Sticky spotter situation?

1903Collector

NES Member
Haven't used my spotting scope in a while, this weekend I took it out of the case and the rubberized coating on it is all sticky. It's a konus spotter and otherwise in good shape. Anybody have any ideas on how to remove the sticki-ness?

I was just thinking of wrapping it with some camo fabric or something like that.

thanks,
W.

Wipe it down with Goo Gone?? Not sure if this would cause any kind of log term damage so you may want to read the label closely. I use it to get rid of anything sticky and I swear by it.

Trade off for inexpensive optics. The rubber breaks down , my Konus did the same thing. I used dish soap/warm water dried it then used talc powder on it. The tackie feeling never really goes away until the coating completely fails.

Trade off for inexpensive optics. The rubber breaks down , my Konus did the same thing. I used dish soap/warm water dried it then used talc powder on it. The tackie feeling never really goes away until the coating completely fails.
That's too bad, optically its a pretty decent scope.

Guess I'll just wrap it with some camo fabric. I'll look all tacti-cool on the range too!

I had the same thing happen with an older set of gen-1 night vision binoculars that I picked up around 2005. I stored it in a normal heated area of the house.

About 2015, the plastic housing broke down and the surfaces got sticky.

I looked up the problem and solution at the time, and the way to deal with it, is as was already stated here. The only difference is that I cleaned it up with isopropyl alcohol instead of goo off.

Dug my Konus out today. Same problem. Guess I’ll tape it. I did buy a Roylex Canoe that was sticky. I used denatured alcohol on it and that fixed it.

Last edited:
I don't have a picture but the tape worked out very well, scope looks so tacti-cool and no more sticky!!!
Give it a few months to a year and that camo tape (if it’s the self clinging style) will also get sticky AF on the outside. I’ve used it for years on knife handles and it always feels great at first, but oozes some shit out after a while that stays on your hand after handling.

Give it a few months to a year and that camo tape (if it’s the self clinging style) will also get sticky AF on the outside. I’ve used it for years on knife handles and it always feels great at first, but oozes some shit out after a while that stays on your hand after handling.
LOL...Just keep wrapping it up till it's like ten times it's original size.

Back
Top Bottom