• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

States recognizing MA LTC

DemonChronicles

NES Member
I use an app on my iPhone to keep track of permits and expiration. There was an update recently to it and I noticed the states recognizing a MA LTC seems to have increased a bit.

I thought it was 18 states, but it now says 21 states:

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Massachusetts
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
North Carolina
Oklahoma
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont

The app I use is simply called CCW. Anyone else using another similar app and can confirm this?

Just curious, not a debate on states that don't need a permit, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I just noticed it this morning as I am taking the Utah NR course tonight and was curious how many more states I'd be "legal" in.

Last edited:
Like I said, not a debate whether some states are of that status, I realize there are more than a few on that list.

The software doesn't differentiate those states, it's simply a "Here are the states you are legal in" type of thing.

List edited..

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, why take the special Utah class when you can just do a Florida non-res via mail (no special class required) and be covered in pretty much all of the same states?

Just out of curiosity, why take the special Utah class when you can just do a Florida non-res via mail (no special class required) and be covered in pretty much all of the same states?

Two reasons: There are couple of states (like Minnesota, I think) that are covered by Utah that are not covered by Florida. It really comes down to individual need. Also, the firearms training industry in MA (of which I'm admittedly a part) has done a very good job of marketing the value of the Utah license. With the Florida license, there's no additional training, so there's nothing to market. It's a sort of buyer beware.

Two reasons: There are couple of states (like Minnesota, I think) that are covered by Utah that are not covered by Florida. It really comes down to individual need. Also, the firearms training industry in MA (of which I'm admittedly a part) has done a very good job of marketing the value of the Utah license. With the Florida license, there's no additional training, so there's nothing to market. It's a sort of buyer beware.

Ahh, marketing.

With MA res, NH non-res, and FL non-res you get: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming

With MA res, NH non-res, and UT non-res you get: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

If I'm reading that right, with FL instead of UT you gain Florida and New Mexico but lose Minnesota, Washington, and Wisconsin. I guess if you any spend time in Minnesota, Washington or Wisconsin the UT non-res is a good deal.

Ahh, marketing.

With MA res, NH non-res, and FL non-res you get: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming

With MA res, NH non-res, and UT non-res you get: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

If I'm reading that right, with FL instead of UT you gain Florida and New Mexico but lose Minnesota, Washington, and Wisconsin. I guess if you any spend time in Minnesota, Washington or Wisconsin the UT non-res is a good deal.

Although according to the Florida Department of Agriculture website:

February 4, 2013: Effective this date, PENNSYLVANIA will no longer honor a Florida concealed weapon license if the license holder is not a RESIDENT of the state of Florida.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Div...on-License/States-Recognizing-Florida-License

So you'd gain PA with the Utah license if this is correct.

According to the NH State Police website:

Reciprocity:
The State of New Hampshire has reciprocity agreements with the following states:
* License holders must be 21 years of age or older.​
PLEASE NOTE: The State of New Hampshire will only recognize resident concealed handgun licenses from these states. Concealed handgun licenses issued by the State of New Hampshire to out-of-state residents are ONLY valid within the State of New Hampshire or within a state other than the licensee’s home state that reciprocally recognizes New Hampshire nonresident concealed carry licenses.

I don't know if I'm reading this correctly.​

Last edited:
I don't see anything in there about it being for NH residents only: http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedFiles/Crime/Signed NH Agreement.pdf

It just says:
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will recognize valid New Hampshire permits to carry concealed firearms by valid permit holders while said permit holders are present in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

I would think a NH non-res would still be considered a valid New Hampshire permit.

Last edited:
ok... how do these states deal with restricted MA LTCs?

Restriction? What's a restriction. I don't recall any application for a non resident asking about any restrictions on my MA license. As a result, it shouldn't be an issue with those states. I can speak for NH, ME, PA, and FL in that regard. At least as of about 3 years ago.

Ahh, marketing.

I have FL, but not UT. All UT buys me is Minnesota, grew up there, haven't really ever been back. On the other hand, I do have reasons to go to New Mexico and Washington (but I have the WA license).

- - - Updated - - -

ok... how do these states deal with restricted MA LTCs?

unknown.

I have FL, but not UT. All UT buys me is Minnesota, grew up there, haven't really ever been back. On the other hand, I do have reasons to go to New Mexico and Washington (but I have the WA license).

Yeah, I've been to Florida and New Mexico a bunch of times, but never Minnesota, Washington, or Wisconsin. I guess it just depends on where you happen to do business.

In any case, the FL non-res is a good one to get and it's pretty easy. The only PITA is the fingerprint card, but it's really not that big of a deal. You can request a packet with all the forms and everything you need on their website here: https://licensing.freshfromflorida.com/forms/FormsRequest790.aspx

Restriction? What's a restriction. I don't recall any application for a non resident asking about any restrictions on my MA license.

my question was in regards to states that let MA people carry on MA LTCs in their state.... Reciprocity.... Not non-res licenses....

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Forum Runner

my question was in regards to states that let MA people carry on MA LTCs in their state.... Reciprocity.... Not non-res licenses....

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Good question.

Since a restricted MA LTC prevents you from legally carrying here, would you be legally able to carry in any reciprocal state?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question.

Since a restricted MA LTC prevents you from legally carrying here, would you be legally able to carry in any reciprocal state?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about other states, but I understand Michigan will only honor an unrestricted MA LTC. I can't cite where I saw this, but recall someone researching it for that state.

Back
Top Bottom