can understand how a person would be upset when this happens in the proximity of his kids, but the "just let 'em go and go to their house later" logic often assumes far too much--one, that they know who he is, and second, that the offense they want him on can wait that long.

now we all know I play devils advocate when it comes to cops, I am frequently critical, but I have a great respect for the LEO's who post on this site, even when there are people like me who always asking questions.

I can understand the concerns about high speed pursuits in crowded areas, and flying lead, but you can't have it both ways.

If you are concerned about the safety of today's youth, then it is the guy selling coke, meth, heroin,OC's and other drugs that are the real danger, and the cops need to be going after the dealers, and many times the bad guys are not going to go quietly when they are found to be holding with intent to distribute, in school zones, after previous arrests, etc

With an incident like this there will be an investigation into the actions of the Trooper and all involved LEOs by the District Attorney. This will be a thorough investigation which will include interviews with whatever witnesses could be gathered on scene, suspect statements and all involved LEO accounts. It is understandable to have questions and want immediate answers, but this is impossible. My suggestion, before jumping to conclusions or getting upset, is to wait it out for the DA's final press release regarding the situation. My thoughts go out to the Trooper involved for a speedy physical and mental recovery. I can honestly say, from personal experience, the hardest part of an officer involved shooting is waiting to hear that you are legally justified in your use of deadly force and waiting to get cleared by the DA.

Yesterday, MSP had a "Shoot" in Lynn, Ma. Of course, it was a drug deal and car chase, and the badguy tried running over a Trooper. Let Me State....the MSP Trooper (Shooter) involved is top notch and a real crime stopper. Yes, I know him....He's OK after this shoot....and it could have been alot worse. The MSP Trooper involved is known to some of You on this Forum....and He simply Ki**s A*s. He hunts real criminals, not cross walk violations...and I'm glad "We" have him and I'm glad he's OK.

Roger That....

+1. Very happy to hear the state trooper involved is ok. I would be my honor to replace his expended ammo and clean his weapon.

Sounds a little iffie to me also.

BUT...

You make some very valid points. We'll just have to wait to see the results of the MSP-IA investigation. I'll bet they back him up, though. MSP seems to be a very close club.

Back
Top Bottom