Steel target sizes?

Golddiggie

NES Member
For those that have steel targets, or shoot them with any kind of regularity, what size do you find works best?

I'm looking at getting some in the 5" and 8" range (3/8" AR550 from shootsteel.com). Just a bit concerned that the 5" targets might be a bit on the small side. Most of the time I'll be shooting pistol calibers (at safe distances). But I do think I'll use my rifle calibers as well (223/5.56, 300 blk and 308 Win). With the target cost difference of almost double when going form the 5" ($28.32) to the 8" ($53.10) I need to be sure which is going to work for the longer term.

My current plan is to get four 5" and two 8" along with the t-post hanging hardware for all. Not cheap to get the full setup (for six targets) but I figure that would be a good starting point. It will let me set things up for different drills as needed. Plus I could always get different target shapes/sizes to change out what I have on one. Or add more later.

Figured I'll probably make the purchase sometime next week. So post up your experiences and help me to decide. Chances are, over time, I'll add more target types and sizes. This is just my 'starter setup'.

I use a silhouette steel that's about 8" across with a 4" head, 5" should be perfect for pistol, 8" for rifle at 100 is a good size as well, these are my opinion only and ymmv as I am a sucky shot

I use an 8" plate for rifle shooting ranging from 60-120 yards. I guess it depends on the distance you plan on shooting and with what gun.
For pistol I use the Action Target Evil Roy targets since they're portable. Looks like Brownells stopped carrying them which is ashame as they had good shipping prices and coupon codes available. I just snagged another one last summer from Brownells. Looks like you can only buy from Action Target now. For those I use a 6" and 40% IPSC target heads

I'm really just looking for something fun to hit instead of paper. No idea what I'll end up doing in the future with steel targets. I don't have an unlimited budget, so spending $160 for JUST a stand is crazy. Especially since I can get the t-post hanger at ~$40 ready to use (with shielding steel to protect it from stray hits).

I have some IPSC cardboard targets already that I plan to mix in with the steel.

Even if I mix things up and go with three of each size (5" and 8") I'll still be at under $500 ready for the range day.

I was planning to do this once I get my own house, and setup a range there. But with the new pistol (purchased Monday) I'm thinking that I'll do the initial setup now and expand it once I have my own range. I expect to start with pistol calibers. Mostly so that I'll get used to things, before adding any rifle calibers.

I'm really just looking for something fun to hit instead of paper. No idea what I'll end up doing in the future with steel targets. I don't have an unlimited budget, so spending $160 for JUST a stand is crazy. Especially since I can get the t-post hanger at ~$40 ready to use (with shielding steel to protect it from stray hits).

I have some IPSC cardboard targets already that I plan to mix in with the steel.

Even if I mix things up and go with three of each size (5" and 8") I'll still be at under $500 ready for the range day.

I was planning to do this once I get my own house, and setup a range there. But with the new pistol (purchased Monday) I'm thinking that I'll do the initial setup now and expand it once I have my own range. I expect to start with pistol calibers. Mostly so that I'll get used to things, before adding any rifle calibers.
It includes the target head as well as the stand for $160. Though I don't know about shipping costs lol. I paid $155 shipped from Brownells last year. But yeah there are cheaper options of course if using wood and t hangers lol

For those that have steel targets, or shoot them with any kind of regularity, what size do you find works best?

I'm looking at getting some in the 5" and 8" range (3/8" AR550 from shootsteel.com). Just a bit concerned that the 5" targets might be a bit on the small side. Most of the time I'll be shooting pistol calibers (at safe distances). But I do think I'll use my rifle calibers as well (223/5.56, 300 blk and 308 Win). With the target cost difference of almost double when going form the 5" ($28.32) to the 8" ($53.10) I need to be sure which is going to work for the longer term.

My current plan is to get four 5" and two 8" along with the t-post hanging hardware for all. Not cheap to get the full setup (for six targets) but I figure that would be a good starting point. It will let me set things up for different drills as needed. Plus I could always get different target shapes/sizes to change out what I have on one. Or add more later.

Figured I'll probably make the purchase sometime next week. So post up your experiences and help me to decide. Chances are, over time, I'll add more target types and sizes. This is just my 'starter setup'.
My recommendation is use Steel Challenge sizes and set them up all over the place. Make it challenging.

Maybe even set up a steel challenge stage at 100 or 150 yards when shooting with a rifle carttidge for a nice challenge ... see how fast you can hit all 5 targets.

so, the limit for the steel will be size and weight, as the 308 smack at the smallest 3" plates will send them flying and twisting around the support rods.
if your rifles are all scoped - 5" works well, as it is challenging enough.
if guns are all iron sighted - the the 8" or 12" should be probably the size, for 100-200 yds ranges. i presume you are not hanging them closer than a 100yds.
take a 1/2" heavier ones for smaller plates, or 308 will send them flying. and you will need heavy chains for 5 or 4" plates too.

i would buy this set, probably, as it seems to have enough to cover from 50 to 300yds for my taste:

if you have a 300yds distance - this one is very convenient to zero your gun at - i use such one often at harvard 300 with ammo types my scope is not set for.

Shoot Steel calls out their 3/8" AR550 targets as being good for the rifle calibers I have (hardest hitting is 308 Winchester). Most likely I'll not go above the AR15 in either 5.56 or 300 Blk for this set.

I'd be using these in the action bays at Pelham fish and game, so no option for 100+ yards. I'm not even sure if the large bays are a full 100 yards long (at maximum shooting distance). I'll also be setting all this up myself, so having a shorter setup time is of value. With 1/2" plates, setting things up will take longer (gongs).

I'm heading to the range tomorrow to hit some paper. I need to see if there are any steel targets still in any of the action bays or not. There was some years back, but at some point they either moved or were removed completely.

Another vote for make it ring. Good prices so you can afford to grab a few more prices than you need or until you figure out what your discipline is going to be.

From the Shoot Steel page:

Choosing a Thickness and Material:
1/4” AR400
Designed to handle centerfire handguns up to 45ACP. The 1/4” AR400 works with 38sp, 9mm, 40S&W and similar cartridges. Great for shooters looking for a deal on handgun targets and rimfire targets. For club and training use please see our 3/8” AR500.

3/8” AR550 Designed to handle magnum handguns and rifles up to 308, also great for 223/5.56, 5.45x39, 7.62x39 and similar. These targets will handle rugged everyday handgun use associated with clubs and training.

1/2” AR550 Designed for rugged daily rifle use, including 300 and 338 magnum rifles

3/4” AR500 Designed for 50BMG, also works with large 375, 416 and 408 cartridges.

This info is why I'm looking at the 3/8" AR550 targets. They also list 308 Winchester for use on this size at 100 yards (in a chart on the same page). I don't currently own anything that would make a thicker plate necessary. Another reason I'm going with 3/8" is they call that out for use with 357 Magnum, which I do have (GP100). IF I get something in a larger/faster caliber that make thicker plates necessary, I'll address it at that time.
I also have a large piece of AR400 plate (1/2" thick) that I COULD convert into targets later. Very low on the priority list right now. Especially since I don't have a way to cut it currently.

I was cutting AR450 (Hardox), 1/4" for handgun. Ordered a handful of caps from GT target and burned in similar hooks. Then made caps out of 2x4 structural.
Definitely want to go 3/8 for rifle.

I think theres a fab shop in New Bedford that makes all the props for Walls of Steel, there may be a fab shop up your way that cuts for a club, maybe ask around up there.

I was cutting AR450 (Hardox), 1/4" for handgun. Ordered a handful of caps from GT target and burned in similar hooks. Then made caps out of 2x4 structural.
Definitely want to go 3/8 for rifle.

I think theres a fab shop in New Bedford that makes all the props for Walls of Steel, there may be a fab shop up your way that cuts for a club, maybe ask around up there.
If this was a few years ago around the Holbrook area I think I bought one from you.

The stand is one of my favorites, all I did was drill some holes so I can spike it if needed.

The target has held up decent to several thousand rounds but a few weeks ago I did notice the mounting hanger is starting to break on the weld.

Unfortunately it’s technically not allowed at Pelham since it’s not AR500 or better. I still use it depending on where.

image.jpg
image.jpg

I found the 2/3 scale ipsc targets work best for me. I run those in 3/8 AR500 for pistol targets and 3/8 AR550 on Short range rifle targets. I like this size because it focuses me more on the zones that count.

Determine your goals,.. and buy accordingly,.. only use for a 5" is at 100 yards for rifle precision shots,.. you should be 30' away from your steel with pistols so run 8" and move them farther away for more of a challenge,.. but smaller = more time to give that shot it's proper attention. Are you looking for speed shooting/ El president drills? Get some A/C zones,.. cost doesn't matter here,.. buy what you will grind on.

*for display purposes only,...
Get some pins cause they are a hoot!

View attachment 630036
Angle them 'down' as well. Some splatter will always come back, but if it hits the ground first it'll be moving slower.

If this was a few years ago around the Holbrook area I think I bought one from you.

The stand is one of my favorites, all I did was drill some holes so I can spike it if needed.

The target has held up decent to several thousand rounds but a few weeks ago I did notice the mounting hanger is starting to break on the weld.

Unfortunately it’s technically not allowed at Pelham since it’s not AR500 or better. I still use it depending on where.

View attachment 630211
View attachment 630212
We were constantly repairing the steel at FLETC. They used bolts instead of welds. Every class someone hit the bolt and blew it apart. It was almost a game of 'when will one drop' on the steel ranges.

I have a friend with a plasma cutter. Maybe I'll see if I can get him to cut some targets from the AR400 plate. Could also make some shields for the t-posts I'll be using to hold the targets.

Changed the targets in my cart to just four of the 8" diameter ones. I can always add smaller, or larger, ones later. As well as different shapes.

View attachment 630211
View attachment 630212

Was me indeed

Unfortunately, I am no longer in the North to re-weld it.
Several thousand rounds is an impressive pounding, I will say that.

Two 12 x 18 and free shipping off fleebay. Hold up fine to a 240gr 44 magnum at 30 feet. (Showed up in 4 days.)
Have not shot 5.56 at them yet. Need to be 100 yards away per instructions.

Will they be used for taking to a range, or setting up permanently or semi permanently on your property?
I ask because you said T post hangers. While the posts are very affordable, they suck for hammering into the ground if you are going to and from a range with them. If you are going to set up and leave on your property then its non issue. If you will be bringing to a range I would get the 2x4 bases, much easier to setup / take down.
Check out Atlas targets , I recently purchased some targets from them and I am very happy with them

From the Shoot Steel page:

Choosing a Thickness and Material:
1/4” AR400
Designed to handle centerfire handguns up to 45ACP. The 1/4” AR400 works with 38sp, 9mm, 40S&W and similar cartridges. Great for shooters looking for a deal on handgun targets and rimfire targets. For club and training use please see our 3/8” AR500.

3/8” AR550 Designed to handle magnum handguns and rifles up to 308, also great for 223/5.56, 5.45x39, 7.62x39 and similar. These targets will handle rugged everyday handgun use associated with clubs and training.

1/2” AR550 Designed for rugged daily rifle use, including 300 and 338 magnum rifles

3/4” AR500 Designed for 50BMG, also works with large 375, 416 and 408 cartridges.

This info is why I'm looking at the 3/8" AR550 targets. They also list 308 Winchester for use on this size at 100 yards (in a chart on the same page). I don't currently own anything that would make a thicker plate necessary. Another reason I'm going with 3/8" is they call that out for use with 357 Magnum, which I do have (GP100). IF I get something in a larger/faster caliber that make thicker plates necessary, I'll address it at that time.
I also have a large piece of AR400 plate (1/2" thick) that I COULD convert into targets later. Very low on the priority list right now. Especially since I don't have a way to cut it currently.
I have a flame cutting table in Lawrence if anyone needs something banged out. Welders and a good supply of barstock, angle iron etc.

Here is my setup… I have accumulated a few pieces over the years, but the best thing I have found were the “Arntzen” stands that are made out of steel and are just one piece no need to worry about target bases, 2x4’s and a caps, they fold up nice and flat for storage and transport… available from Madetargets.com.
then you need to be able to get your steel to the range and setup, thats where my custom wagon comes into play… large garden cart that holds up to 1500 lbs, large wheels and tires and I added a winch in my truck bed to pull it up and lower it off my truck….

Attachments

• 25747B87-047F-4E75-A0B6-D6CBAB42E348.jpeg
    25747B87-047F-4E75-A0B6-D6CBAB42E348.jpeg
    459.9 KB · Views: 18
  • B013A345-3D1C-4073-B3F5-EB8DFC0850ED.jpeg
    B013A345-3D1C-4073-B3F5-EB8DFC0850ED.jpeg
    339.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 408EAEC4-057D-45DF-9EBB-DA708DD86C83.jpeg
    408EAEC4-057D-45DF-9EBB-DA708DD86C83.jpeg
    368.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 1DB87537-18CB-4720-8599-F1BA7FB11760.jpeg
    1DB87537-18CB-4720-8599-F1BA7FB11760.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 51965A6D-0224-4907-B1E8-15CC33F3ACDA.jpeg
    51965A6D-0224-4907-B1E8-15CC33F3ACDA.jpeg
    361.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 7E8D5724-75C0-4C29-A1BF-6CB65B7C557E.jpeg
    7E8D5724-75C0-4C29-A1BF-6CB65B7C557E.jpeg
    427.9 KB · Views: 15
  • C36CF9AB-B972-4A1A-AFA0-C2923AA8BD18.jpeg
    C36CF9AB-B972-4A1A-AFA0-C2923AA8BD18.jpeg
    361.9 KB · Views: 18
I have a 1/2" thick 6" circle that I use for my 5.56 rifle at 100 yards (non-steel-cored, of course). I recently picked up a 10" for use with handguns up to 50 yards, but haven't had it out to the range yet.

Sorry, I don't have anything exotic, but it swings and goes ding when hit. Unknown grade of steel, about 12" x 12" and 1" thick. Frangibles are best to minimize ricochet hazards, but standard bullets are ok at safe distances (jacketed bullets can still come back at you on occasion).

Attachments

• Steel Plate.jpg
    Steel Plate.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 10
Spend your money on nice targets and make your own stands. I use 2x4x10 lumber, cheap saw horse brackets with grade 8 steel bolts and standard steel chain and haven’t had an issue over many years of use with both pistol calibers and 223. The lumber is now peppered with shrapnel so work gloves are helpful getting it all set up. A variety is nice but starting out I would get an 8” and also something bigger like a 12” or 16”. 223 will leave a little pitting if setup within 75 yards however a very minor issue.
The picture below shows a string of 8” square targets and the biggest on the right side is 16”.

Attachments

• 83124649-0FA5-42CA-8429-F7A6798350BF.jpeg
    83124649-0FA5-42CA-8429-F7A6798350BF.jpeg
    721.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I have shot my 3/8" AR550 plates with my 6.5 CM at 100 yds with not a scratch except the paint. I know that's a waste of ammo at that range but could not resist while shooting my .223.

be using these in the action bays at Pelham fish and game, so no option for 100+ yards
are you sure club allows private steel plates to be shot with centerfire rifles at a short action bays? fine if they do, but a lot of clubs don`t, due to a ricochet concerns.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom