Step aside 6.5 Creedmoor

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkCuUbU94XQ

(In all honesty, I know nothing about either of these cartridges, and didn't see much on it here on NES, but just saw something on the 6.5 PRC somewhere else, so looked it up, and now I'm sharing that.)

One of the reasons I like 6.5 CM is that you don't have to change your barrel after 1000 rounds. I guess this would pick up the favorable long range ballistics of the 6.5 CM, with higher velocity, at higher cost all around.

Yep, I'm building a new rifle and looked at the 6.5 PRC. Nice round but to me not worth the extra cost to move to. It's basically a magnum ver. of the 6.5CM. Shoots about 200-300fps faster and if you are using factory ammo will fit into a short action. The issues with this round is 1-if you reload and want to run longer COAL's you can't with out some magazine/action customization. 2. The rounds feeding in a short action is do-able but more people go to mid length or long action for this size round. Lastly, the extra powder will burn out the barrel even faster than the 6.5CM not to mention the extra recoil.

For me 6.5 CM is the perfect balanced precision round for what i use it for.

Now if i was going to go with one of the new PRC calibers it would be 300PRC. It is basically a more modern version of the 300 win mag.

6.5 PRC doesn’t pique my interest. I like 6.5 CM because of its compatibility with 7.62x51 semi auto guns. Just a barrel change and I have some nicely improved ballistics.

6.5 PRC is a whole other ball game for a couple extra hundred FPS? If I’m going for a long-barreled bolt gun, there are other options I’d look at. Who knows, maybe 6.5 PRC will price to be a more affordable option compared to some of the more powerful 300/338 cartridges.

"Short & Fat is Where it's At"

That's the most effective design for burning powder quickly and consistently. Look at .284 Winchester and 7.5 Swiss in older designs, and 6.5 Creedmore is a stubby .308 necked down. This 6.5 PRC is longer, but thicker to keep the proportions.

If I were get into the precision centerfire bolt action game, I would go with the Creedmore. If I wanted to play the 1k+ game, I would step up to something a lot bigger.

FYI, for precision long range shooting
6 and 6.5CM is good up to 1000 yards with more energy and less drop and wind-age than 308
6.5 PRC shoots same bullet as 6.5CM with larger cartridge but faster and it good for 1500 yards
300prc is good for over a mile.

Also there is 6.5 SAUM which shoots even faster than the 6.5 PRC 3200fps with 140gr bullet.

anyway I live in Ma. so anything more powerful than a pellet gun is most likely more than enough at the ranges i'm shooting.

26 Nosler is another hot 6.5mm +-3400fps with a 129gr bullet. Given the range potential of 6.5 CM or 260 remington with 140gr bullets these new super hot cartridges seem to be a real niche market for very long range competition or bragging rights for the longest shot at an Antelope.

26 Nosler is another hot 6.5mm +-3400fps with a 129gr bullet. Given the range potential of 6.5 CM or 260 remington with 140gr bullets these new super hot cartridges seem to be a real niche market for very long range competition or bragging rights for the longest shot at an Antelope.
.26 Nosler cooks barrels fairly quickly.

6.5 PRC doesn’t pay off vs the CM.
looked at Hodgdon and you only gain 100-150 FPS with any bullet weight. No thanks.
you burn 50% more powder for that type of gain.
I’ll pass.

.26 Nosler cooks barrels fairly quickly.

Yeah it would suck only getting 1500 rounds through a barrel before it burns the throat out.
6.5 CM with good quality barrel should get you 3000-5000 rounds depending if you reload hot or not. 308 should get you 6000+ rounds.

I do like the new wildcat 22 round. 22CM. 80gr bullet at 3400+ fps. Some hot reloads have been closer to 3800 fps+. My bolt action has interchangeable bolt faces (Zermatt Arms Origin) and I might get a 2nd prefit barrel in that caliber and reload it.

99% of American "Riflemen" have not the brains or the skill to utilize a .308 or 6.5 cm to their potential, yet everybody is itching to buy the latest and greatest because they want to "shoot long range".

I do not see an issue with that. It better to have more potential and not use it than not have it at all. I most likely do not have the skills right now to shoot 1000+ yards. Does that mean to i should not own a precision rifle? Maybe i should only shoot .22LR. I can easily shoot 100-300yards with 308 or 6.5CM. I also know past 500-600yards there is allot more skill to shooting than just dialing up your scope. I do plan on taking a day trip to a 1000yard range and take a class or two.

I do not see an issue with that. It better to have more potential and not use it than not have it at all. I most likely do not have the skills right now to shoot 1000+ yards. Does that mean to i should not own a precision rifle? Maybe i should only shoot .22LR. I can easily shoot 100-300yards with 308 or 6.5CM. I also know past 500-600yards there is allot more skill to shooting than just dialing up your scope. I do plan on taking a day trip to a 1000yard range and take a class or two.
Not what I meant at all. My point was that everybody talks about ""shooting long range" when they have no experience beyond 2-300 yards. There are numerous opportunities in New England to safely shoot out to 600 yards almost weekend with some of the most skilled rifle shooters on the country, yet I see very few new shooters at these matches. It's great to have a rifle capable of shooting 1500 yards, but it's greater to be able to effectively use a more standard caliber closer in.

1) Not what I meant at all. My point was that everybody talks about ""shooting long range" when they have no experience beyond 2-300 yards.

2) it's greater to be able to effectively use a more standard caliber closer in.
1. 120 is max at my club. That is plenty. To me, 200 is medium long range, and 300+ IS long range (for me).
2. I'm all heck with a .22 from 0 to 75 yards!

;):D[rockon][rofl][mg]

Not what I meant at all. My point was that everybody talks about ""shooting long range" when they have no experience beyond 2-300 yards. There are numerous opportunities in New England to safely shoot out to 600 yards almost weekend with some of the most skilled rifle shooters on the country, yet I see very few new shooters at these matches. It's great to have a rifle capable of shooting 1500 yards, but it's greater to be able to effectively use a more standard caliber closer in.

Lack of shooters at these matches could mostly be apprehension to be scored in front of others. We see the same issue for CMP matches, which IMHO are more newb friendly than Highpower. I do agree that anyone with an interest could get the necessary support to get started in Highpower and frequently shoot to 600 yards. I don't shoot Highpower often and despite being OK, not great, at 600 (edit) I am never out of the black. If I can do it, it should be attainable for almost anyone.

This 6.5 PRC round seems like the 6.5mm version of 224 Valkyrie. Maybe it will keep a niche following as a hotrod caliber. 6.5 CM has hit mainstream and I doubt it's going to go away anytime soon. Nothing wrong with 308 and I do shoot that caliber in competition, but it's realistically not a 1,000 yard round and the recoil is heavier than 6.5 CM. Plus there are no cool memes about 308...

413880035.jpg
t50x646g8cu01.jpg
d0b3243ca21ffd8284fcf165cc9fcdcc.jpg

Last edited:
Long range is also not cheap. Take F class, without going custom, what is the best option out there? Savage FTR? And that is $1200 + scope + a nice competition bipod. You are well over $2200. And that doesnt include a spotting scope.

Then you need to reload and have the patience to develop a load, which also has it costs if you need to buy several powders/bullets/primers. A lot of younger people dont reload at all, so that's an additional entry cost.

And then you have to take into account that most F class around the country is shot between 600-1000 yards. Now that Granby is dealing with the town, we dont have a 1K yard range to practice. So, assuming you are a member of the 2 or 3 clubs that have 600 yards, how will you travel to other matches and try to be competitive?

And ... the majority of people just dont like load development, being patient, and competing.

One of my favorite parts is load development. The second is trying to master the ancient Jedi art of reading the f*cking wind. Lol. Takes a lot of patience.

All my friends just want to show up to the range, throw a bunch of lead at a target 100 yards and call it a day. It is what they enjoy, they have no patience to do the work.

Last edited:
Jmho but a few things

1. 6.5 CM will be around for a long time. Lower recoil and less drop and wind drift going out to 1000 yards than .308. There may be better choices but this is and will be mass market winner.

2. Top PRS shooters quickly left 6.5 CM to go to 6CM then left that for other 6mm cartridges . But the cartridges they went to are barrel burners and will never go main stream For average Joe shooting to 1000 yards 6.5 CM is fine

3. I think the 6.5 PRC may catch on with hunters who feel under gunned with 6.5 CM, but will not be anywhere near as popular as 6.5 CM. They will be drawn to “magnum 6.5 CM” comparison on game. My best friend is example. He has killed a lot of deer. Uses a 7 mm Mag as does his wife. Bought a .243 for deer but in 20 years never hunted with it nor his .308. But after reading about 6.5 PRC he immediately bought one. Plans to be his new deer rifle. He will likely never shoot it past 200 yards

For myself I usually shoot 600 yards plus twice a month

For 600 yard KD range AR is fine but my load and set up is maxed there

I find my .308 gets me consistently to 700 plus yards. Im still learning

My 6.5 CM is easier to get hits farther and more consistently with less recoil than .308 yet I shoot my .308 more.

I have no need for 6.5 PRC for range or hunting use. I don’t expect 6.5 PRC to have large following.

Where do you shoot past 600 yards?

I'm a member at Reading and Granby. So those two cover my mid range needs.

Yeah it would suck only getting 1500 rounds through a barrel before it burns the throat out.
6.5 CM with good quality barrel should get you 3000-5000 rounds depending if you reload hot or not. 308 should get you 6000+ rounds.

I do like the new wildcat 22 round. 22CM. 80gr bullet at 3400+ fps. Some hot reloads have been closer to 3800 fps+. My bolt action has interchangeable bolt faces (Zermatt Arms Origin) and I might get a 2nd prefit barrel in that caliber and reload it.
.26 Nosler would last an entire hunting career if its owner fired a box or two for sighting-in and maybe a box or two each year before hunting season to confirm zero. Definitely not for the high volume shooting required in serious competition.

Back
Top Bottom