State Police

Just wondering if anyone on here is a State trooper and how hard is that to become in MA with a college degree?

Sorry if this has already been posted.

No... but I stayed in Hotel New Braintree for a bit. Your degree doesn't really matter. Take civil service exam. Don't score below a 97. Run a lot. Wait. Run some more. Wait some more. Interview and stuff. Profit.

Now your thread will turn to complete shit. PM if you have any other questions.

College degree or previous experience doesn't make a damn bit of difference, you'll go through the same academy with the rest of the RTT. With a good score on the civil service exam and a relatively uneventful criminal history, you have as good a shot as anyone else (unless you are a white non-veteran male, in which case you are at a disadvantage). Being in good physical shape helps, but you don't need to be a marathon runner either. Make sure you can handle DI bullshit non-stop for 6 months without reacting adversely - lots of guys leave the academy with personal grudges against the DIs, some at graduation and some long before.

Just wondering if anyone on here is a State trooper and how hard is that to become in MA with a college degree?

Yes, stop by First Defense Firearms in Uxbridge and ask Dennis. He transferred from a municipal PD to MSP some years ago and perhaps he can give you some scoop on your chances.

Good people and nice gun shop as well.

Not sure about MA, but I can tell you in CT you get automatically cut from the pool for scoring too high, i.e. being smart and able to think on your own.

There was a wonderful court case on this in New London quite a few years back.

Not sure about MA, but I can tell you in CT you get automatically cut from the pool for scoring too high, i.e. being smart and able to think on your own.

There was a wonderful court case on this in New London quite a few years back.

I went through a sobriety checkpoint in Montville on Friday and this explains a lot. Thank you.

At this point, unless you're prior military forget about MSP. Go enlist if your serious about working in MA.

And for the record I have never served. I'm not saying the system should be changed but after two civil service tests and hundreds of police apps you could say I'm a bit jaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong. MSP only gives 2 points to Vets. Its not absolute preference like municipality's. You have every chance in world if you score 97 or higher.

Wrong. MSP only gives 2 points to Vets. Its not absolute preference like municipality's. You have every chance in world if you score 97 or higher.

Thank you for the clarification. I suppose I should have known that. In my defense this was the first test I have taken that counted towards MSP along with the towns, so I assumed it was the same operation as the municipalities. Open mouth, insert foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No... but I stayed in Hotel New Braintree for a bit. Your degree doesn't really matter. Take civil service exam. Don't score below a 97. Run a lot. Wait. Run some more. Wait some more. Interview and stuff. Profit.

Now your thread will turn to complete shit. PM if you have any other questions.

^^^^

You could always start small by taking the reserve academy, then try to get on a non civil service town and work your way up. Not a bad idea.

when is the next time i can take the SP exam? And is that the first thing to start with?

Do you genuinely want to be a statie, or are you just wanting to get into LE in general? If you're willing to get out of MA you could be in an academy by this time next year. I'm not exaggerating about that at all.

Do you genuinely want to be a statie, or are you just wanting to get into LE in general? If you're willing to get out of MA you could be in an academy by this time next year. I'm not exaggerating about that at all.

MA police compensation tends to be higher than many other states, and the difficulty of getting a LE job in a particular state tends to be inversely proportional to the compensation. Try applying to some of the southern states for a local or statie job and you may find it available .... but not leading up to $100K+/year as is common in MA with a lot of years on the job and overtime.

MA police compensation tends to be higher than many other states, and the difficulty of getting a LE job in a particular state tends to be inversely proportional to the compensation. Try applying to some of the southern states for a local or statie job and you may find it available .... but not leading up to $100K+/year as is common in MA with a lot of years on the job and overtime.

It's all about getting a recognized certification, though. You can get hired by Baltimore City PD (making peanuts) in just a few months. After two years you can take the TCLEOSE equilivancy test to get certified in Texas, and lateral over to Austin PD where you can easily clear $100,000 a year.

EDIT: Or you can just apply directly to Austin PD, because they're accepting applications starting October 1st.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom